New 7mm stw shooter, need reloading data

*LAUGHING*
Um, no! There's no powder here at all, ever. Used to buy mine in Elko, or Salt Lake until everyone lost their minds! I got lucky a few weeks ago, and caught 8lb jugs of H1000 and RL33 at Third Generation Shooting Supply, and had it shipped in. Also, a few weeks ago I got lucky, and found a brick of Fed 215GM primers!!!!
Primers aren't as much of an issue here. The big dogs are usually out, but I've got bricks of them in the basement and the one joint is cash only, which is pretty much a left hook (like boxing) to the hoarders. They can't finance so they don't play. That store doesn't have a good selection to start with but is better than the others lately.

*LAUGHING*
Um, no! There's no powder here at all, ever. Used to buy mine in Elko, or Salt Lake until everyone lost their minds! I got lucky a few weeks ago, and caught 8lb jugs of H1000 and RL33 at Third Generation Shooting Supply, and had it shipped in. Also, a few weeks ago I got lucky, and found a brick of Fed 215GM primers!!!!

Black Sheep,

thought i would ask as it would have been a good reason to take the wife away from the house and kids for a Saturday drive. one of the local small shops in Ogden has Primers in $50 per 1000.. he gets a little powder in but it don't last long..

if i remember right ( i have readed through the hole forum over the last 3 weeks) you used the 168 barnes on an Elk. what was the yardage and how did it perform for you. i am a barnes fan for a # of years now. i just wish it had a little better BC

The powder supply up here has been flaky lately too. It comes and goes, but just mostly goes. If you are running 160gr. or heavier bullets in the stw one of the offerings for the 50bmg will often be the ticket. They even seem to be a bit easier to find at times lately.
I'd tell you to go to 86- 88 gr 5010 with your 162 and forget the rest but I can't find a supply of that at present. H50bmg is supposed to replace 5010. I haven't worked with h50bmg but have gone to wc872 and rl33-rl50 for the slow stuff.
I'm a bit surprised that you had pressure issues at 84-85 gr rl50 with the 162 as I was able to top at 86 gr with the 171 barnes match with no pressure issues.

Lefty,
the rl50 was with the 168 LRX
i was a little supriced also. as i loaded 2 shots from 80 to 87 grains to see how things would work as there is a little bit of it around here. there is alot of the H50bmg around don;t know if i should grab a pound to try that.

i had looked at what you had tried with the 171 at 86 grains and you said i might be able to go as high as 88 grains. was really shocked when 83 was top safe load i have not chrono it might be a good load the 2 shot group was touching..

thanks for the help Dean

Black Sheep,

thought i would ask as it would have been a good reason to take the wife away from the house and kids for a Saturday drive. one of the local small shops in Ogden has Primers in $50 per 1000.. he gets a little powder in but it don't last long..

if i remember right ( i have readed through the hole forum over the last 3 weeks) you used the 168 barnes on an Elk. what was the yardage and how did it perform for you. i am a barnes fan for a # of years now. i just wish it had a little better BC
I understand the need to excuse a trip to Wendover! :D
Yup, I used the 168 LRX on my bull and cow (and a coyote gun)) Bull was at about 300 yards (ranged at 390 but had to parallel him through the trees to get a clean shot, and got a bit closer) I was dialed for 400, so maybe 1 moa high, and shot him taking a step on a sidehill, so I hit high, just clipping the bottom of the spine where it dips lowest. Bullet augered a 50 cent sized hole through bone, and exited. Bang, flop, roll down hill! On the cow, I wanted to double lung her so I didn't destroy any meat. Perfect through and through, she leaked about 20 gallons of blood on the snow, and went only 40 yards or so. Her insides were liquified! I'm tickled with its performance. .550 bc matched my drops out past 600 yards, and I can get 1/2 moa groups with no wind :rolleyes:.

I understand the need to excuse a trip to Wendover! :D
Yup, I used the 168 LRX on my bull and cow (and a coyote gun)) Bull was at about 300 yards (ranged at 390 but had to parallel him through the trees to get a clean shot, and got a bit closer) I was dialed for 400, so maybe 1 moa high, and shot him taking a step on a sidehill, so I hit high, just clipping the bottom of the spine where it dips lowest. Bullet augered a 50 cent sized hole through bone, and exited. Bang, flop, roll down hill! On the cow, I wanted to double lung her so I didn't destroy any meat. Perfect through and through, she leaked about 20 gallons of blood on the snow, and went only 40 yards or so. Her insides were liquified! I'm tickled with its performance. .550 bc matched my drops out past 600 yards, and I can get 1/2 moa groups with no wind :rolleyes:.

**** Dude, I STILL get goosebumps when you tell that story! But you are right, on how the bullet " augers " it's way through! That is exactly what my whitetail looked liked, shot though the long way! You could actually see the swirls along the top og the rib cage. Dude, I'm hooked on them bullets. LRX = DRT !!!! Peace Out :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.