7mm STW Reloading Thread

Well I have finally found some time to get out and try some loads in my custom STW.

I went through the barrel break in process a while ago, but hadn't really spent much time on load development. I had worked up loads testing for pressure signs and recorded velocities, but none of the loads were grouping well at all.

The magazine will allow an OAL of 3.785" so that's where I was working from.
For a new custom rifle. (Krieger Barrel) I was getting a bit disappointed with the groups I was seeing. 2 - 4" groups at 100 yards.
So this week I went out and tried the same load in 3 shot groupings, each decreasing the OAL by 0.020"
I was really surprised with the results.

Load Details,
Nosler Custom Brass twice fired
Federal Match Primers
Hodgdon H1000 powder 81.5 gr
Matrix 168gr VLD bullets
Starting OAL was 3.785", tested down to 3.7585"

The groups started at close to 3" @ 100 yards, but with each decrease of .020" in OAL the groups shrunk, until 3.705" the group was approx. 3/4" then it started to open up again.

So it looks like the 3.705" load it what I will work with from here.
It surprised me how much varying the OAL would change the groups.

Velocity for this load is 3240 fps average, with ES of 11. (only 3 loads fired)

Hey fellas, I'm in the process of finding the sweet load for my Sendero Stw. So far it appears to be impossible. 1 1/2 at a 100 is the best I've gotten with 140 gn ballistic tips. I've tried Rl 25, H1000, and Imr 7828 so far. I've got some loads with Rl 22 and Vv N160 to try as soon as the sun shines again. Im wondering if the first 3 powders mentioned are too slow for the 140 in this rifle.

With that thought in mind I've decided to try Sierra 160 gr Hpbt with the slower powders. Any suggestions?

Grains of powder ,Primer, Seating Depth?

Sorry Butterbean...COL is 3.650 on all loads. The powders mentioned (25, 1000 and 7828) all started out at 73 grains and proceeded up to 81 with 2 gr increments. So 3 shells with , 73, 75, 77, 79 and 81.

All using 140 gr ballistic tips. Fed 215 primers.

I am the second owner of this rifle...

Hey fellas, I'm in the process of finding the sweet load for my Sendero Stw. So far it appears to be impossible. 1 1/2 at a 100 is the best I've gotten with 140 gn ballistic tips. I've tried Rl 25, H1000, and Imr 7828 so far. I've got some loads with Rl 22 and Vv N160 to try as soon as the sun shines again. Im wondering if the first 3 powders mentioned are too slow for the 140 in this rifle.

With that thought in mind I've decided to try Sierra 160 gr Hpbt with the slower powders. Any suggestions?

Try RL22. It gave me the best groups ever out of my 7stw w/ 140 gr CT ballistic silver tip.

Last edited:
Gents, I am new to the 7 STW so is it a finicky round? Any experience with ease or difficultly in reloading or is it based solely on action/barrel make? My rifle is from long shot rifles and the previous owner told me it will group 160s around .5 all day. I am just nervous since I paid alot and I dont want a cool walking stick. gun)

Well....Over the last 11 years my STW has definitely not been very picky with different ammo, bullets, bullet weights, powders, etc...

Maybe I got lucky, but mine hasn't been picky at all.

I'm gonna try Rl19,22 and Vihtavouri n160 next time out.

I may rebarrel if it doesn't group this time.
I too picked up used Sendero in 7STW not long ago.The bore looked good with my old eyes.The guy played with the trigger, it is incosistent in pull weight and creep.
I found that mine does not need to be loaded close to the lands. It shoots best ot 3.600 COL.With RL25 and 140 bts the group came together between 80.0 and 81.0 with .412 the best.
My next outing I'm going the shoot 80 to 81 in .2 increments to fine tune what it likes.
Some other bros reported that RL25 was good and I could find some. SO that is pretty much all I have tried.