7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I'm glad the 5 spots are working. It's kinda tough for a newbie like me to contribute much. The Vegas 3 spots might actually be better as they are red/gold. The rings are essentially the same as the 5 spot, (metric).
Diameters are real close to 3 1/8" gold and 6 1/4" for the red. Should work great for a 300/600 yard target.

Amazon.com: Martin Archery Vegas 3-Spot: Sports & Outdoors

Attachments

• 51pg3RC1CEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51pg3RC1CEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 24
I'm glad the 5 spots are working. It's kinda tough for a newbie like me to contribute much. The Vegas 3 spots might actually be better as they are red/gold. The rings are essentially the same as the 5 spot, (metric).
Diameters are real close to 3 1/8" gold and 6 1/4" for the red. Should work great for a 300/600 yard target.

Amazon.com: Martin Archery Vegas 3-Spot: Sports & Outdoors

Well Bob, those blue five spot targets worked just fine for me. I went out this afternoon with my 7STW Sharpshooter, to verify a load that I shot last weekend. I set it up at 200 yards and could see it very well. The load shot just as good as it did last weekend. Just over .55 at 200. I'll take that any day.
I will pick up some of the red and yellow targets for when I do some longer range practicing. That is a good idea. I have a problem with getting the right target to shoot at. If the bull is too big, or too small, it throws me off. These things are perfect. Thanks again.

I had the opportunity to get out and shoot a bit today. I loaded the 180g Berger VLD with 79g of Retumbo. I decided that this was the load I was going to go with this year. I'm not going to have the opportunity to do much load work and this was acceptable for now.

I was supprised some what with the velocitys that I saw. I was getting an average of 2989 FPS. I thought this was a little low, but looking back i realized that I'm seating them way out and .05" off the lands so I can eject a loaded round with out pulling the bolt. This gives me more case capacity and therfore less pressure. (Am I right?) I'm going to work up more velocity, but I'll leave that to next year. Maybe the groups will tighten up as well.

Accuracy was the same as last I shot this load at just under an inch.

I took my son along to shoot as well, I gotta get him ready for deer and possibly elk hunting this fall.
IMG_20120604_101815.jpg

I really like shooting the 7STW prone, but the Vias Brake kicks up a bit of dust. I'll have to live with it for now.

IMG_20120604_101739.jpg.

It was a little windy, but the temps were a bout 75 degrees. We got cooked, but had alot of fun.

Dan

I had the opportunity to get out and shoot a bit today. I loaded the 180g Berger VLD with 79g of Retumbo. I decided that this was the load I was going to go with this year. I'm not going to have the opportunity to do much load work and this was acceptable for now.

I was supprised some what with the velocitys that I saw. I was getting an average of 2989 FPS. I thought this was a little low, but looking back i realized that I'm seating them way out and .05" off the lands so I can eject a loaded round with out pulling the bolt. This gives me more case capacity and therfore less pressure. (Am I right?) I'm going to work up more velocity, but I'll leave that to next year. Maybe the groups will tighten up as well.

I took my son along to shoot as well, I gotta get him ready for deer and possibly elk hunting this fall.
View attachment 9845

I really like shooting the 7STW prone, but the Vias Brake kicks up a bit of dust. I'll have to live with it for now.

View attachment 9846.

It was a little windy, but the temps were a bout 75 degrees. We got cooked, but had alot of fun.

Dan

Brother Dano, I have a few things to say, and they are all good. First, and foremost, I am SOOOOOO glad to see that you took your #1 shooting partner, and our next generation of shooters!!! We need to keep making them, because most kids shoot from a computer. Our industry, and heritage is dying to a computer. As far as your speed, I don't think that you are far off of your mark. Remember, with a high BC, you don't need THAT much speed. I wouldn't want to get hit with it! As far as the pressure goes, as the bullet is seated further out of the case, powder room increases, but, you are closer to the riflings. So it is sort of a slippery slope we walk at times. Effectively, if you were to fill that void with powder, the pressure would spike pre-maturely, due to bullet engagement, without a way to equally release the pressure. Result? flat primers, shiny spots, you get the drift. I think you are at a happy spot. Good accuracy, predictable, and SHOOTABLE!!!!! That last one is a biggy!
And I'll bet the dust really does kick up when you shoot prone. Mine kicks up dust without a brake, and will catch the grass on fire if I ain't careful. I have been having very good luck with RL25 in this Winchester. I have 3 loads and three bullet weights that it shoot very well, and it SEEMS to NOT be as temp sensitive as 22 so far.
Good luck to you and your son, and thats a great way to build memories that last!

Anyone using the 182 berger or the 171 barnes in their 7stw?? I see you all talking about the 180 berger, but not the other two. I'm running low on 140's and thinking about pulling the trigger on some bigger pills.

View attachment 9845

View attachment 9846.

Dan
Dano,those are some great pics and Im so glad to see your boy enjoying himself.......Thats a great thing......as far as your speeds, they are about rite with that bullet.as for your starting pressure I have a way to control that if your interested, but like I said if she's MOA she's good and man does that thing look sweet, See ya Bro

I have been having very good luck with RL25 in this Winchester. I have 3 loads and three bullet weights that it shoot very well, and it SEEMS to NOT be as temp sensitive as 22 so far.

Hey Bob,
I've got a pound of the RL25 I have not tried yet in my 7mm STWs. Would you mind posting the 3 loads and three bullet weights that you are having good shooting results with?
Thanks,
Tim

Hey Bob,
I've got a pound of the RL25 I have not tried yet in my 7mm STWs. Would you mind posting the 3 loads and three bullet weights that you are having good shooting results with?
Thanks,
Tim

Yup, that's easy, and not a problem

81.5-RL25-140tsx@ 3.625. ( deadly accurate)

80.0-RL25-150 BT @ 3.610-215 fed

78.5-RL-25-162 A Max @3.605.

So far, I have had good luck with this stuff. All loads were with 215 fed, and win brass, neck sized. I found a neat way to make a neck size die out of a 7 mag F/L die. It works great. I have about five firings on some of this brass, and it doesn't seem to grow much, and pockets are still tight.
My pick of the litter is the first load with the 140 TSX. I am going to load some off those up, and smoke a few whitetail in July on a crop damage hunt in Maryland. I have not killed one with a TSX yet, but I'm gonna try!!!! Give those loads a try, and let me know .

So far, I have had good luck with this stuff. All loads were with 215 fed, and win brass, neck sized. I found a neat way to make a neck size die out of a 7 mag F/L die. It works great. I have about five firings on some of this brass, and it doesn't seem to grow much, and pockets are still tight.
My pick of the litter is the first load with the 140 TSX. I am going to load some off those up, and smoke a few whitetail in July on a crop damage hunt in Maryland. I have not killed one with a TSX yet, but I'm gonna try!!!! Give those loads a try, and let me know .

Bob,

Thanks a bunch! :D

Brother Dano, I have a few things to say, and they are all good. First, and foremost, I am SOOOOOO glad to see that you took your #1 shooting partner, and our next generation of shooters!!! We need to keep making them, because most kids shoot from a computer. Our industry, and heritage is dying to a computer. As far as your speed, I don't think that you are far off of your mark. Remember, with a high BC, you don't need THAT much speed. I wouldn't want to get hit with it! As far as the pressure goes, as the bullet is seated further out of the case, powder room increases, but, you are closer to the riflings. So it is sort of a slippery slope we walk at times. Effectively, if you were to fill that void with powder, the pressure would spike pre-maturely, due to bullet engagement, without a way to equally release the pressure. Result? flat primers, shiny spots, you get the drift. I think you are at a happy spot. Good accuracy, predictable, and SHOOTABLE!!!!! That last one is a biggy!
And I'll bet the dust really does kick up when you shoot prone. Mine kicks up dust without a brake, and will catch the grass on fire if I ain't careful. I have been having very good luck with RL25 in this Winchester. I have 3 loads and three bullet weights that it shoot very well, and it SEEMS to NOT be as temp sensitive as 22 so far.
Good luck to you and your son, and thats a great way to build memories that last!

Thanks for your comments, I actually have 3 more sons to get shooting. One of them may not be able to due to a mental handicap and reasoning capacity that he has. But we are working with him and if he becomes able and wants to He'll follow as well, it may take him a little longer then the other boys. my youngest is a Girl and I'm hopeing that she'll want to go too.

Don't think it'll start a fire, there aren't any flames with this one. My friend was shooting it and I didn't see any flames or rather flash. Not like my .30-06 AI

Maybe I'll just leave well enough alone with this load and now start on a secondary load that'll fit in the magazine and be in the 160-165g bullet class. Thinking that it will be a good mid range load.

Thanks for pointing out the pre-mature pressure spike, Hadn't thought of that. Looking at it from that angle makes sense too. (This is why I ask others opinion before jumping.... :D ) Thanks for your help! The predictability is definately a big thing, I think I'm where I need to be with this load.

Dan

Set an accubond on 81-82 gr of rl25, and kick it to 3.600, and you have what I'm using. In ww brass it's 82gr, in rem it's 81gr or rl25.

Dano,those are some great pics and Im so glad to see your boy enjoying himself.......Thats a great thing......as far as your speeds, they are about rite with that bullet.as for your starting pressure I have a way to control that if your interested, but like I said if she's MOA she's good and man does that thing look sweet, See ya Bro

thanks for your comments! Love spending time with my kids! This boy is my eldest so I'm just getting into taking them with me. Really enjoying it!

Not sure what you mean by starting pressure.... Im interested but explain what you're getting at. Im actually not showing any pressure at all. That's what had me thinking that I had room to work up. Bob mentioned about the premature pressure spiking and that too got me thinking. I could go more, but as he said, it's a slippery slope we walk. I'm probablly not going to go up any higher, but I'm interested in learning more as always.

Dan

Thanks for your comments, I actually have 3 more sons to get shooting. One of them may not be able to due to a mental handicap and reasoning capacity that he has. But we are working with him and if he becomes able and wants to He'll follow as well, it may take him a little longer then the other boys. my youngest is a Girl and I'm hopeing that she'll want to go too.

Don't think it'll start a fire, there aren't any flames with this one. My friend was shooting it and I didn't see any flames or rather flash. Not like my .30-06 AI

Maybe I'll just leave well enough alone with this load and now start on a secondary load that'll fit in the magazine and be in the 160-165g bullet class. Thinking that it will be a good mid range load.

Thanks for pointing out the pre-mature pressure spike, Hadn't thought of that. Looking at it from that angle makes sense too. (This is why I ask others opinion before jumping.... :D ) Thanks for your help! The predictability is definately a big thing, I think I'm where I need to be with this load.

Dan

All the best to you and yours, and my pleasure!!!!

What are the 150 BT ? ttsx?

lightbulb Also bring a ground cover or sheet of wood for underneath the muzzle brakes to cut down the dust