7mm STW Reloading Thread

Cross thats my Bad .....I didnt pay attention although thats a wide spread as long as its grouping its all good but Im sure you can tighten it up some ....What kind of scale are you using if you dont mind me asking

I have an electonic RCBS scale. I think it is trust worthy. I have several other riffles that consistntly have less than 10 FPS in 6MM BR and a couple of .30 cal that I keep under 15fps with Retumbo powder as well.

I did not see alot of info about Retumbo, on the STW threads, so I was wondering if others had this issue as well.

This is my first STW so I am still learning, but I have figured out what all the buz is about. It is a wicked round.

I have an electonic RCBS scale. I think it is trust worthy. I have several other riffles that consistntly have less than 10 FPS in 6MM BR and a couple of .30 cal that I keep under 15fps with Retumbo powder as well.

I did not see alot of info about Retumbo, on the STW threads, so I was wondering if others had this issue as well.

This is my first STW so I am still learning, but I have figured out what all the buz is about. It is a wicked round.
Sounds like you scale is good to go................. Retumbo is a great powder but I have never tried in the STW...... I do use H-1000 with great results and I really like it but RL 25 is really outstanding in this round as well .....I personally like the H-1000 for stability but the RL 25 is really stable and it really shoots in the STW ...And I mean Really :D

I just finished breaking in a new Kreiger #5 in 1:9.

So far the the best load is;

80.5 grains of Retumbo w/ 168 VLD 3105 FPS

82 grains of Retumbo w/ 168 accubonds 3185FPS

I am going to try some H1000 and 25, I am having FPS varriances of up to 70fps, but still holding .75moa to 300 yards. Would like to get down to single digits.

Lands is 3.280" (Ogive measurement) . Best goups with berger 168 VLD is at 3.278. Accubonds are shooting best at .040 off lands.

Cross, I'm going to back up my Brother, " Butterbean" on the SD, ES, issue. In MY experience, and this is just my 2.5 cents, ( sense ), if you are shooting .75 MOA at 300 yards, I wouldn't change awful lot on the load info. In contrast to your set up, I have had the opposite, situation. Single digit ES, SD, and it shot like a shotgun!!!!
I'll take accuracy over single digits all day. theoretically, they should work hand in hand, but they don't necessarily. I DO have a load for one of my STW's that does just that, and is accurate and deadly as you could ever ask for. I have to admit, it is the exception, but not the rule.
One of my STW's is shooting 140 CT bullets, and a belly full of RL22. it has always shot bughole groups with that load. Years later, I bought a chrono, and graphed it, and was surprised to see the variance, given it's accuracy, and " fatality " record! I didn't change anything, and ain't going to either!
Also give H1000, and RL25 a try! You won't be sorry!!!!:)
Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!!!!!!!!

Cross, I'm going to back up my Brother, " Butterbean" on the SD, ES, issue. In MY experience, and this is just my 2.5 cents, ( sense ), if you are shooting .75 MOA at 300 yards, I wouldn't change awful lot on the load info. In contrast to your set up, I have had the opposite, situation. Single digit ES, SD, and it shot like a shotgun!!!!
I'll take accuracy over single digits all day. theoretically, they should work hand in hand, but they don't necessarily. I DO have a load for one of my STW's that does just that, and is accurate and deadly as you could ever ask for. I have to admit, it is the exception, but not the rule.
One of my STW's is shooting 140 CT bullets, and a belly full of RL22. it has always shot bughole groups with that load. Years later, I bought a chrono, and graphed it, and was surprised to see the variance, given it's accuracy, and " fatality " record! I didn't change anything, and ain't going to either!
Also give H1000, and RL25 a try! You won't be sorry!!!!:)
Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!!!!!!!!
+1

x and sd do not necessarily translate to accuracy. It's great when they do as it kills acuracy issues at range due to drop differences, but I've seen 100 fps x loads shoot well to 1/4 mile and not be known to have any fault until they are shamed by the chronograph. I've got a couple of loads for the 270 rifles I own at present that are over 50 fps sd and they are just fine for their intended purpose.

I've just began working loads with my first keg of H1000. I'm using Noslers manual alongside Hodgdons online manual. I'm loading 180 Sierra Hpbt and so far the group is around 1.5 inches at 100 yds. This a new rifle to me and the first time at the range. I noticed the trigger is awful stiff and has alot of creep. I'm kinda thinking an adjustment needs to be made before i cancel out any loads. Any opinions?

80G, if it has the crappy X-Mark Pro trigger, snatch it out and replace it with a Jewell, and get it tuned where you want it. Lucky for me, my old Sendero SF has the old Rem 40-X trigger in it, and I have it tuned dead-on and super smooth. My newer 5R .308 has the X-Mark Pro.....I can't say enough bad things about the X-Mark Pro trigger after owning a rifle with both. As soon as funds are there for a Jewell 10 oz trigger, that X-Mark trigger is going in the scrap bin of spare parts to collect dust...

Just my opinion on them.

I recently picked up another STW. This is a Rem 700, 26 in barrel, nothing fancy. Wanted to try RL 25 and the 140 gr TTSX bullets. I've worked up to 84 grs of RL25. Not max in this rifle but getting close. Accuracy is pretty good with this load for a sporter (just over an inch @ 200yds). Velocity should be close to 3400 fps although I haven't cronographed anything yet. I was also curious about trying the 150 gr TTSX bullet. Velocity will likely be at least 100 to 150 fps slower than the 140 but the better BC should make them pretty close @ 400-500 yds. Has anyone else used RL25 with either the 140 or 150 gr TTSX bullets. Would appreciate any feedback Thanks

I'm not sure exactly if it's the xmark or what it is, but it is factory. The area i live in also has no competent gunsmiths.
If you are holding the gun up, looking at the trigger from the bottom, does it have an adjustment screw wtih an allen head built into the trigger, near where the top of your finger touches the trigger? If so, then it is an X-Mark Pro trigger. If not, then you should be fine.

If the gun is 3-5 years old, it probably has the X-mark Pro trigger.

If it is an original Sendero (blued finish), or Sendero SF, then it should have a 40-X trigger in it.

Not sure if the Sendero SF-II's have the X-Mark Pro, but I know Rem swapped to them a few years back, and, IMO, they suck.

Recent Posts