Best 25 caliber to consider on a build.

25 cal….(my favorite)
If you’re killing things….94% of the available performance of 25 cal can be had with a 2506…cost effectively.

That additional 6% “performance” of the 257Wby,/ 25-300 and other Guicci cases comes at an extreme cost in powder, cases and barrel life….

Paper/steel target tapping at distance with the occasional medium sized game animal…then 25 Creedmoor w/fast twist barrel/highest BC bullets and for scope dialing…..

(note that the 1:8 barrel twist of a 25 Creedmoor is the exact number of turns in the manbuns worn by the guys that shoot em.)
:eek:

The 25 Sherman LA is awfully close to 257wby, minus 12+ grains of powder.
100gr at 3700+
115 at 3550+
133 at 3300
These are the max velocities I’ve found with Peterson brass, without pushing very hard. Simple neck down and fire with 280AI brass is the route I went.
25 cal is so much fun.

The 25 PRC/SI is looking like a great one, from the testing so far.

If you want a short/meduim action build a 25PRC or 25 SAUM.
If you want to shoot it more than just for hunting and give up some velocity go 25 Creedmoor

In long action there are many options. I will just say I would do a 25-280 AI if it were me but in a standard boltface. As for the big magnums I have no experience so I will pass that to those over compensating 😂😂.

Bryan284, we may have met the same gunsmith, in a Deer club where he flies a Helicopter for population count. Shilen 12T-26", 25/06, 100g Sierra flat base at 3600, R#25, and 117g Sierra flat base at 3300. I did not believe it till I saw friends from Hickory, NC shoot his while we worked up loads at the rifle range. Took a total of 15 rounds to get sighted in and verify the load!

Phil's Sherman looks like a winner, hands down. We are shooting the 115g Berger VLD hunting in 25" 9 Twists with velocity at 3590 fps and the 110g Nosler accubonds at 3600 with deer never taking a step on bullet impact.

Look at all of the ballistics. Now that you have educated yourself you have to remind yourself that you will need brass in order to shoot it.
So ask yourself; Do you want to hunt, just punch paper or perhaps you just want something to play with and talk about.

Now you have enough information. Go with the 25-06.

I started out with 25/06, in 1983 to be exact.
A 17deg shoulder flows too much brass, and I’ll take Peterson’s over any manufactured for the standard chamber.
If iI am going to neck down/blow out cases, they might as well end up at 40* for all the benefits.
I went through the Ackley Imp version too, by the way.
Good luck, awesome choices are available.

Ever heard anybody say they prefer a .280 Rem over the AI version?

Attachments

• IMG_5614.jpeg
    IMG_5614.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 28
I don’t know about brass availability but I’ve had my mind on a 25-6.5RpM this weekend for when the barrel I inherited dies. But 25-06 is nice to work with. Brass selection isn’t good if headstamps matter, but I haven’t hd any trouble one step sizing 270. Die selection is more limited, which is annoying. But it’s a friendly cartridge. I like playing with the original but eliminating most trimming would be nice and the 25-280AI sounds like a great way to go.

If you’re thinking short, I think 25 PRC would be almost a no brainer. I say that as a saum owner. Slightly less overbore, super brass and die availability. Have fun!

Recent Posts