7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Well, after a couple of weeks, and some time behind a spray gun, here is what I ended up with after the original orange stock (post 508 page 73) I have a buddy with a body shop, so he gave me the direction to get started. I scuffed the clearcoat, used a little bondo to fill in imperfections. Painted it a matte black, then used the Krylon silver webbing spray. When I was doing the webbing spray, a slight gust of wind put a really heavy pattern down on one end, so I had to go with a heavier pattern. Oh well, I think it looks good! Finished it off with matte finish Krylon clearcoat. Fitted a limbsaver grind to fit pad on it, now to get the loads developed, so I can go kill my Nevada Area 11 bull this year!!!! (Only took 14-15 years to draw the tag!):D:D:D

Attachments

• DSC_0189.jpg
    DSC_0189.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0190.jpg
    DSC_0190.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 23
Well, after a couple of weeks, and some time behind a spray gun, here is what I ended up with after the original orange stock (post 508 page 73) I have a buddy with a body shop, so he gave me the direction to get started. I scuffed the clearcoat, used a little bondo to fill in imperfections. Painted it a matte black, then used the Krylon silver webbing spray. When I was doing the webbing spray, a slight gust of wind put a really heavy pattern down on one end, so I had to go with a heavier pattern. Oh well, I think it looks good! Finished it off with matte finish Krylon clearcoat. Fitted a limbsaver grind to fit pad on it, now to get the loads developed, so I can go kill my Nevada Area 11 bull this year!!!! (Only took 14-15 years to draw the tag!):D:D:D
Black Sheep, Man you did an awesome job....that thing looks great and i think the heavy web pattern looks cool as hell.......Congrats on the tag I know that will be the hunt of a lifetime and you have the rite rig for the job...........

Its got a Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50 mounted with Warne rings on an EGW pic rail. I'm gonna be loading it with 168 grain Barnes LRX's (if it will stabilize that bullet) Gonna start with 76 grains of Retumbo, and work up from there. Barnes tech support said that a 9.25 twist in a sendero won't stabilize it. They require a 1-9 twist above 5000ft, and 1-8 below 5000. I already have the bullets, so I will just have to hit the range and see! I also bought a box of the 145 LRX just in case. If the STW will stabilize the 168, then I will load the 145's in my 7mm RM. Thanks for the feedback on the paintjob. You know how it is when you have a plan in your mind, and it doesn't work out exactly! But hey, I think its great! With the clearcoat, there is just enough texture that I don't think it will be slippery in the rain/snow.

Also check out post 528 on page 76, and 536 on 77 for some more of that lovely orange!

Did they give you any info on the 145's? I sent them an email and they said just use the 150 gr guideline. I have a 1:9 twist and have some 145's not loaded yet. I will be trying RL 22.

I'm a Syracuse Orangemen basketball fan!

But the new paint job is awesome...

Please update on the LRX and other bullets if you try them.

Barnes told me the same thing for the 168's, start with the info on the 175's. I can understand not having load data for the stw, but heck they don't even have the load info for the 7mm RM yet! And their data still shows for the MRX which they quit making!

Black sheep, nice paint job, and I like the concept. It's funny how a plan can change due to the unknown, but still turn out very well, and even sometimes better. That paint job has it in spades. Overall, the rifle looks great, and should be a good shooter. Hang in here with this website, and I'm sure that you will find your load, and if problems arise, someone here will be glad to help you out. Take care, and enjoy that new toy. Nice Job!!!

Awesome looking rifle now and fantastic looking paint job! I really like the look of the heavier webbing pattern! :D

Black Sheep,

Good Job on the Stock, I knew you could make it work. I think it looks awesome!.

I put in on a Bull hunt here in Idaho too. I'm hopeing that I get the opportunity to pull the trigger on one with my 7STW as well.

Good luck,

Dan

I'm giving up on everything but the 180 Bergers till I rebarrel this coming winter. It seems odd to me that the Bergers shoot like this without trying yet Noslers and Barnes can't hold a 5" group with loads proven by others.

Same 'ol load, 180 Bergers, 78 Retumbo, on the lands and a 4-5 thou shoulder bump. These are off bags and not the sled I was using prior. Two shot groups. Upper left were last two. I did lighten the barrel/forearm pressure a smidgen.

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 27
I'm giving up on everything but the 180 Bergers till I rebarrel this coming winter. It seems odd to me that the Bergers shoot like this without trying yet Noslers and Barnes can't hold a 5" group with loads proven by others.

Same 'ol load, 180 Bergers, 78 Retumbo, on the lands and a 4-5 thou shoulder bump. These are off bags and not the sled I was using prior. Two shot groups. Upper left were last two. I did lighten the barrel/forearm pressure a smidgen.

Hey Brother bob! Whatever you are doing right now, keep doing JUST that, and call it a day. That is more than adequate for hunting your quarry. I would be willing to bet that the very first two shots are right on the money, and very close to each other. Inside of a inch or so. The over all aggregate of that group looks fine to me. Remember, you do not have a target weight, or a custom barrel. I know that if you continue to seek gilt edge, ( spelled target), accuracy, you are going to begin to wear the throat, and then you will need a barrel. I have done the same thing, and then you realize that MOA is plenty good enough. At the end of the day, those first two shots, from a stone cold barrel, whether it be clean or slightly fouled are the only ones that matter. You have gone through quite a metamorphosis since you have had this gun, and it has responded for the most part.
P/S, I now also use 5 spot archery targets when I shoot longer ranges. I can see them, and they are cheap. Good idea.