Bear protection handguns?

Someone posted the guy pulling a target behind a snowmobile or quad on snow shooting a couple guns to see which he could get on target the best. Years ago I made a sled that did the same. Wasn't on snow but same concept. I also favored the 10mm or some auto loader. I couldn't get more than 2 rounds off with my M29 or S&S 460. Shots weren't on target either. Tried the 41 magnum also. Failed on all. I'm not just a fan of the 10mm because I love the round. I favor it because I can put 5-6 good hits on a bear target while coming at me fast. That doesn't factor in the real life adrenalin but imagine that while trying to shoot a big bore magnum wheel gun. It's gets even worse.

Grip and feel are pretty important imo. Grip is going to allow for better function if semi auto. And for better pointability for either revolver or semi auto. Feel is going to give the shooter more confidence. If I were to carry a Sig again then I'd opt for the P229. The 320 series doesn't give me confidence. I'm not going to be one of their beta testers. Not when my butt is on the line.

Someone posted the guy pulling a target behind a snowmobile or quad on snow shooting a couple guns to see which he could get on target the best. Years ago I made a sled that did the same. Wasn't on snow but same concept. I also favored the 10mm or some auto loader. I couldn't get more than 2 rounds off with my M29 or S&S 460. Tried the 41 magnum also. Failed on all. I'm not just a fan of the 10mm because I love the round. I favor it because I can put 5-6 good hits on a bear target while coming at me fast. That doesn't factor in the real life adrenalin but imagine that while trying to shoot a big bore magnum wheel gun. It's gets even worse.
In the last days of me training LEO's I made a moving target using a remote controlled car pulling a balloon elevated by a small diameter dowel. But that for for advanced shooters with invite only for the class. Or a thumbs up from one of the advanced students.

I got real dependent on that platform defense pistol. Had I not been carrying and using one for so many years, I may feel the same
Just like everything else, it all comes down to training. I only have one striker pistol and I don't use it enough to be profficient. I do want a Sig DA/SA 10mm, just cant afford one now, and since I will not face any bears, I dont need one.

I am by no means an expert handgun shooter, but fit means a great deal to me. I have average sized hands but chose my last pistol based on fit. It came with different grip spacers for the rear (HK45). I still shoot revolvers more accurately. I find it interesting that I can generally put the first shot more accurately with SW500 and a Python 357 than the HK45. Every auto loader pistol I have ever had that experienced stove pipes or failure to fire when practicing have been sold including a beautiful Kimber custom shop. Glocks just never felt good in my hand and were definitely not pleasing to my eyes.

Every auto loader pistol I have ever had that experienced stove pipes or failure to fire when practicing have been sold including a beautiful Kimber custom shop. Glocks just never felt good in my hand and were definitely not pleasing to my eyes.
Sounds like you need to get over aesthetics and feel, and buy a Glock and a case of ammo. 😜

I find it interesting that I can generally put the first shot more accurately with SW500 and a Python 357 than the HK45.
first round hits are nice. But multiple follow up rounds on target are better. That’s much harder with a revolver than a semi auto.

Sounds like you need to get over aesthetics and feel, and buy a Glock and a case of ammo. 😜

first round hits are nice. But multiple follow up rounds on target are better. That’s much harder with a revolver than a semi auto.
Drawing and acquiring the target super fast with a Big Bore magnum doesn't lend itself to any accurate first shot scenario. Sure some can and I applaud their skills. It's just not gonna happen with 95% of the people wanting a bear defense pistol. Again, whatever you feel confident using but be 100% honest with yourself and don't be that guy bragging about what he carries on the Bear bush for defense. Listen to most of the Alaskan guides today about this subject. 10-15 years ago those same guides swore by the big bore magnums. Not so much today. They are jumping on the other train where shooting an accurate fast followup pistol is more important. Especially one that shoots fast and accurate and carries much more comfortably. Use what you can shoot best. Glocks don't rule in that category.

I absolutely agree with this. I may not agree with some people's choices but in the end it's an individual choice.
There was a member here that is no longer on the forum. He bashed the heck out of those that chose the 10mm for a bear defense choice. I mean had no problem doing it because he shot a 44 magnum. Constantly kept insisting it didn't have enough power to get in the bear where it needed to be to stop it. States that it was inadequate. All ignorant statements as it's been proven false dozens of times. Now with all the Western and Alaskan guides also concluding that the 357, 40 caliber and even 9mm calibers can and have worked on stopping these threats, I see less people making those false statements. Funny how these things work.