Bear protection handguns?

While I've hunted states where the big carnivore bears roam, my experience over all is very small regarding these bears and encountering them. Far more members here have a ton more experience and knowledge of these animals. I don't even claim to have the knowledge of many here I cannot even begin to list that I've read the experiences from. Where I do have experience is in defense but more from bipeds than quadrupeds. The same rule applies tho for staying alive. Time behind the pistol and training in scenarios as what one might encounter in the wild. I'm covering all of those bases and feel confident. Only a few seconds will matter if an event ever occurs. I plan on making that few seconds favor my longevity rather than the bears. Ultimately that's out of my hands and in the hands of a much higher power. When my expiration date arrives, I'll be prepared to defend life over death. Hope I can be here to post my experience if it ever happens.

Would be a great time for the Glock boys to make a dedicated Grizzlybar pistol in 45 Win Mag for all the future potential charging bears. Takes a 230 grain slug doing 1,400fps = an even 1,000 ft lbs. Even 300 grain loads are possible, come on Glock!!

Listen to this Kid and decide for yourself about how important the grip is.

Now I’m rethinking the guns I carry 😵‍💫
I packed a 1911 of several flavors and shot quite a bit with that old gun and I still shoot WAY better with one than the Glocks I’ve slowly began to favor.
Sooo… who makes the best plastic pistol with a grip closest to the 1911? 🤔

I packed a 1911 of several flavors and shot quite a bit with that old gun and I still shoot WAY better with one than the Glocks I’ve slowly began to favor.
Maybe the one that started the polymer hand guns, the H&K VP70----nevermind...ignore

Sig Sauer P220 SAO - not plastic, but feels much like 1911, little heavier, and on safe you can rack the slide.

Would be a great time for the Glock boys to make a dedicated Grizzlybar pistol in 45 Win Mag for all the future potential charging bears. Takes a 230 grain slug doing 1,400fps = an even 1,000 ft lbs. Even 300 grain loads are possible, come on Glock!!
What amazes me is how much velocity and energy is gained in a pistol just increasing barrel length a bit. Going to a 6" barrel gets the 10mm quite a bit more performance. Some like the 45 Super conversion while I'd probably opt for the 460 Rowland if I wanted a bigger step up in performance. Not a fan of brakes for woods carry defense as they require hearing protection. I suppose if I needed the gun for a bear defense scenario, my hearing would probably be the last thing I'd worry about but that's still an issue. Recoil and followup shots are still important. The Rowland is roughy equal to a 10mm (without a brake) recoil wise. Another nice thing about converting the G21 to a Rowland is it will still shoot the 45 ACP round.

Last edited: