Best 25 caliber to consider on a build.

No lies, I am a supporter of the 25-06. If it isn't enough my first jump into deep water would be the 25-06AI. I haven't gone through any barrels on my current 25-06, stock tang safety Ruger Mod 77, but I have heard that the 25-06AI has a propensity for short barrel life. I will agree with others, what are you going to do with it? That will be the deciding factor.
As always, YMMV and just my two cents worth.

I think it’s no denying the 25 creed is the easiest option here, both in terms of components, and easy of loading, plus exceptional barrel life if you want to target shoot with it.
25 prc is easy button of wanting a magnum. Even though the 25 creed with a 26” barrel will do everything needed to a really long ways out with less recoil. But solid option if looking to go shorter barrel and suppressed. I’ve talked to a few smiths on this one and general consensus seems to be go long action to maximize it and run hunter mags with spacer.
25-280ai has a pretty cool factor to it to me and it may be something I want to try in the near future! Should feed smooth as butter and match or exceed the 25 prc, as I think the capacity is almost the same as the Saum. But would require a long action I would think

With new barrel blanks and chambering, costs can run $700-$900, not including postage. In some, cases, powder choice may play an impact in making the best of long-term investment. N160, N165, AA2700(coolest of them all), and H1000 extend barrel life considerably.

I was horrified when my favorite caliber started showing fire cracking within 200 rounds of using R#17, and 600 rounds later, the accuracy was toast. Not only had the surface begun to look like the moon's surface, but the throat dia had opened up .0026, measured with oversized reamer pilots on a Grizzley rod. No wonder I lost velocity.

My conclusion: know your distance, and build for that longest distance shot to save time, money, and aggravation on a new barrel.

My minimal choice would be a 25 Creed, then a 257 Roberts AI, and then a 25 Sherman.

I started out with 25/06, in 1983 to be exact.
A 17deg shoulder flows too much brass, and I’ll take Peterson’s over any manufactured for the standard chamber.
If iI am going to neck down/blow out cases, they might as well end up at 40* for all the benefits.
I went through the Ackley Imp version too, by the way.
Good luck, awesome choices are available.

Ever heard anybody say they prefer a .280 Rem over the AI version?
Yeah, my gunsmith prefers the Rem over the AI. Peterson makes Rem brass too.

The 25 Sherman LA is awfully close to 257wby, minus 12+ grains of powder.
100gr at 3700+
115 at 3550+
133 at 3300
These are the max velocities I’ve found with Peterson brass, without pushing very hard. Simple neck down and fire with 280AI brass is the route I went.
25 cal is so much fun.

The 25 PRC/SI is looking like a great one, from the testing so far.
Presently having a 25/280AI being built. The only thing is stepping the case down. I found that it can take 3 to 4 steps to change a 280AI case to 25 or 243 calibers. I do have 6mm/280AI, but haven't gotten my reloading shack completed yet. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks and it will be done.

Presently having a 25/280AI being built. The only thing is stepping the case down. I found that it can take 3 to 4 steps to change a 280AI case to 25 or 243 calibers. I do have 6mm/280AI, but haven't gotten my reloading shack completed yet. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks and it will be done.
I’m using 2 bushing changes, going from .284 to .257
It’s worked good so far.
IMG_6039.jpeg

I can’t for the life of me understand that one, but to each their own.
Remington is cutting people a heckuva deal on brass, compared to Graf’s price for Peterson.
Remington maybe cutting a deal on brass, but it's all in what you want for concentricity in your brass. I have used Rem brass in a long time in anything, but at that time I was waighing my brass, and there was quite-=a-bit of differenc between each case weight. i know that Peterson brass has gone up a lot over the pass 1.5yrs or so. I started out at about $450.00 for 500 cases, and that up above that by a long shot. I think the last 500 were $550.00 and now. Just purchased 250 cases of Peterson Brass @ $413.00 including shipping. So now they are about $2.00 each. I see other asking that much for there brass.

Peterson makes Remington brass NHenry tells us.

I’m not buying Rem headstamp brass either. There was no Peterson that I knew of, the last time I bought R-P head stamps. Maybe the 90’s?

Been a long time.