7mm STW Reloading Thread

I recently picked up another STW. This is a Rem 700, 26 in barrel, nothing fancy. Wanted to try RL 25 and the 140 gr TTSX bullets. I've worked up to 84 grs of RL25. Not max in this rifle but getting close. Accuracy is pretty good with this load for a sporter (just over an inch @ 200yds). Velocity should be close to 3400 fps although I haven't cronographed anything yet. I was also curious about trying the 150 gr TTSX bullet. Velocity will likely be at least 100 to 150 fps slower than the 140 but the better BC should make them pretty close @ 400-500 yds. Has anyone else used RL25 with either the 140 or 150 gr TTSX bullets. Would appreciate any feedback Thanks
81.5 gr of RL25 and a 140 TSX = DEAD

I recently picked up another STW. This is a Rem 700, 26 in barrel, nothing fancy. Wanted to try RL 25 and the 140 gr TTSX bullets. I've worked up to 84 grs of RL25. Not max in this rifle but getting close. Accuracy is pretty good with this load for a sporter (just over an inch @ 200yds). Velocity should be close to 3400 fps although I haven't cronographed anything yet. I was also curious about trying the 150 gr TTSX bullet. Velocity will likely be at least 100 to 150 fps slower than the 140 but the better BC should make them pretty close @ 400-500 yds. Has anyone else used RL25 with either the 140 or 150 gr TTSX bullets. Would appreciate any feedback Thanks

Snowman, you are on the right track with the RL 25 and the 140 class bullets. One of mine is running 82.0-RL25-145 LRX. My velocity runs at 3440, dead out fast, and smokin deadly on game. At 84 grains, you are probably a little hot!!!!!
That TTSX bullet is tough to beat, deadly accurate, deadly on game! :)

I have not used the TTSX, but have used Nosler CT, ACCUBOND and BT in 140 and BT in 150. 84.0 for the 140 and 82.0 for the 150.

Mine is a Winchester model 70 classic sporter with a stock 26" tube, the 150 ballistic tip clocks at 3310.

I get the best high velocity and accuracy with the Reloader 25 in my set up, only negative comment is it burn a little dirty.

I have not used the TTSX, but have used Nosler CT, ACCUBOND and BT in 140 and BT in 150. 84.0 for the 140 and 82.0 for the 150.

Mine is a Winchester model 70 classic sporter with a stock 26" tube, the 150 ballistic tip clocks at 3310.

I get the best high velocity and accuracy with the Reloader 25 in my set up, only negative comment is it burn a little dirty.
84 grain rl25 with a 140 grain slug is likely to be a bit hot... I've got some pressure graphs earlier in the thread if you want to look at them. A couple are the sierra 140 with 81 grain rl25.

84 grain rl25 with a 140 grain slug is likely to be a bit hot... I've got some pressure graphs earlier in the thread if you want to look at them. A couple are the sierra 140 with 81 grain rl25.

Been shooting this load for game since 1999. I agree that it is on the top end for pressures, but have brass that have been loaded through 6 times.

Been shooting this load for game since 1999. I agree that it is on the top end for pressures, but have brass that have been loaded through 6 times.
Are you using standard primers like the lyman book does? Underigniting a bit will make you have push the charge up. I ran my rifle a bit harder with rl25 at one time too but the extra 50 fps isn't worth eating up a good bore. Remember the stw will extract easily at 70 kpsi+. I've got graphs proving that too.
At 6 times loaded you likely aren't that much over 70 kpsi unless you are having to glue your primers in though.:rolleyes: You will be hard on your rifle but not dangerous.
Good shooting to you sir.

Snowman, you are on the right track with the RL 25 and the 140 class bullets. One of mine is running 82.0-RL25-145 LRX. My velocity runs at 3440, dead out fast, and smokin deadly on game. At 84 grains, you are probably a little hot!!!!!
That TTSX bullet is tough to beat, deadly accurate, deadly on game! :)

Every rifle is different. In this rifle 84 grs of RL25 is just starting to fill out the radius corner on the primers. If pressure was way up the primers would be flattened and there would likely be some cratering around the firing pin indentation. The Barnes # 4 manual lista 82 grs of RL22 as Max for the 140 gr bullets. Now thats has to be a warm load ! I was back at the range yesterday and shot some 140 TSX's and TTSX's. They shoot to the same spot and group size was very similar even though the TTSX's have to be seated a little deeper due to the more tapered ogive. More groups right around 1inch @ 200 yds. I think this is the "Sweet Spot" in this rifle. Thanks for everyones input.

Every rifle is different. In this rifle 84 grs of RL25 is just starting to fill out the radius corner on the primers. If pressure was way up the primers would be flattened and there would likely be some cratering around the firing pin indentation. The Barnes # 4 manual lista 82 grs of RL22 as Max for the 140 gr bullets. Now thats has to be a warm load ! I was back at the range yesterday and shot some 140 TSX's and TTSX's. They shoot to the same spot and group size was very similar even though the TTSX's have to be seated a little deeper due to the more tapered ogive. More groups right around 1inch @ 200 yds. I think this is the "Sweet Spot" in this rifle. Thanks for everyones input.

Yeah, I'll give you that, in that every rifle is different, particularly chambers. Another variable with my load, is that I'm using A Square brass. I am not for sure on this, but I believe that Norma made that brass for them. It is quite heavier then any of the domestic brass, and my FPS went up when I switched to it.
And yeah, 84-RL22 is SMOKIN hot, in anybodies gun!!!!
RL22' used to be my " go to " powder for the STW. I bought some RL25' for my 300 RUM. So one day, trie it in the STW, and the rest is history! It dosen't seem to be as temp sensitive, which we all know that 22 is. Also, have noticed that ES, SD, are lower. The ES, SD, are secondary concerns for me. If I've got a .375 group all day, I'm not changing anything to drop the numbers. The deer don't care anyway, they can't read! :D Take care my friend!

Has anybody used Nosler E-tips in 140 or 150 grain at all? Are they as good as Barnes bullets when hunting? Any load data you would like to share on any solid copper bullets? Thanks! A pm would be great.

I have tried the Nosler E-tips and the Hornady GMX bullets in a couple different calibres on targets. They both shoot quite well. Each rifle seems to have its own preference. I have used the X bullets in several calibres on game and found them to be excellent. I have shot the X bullet, the E-tip and the GMX into wet paper and catalogs and have the following comments. The TSX and the TTSX bullets are both pure copper and mushroom pretty much like the Barnes advertisement pictures. The E-tip and the GMX are both made of gliding metal which is harder than pure copper. When shot into wet paper and catalogs they did NOT mushroom as much as the X bullets. I think the E-tip and GMX would both work when remaining velocities are quite high (magnum cartridges). They may not mushroom as well at lower velocities from std cartridges. Hope this helps.

Recent Posts