New 7mm stw shooter, need reloading data

Lee56

Hello,
I am a new 7mm stw shooter and want to start hand loading. Cant find anything on the selves.... Need advice on some good loads. I have a stock Remington Sendero with a twist of 1-10 (or really close to it)
I will be shooting pigs at around 500 - 700 yards in south Texas.
Thanks

Just look through the 3518 replies in this thread :D
http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...who-shoot-7mm-shooting-times-westerner-88228/
Seriously though, factory Sendero should be 9.25 twist. For Hogs, I would suggest at least a 140 grain pill, but personally I would go 160 or higher. I have never killed a hog, so I can't specifically recommend a bullet. I'm a barnes guy, and I love the 168 LRX in mine on top of a lot of Retumbo. I don't think you could go wrong with a 160 accubond, or the 168 and 180 bergers. Stick with slower burning powders--Retumbo, H1000, 7828, RL25, RL33, etc. Barnes didn't have any load data for the LRX's when I started, so I just used a 160gr load off of Hodgdon's website, and tweaked it from there

Hogs are tough as nails, and have very thick skin. If you have never killed one before, you will witness this the first time you shoot one and skin and gut it. They also stink to high hell when you cut them open. However, if you cut them up fresh enough, they can make for some GOOD eatin.

I would use the heaviest pill available for that kind of distance, as you want the most THUMP when it hits. I would go with a 180 Berger VLD, or something heavy such as that. Maybe even the 190 Matrix.

This is just simply my opinion, and I haven't killed a hog with my STW yet, so I'm going off of knowledge from using my 7Mag. I have killed them with 160gr Accubonds, but I was alot closer than 700 yards (around 150). I wish I could help more.

However, whatever brand of bullets you decide to shoot, I like to purchase each manufacturer's reloading manual, that way I have all my bases covered on questions to help others with other calibers, and as a good guide to start loading for their particular brand, weight, and type of bullets.

Let us know what you decide to shoot, then maybe we can help you a little more. I have Berger, Nosler, and Hornady manuals, so if you decide to shoot any of those, let me know, and I will help as best I can.

Just look through the 3518 replies in this thread :D
http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...who-shoot-7mm-shooting-times-westerner-88228/
Seriously though, factory Sendero should be 9.25 twist. For Hogs, I would suggest at least a 140 grain pill, but personally I would go 160 or higher. I have never killed a hog, so I can't specifically recommend a bullet. I'm a barnes guy, and I love the 168 LRX in mine on top of a lot of Retumbo. I don't think you could go wrong with a 160 accubond, or the 168 and 180 bergers. Stick with slower burning powders--Retumbo, H1000, 7828, RL25, RL33, etc. Barnes didn't have any load data for the LRX's when I started, so I just used a 160gr load off of Hodgdon's website, and tweaked it from there

+1, " what he said".:D also, Black Sheep is the MAN, when it comes to using the 168 LRX and sending it on a mission. As for the hogs, I also believe that if you were to put a 145 LRX on the shoulder of a Hog Beast, you will be making bacon pretty quick. I don't think he will carry it home with him, but you will be caring HIM home!! The STW is a bad Hombre, so put a worthy bullet in it, and you won't be sorry!
For powders, H1000, Retumbo, and my new favorite RL25 should be your first pick, along with 215 GM primers. Load to box length, and work up gradually, and look for pressure signs, ask questions, and take care of your brass!

I been killing hogs for several years with my STW. 82 Grn H-1000 and 140 gr Accu-Bond or 140 Grn Berger VLD Hunting bullet. These loads are devastating to hogs, deer, axis, coyotes rabbits, raccoons...

The only other load and bullet I used on game was IMR 8=7828 and 175 SMK but it was at the upper range and very temperature sensitive.

Thanks for the info. Seems like most people are using H1000. I have a box of Barnes 168 LXR any powder or load suggestions for these bullets?
Thanks Again for all the info.

Someone else can probably help better than I can, but if you can wait till I get home, those might be in my Hornady manual, and I can possibly look it up for you.

My load is 82.5grains of Retumbo lit by a Rem 9 1/2M primer. COAL is 3.650 so it will fit into the magazine. The 168 LRX is a LOOOOOONG bullet. At this seating depth, it is way into the case. Keep in mind, this is a hot load in my rifle, so start 4-5 grains lower, and work your way up carefully. H1000 has a very similar burn rate, so I would imagine it would be about the same charge.
At 83.5 grains I was getting slight difficulty extracting, and a very slight ejector mark. Tread lightly approaching the higher end.
Officially, Ty at Barnes said to use the data for the 175TSX for the load data until they got the LRX data published. That was about a year ago, and Barnes still hasn't published it for the STW. (they have for the 7Rem mag.)

I've also had good results with Alliant Reloder 22, if you come across any of that, as well.

I've had the best results with H1000, so far. I can't seem to find any Alliant Reloder 25 or 33 to try...But I hear excellent things.

Thanks for the info. I will start looking for some Retumbo.

Lee, if you are intending on the 168 LRX, I would seriously run with the Retmbo, or maybe H1000. the 168 LRX gas a HUGE bearing surface. That will keep down the spikes!
This bullet has the MASS of a 190-200 grain bullet. But I am told by a very good source, that Bull Elk do not like it at all!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.