7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Here are the pics of 7STW's Winchester Sharpshooter with the Leupold 6.5x20x40 and the resulting targets........Awesome shooting Bro

Attachments

• 71.jpg
    71.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 7-2.jpg
    7-2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 26
Here are the pics of 7STW's Winchester Sharpshooter with the Leupold 6.5x20x40 and the resulting targets........Awesome shooting Bro

Awesome looking set-up on and nice grouping Bob! :D

Well I was able to get to the range last Friday to shoot my Sendero 7mm STWs that I just got back from the gunsmith. I had loaded up some 150 grain Scirocco IIs with the below data:

IMR 7828 - 78 grain & 79 grain, Federal 215 - COL 3.675
H-1000 - 78 grain & 79 grain, Federal 215 - COL 3.675

It was pretty hot at the range and well above 80 degress. I think because of the high heat the IMR 7828 was spiking at 4000 fps and the grouping was pretty bad with the Scirocco IIs. The H-1000 was better with the Scirocco IIs but not as accurate as the other time at the range with the 140 grain Accubonds. I think I'll stick with the 140 grain Accubonds and get some 160 Accubonds when they are back in stock.

I also shot some 162 grain Amaxs with the 76 grains of H1000 and had a pretty good grouping. But the high temps I think still were affecting the performance because the grouping was not as tight as the last time at the range when the temps were in the 50s.

I really like the Jewel triggers I had installed on the Senderos.

Well I was able to get to the range last Friday to shoot my Sendero 7mm STWs that I just got back from the gunsmith. I had loaded up some 150 grain Scirocco IIs with the below data:

It was pretty hot at the range and well above 80 degress. I think because of the high heat the IMR 7828 was spiking at 4000 fps and the grouping was pretty bad with the Scirocco IIs. The H-1000 was better with the Scirocco IIs but not as accurate as the other time at the range with the 140 grain Accubonds. I think I'll stick with the 140 grain Accubonds and get some 160 Accubonds when they are back in stock.

I also shot some 162 grain Amaxs with the 76 grains of H1000 and had a pretty good grouping. But the high temps I think still were affecting the performance because the grouping was not as tight as the last time at the range when the temps were in the 50s.

Hawker,Im sure your right about the 7828 its as bad as RL22 in the heat but the H-1000 holds true in the heat or cold and as for the triggers.....Im sure you love em

Just wanted to Throw out there that is a 200 yard group. It is written on that target, but is bearly visible, near the bottom, on the left side. The conditions were near perfect, yesterday, I would have prefered a little cooler, but 60's are ok, plus I was in the shade. I am liking that load!!! Thanks to all that commented. I am always willing to share info. Thanks again for the support!!!!

Just wanted to Throw out there that is a 200 yard group. It is written on that target, but is bearly visible, near the bottom, on the left side. The conditions were near perfect, yesterday, I would have prefered a little cooler, but 60's are ok, plus I was in the shade. I am liking that load!!! Thanks to all that commented. I am always willing to share info. Thanks again for the support!!!!
Once again ........Thats some Awesome shooting Brother.......I thought i would try the 79 grain load so I did .........Ejector Spots and bolt face prints........Back to the drawing board

Thanks for the complement. And yes, the temps do affect overall consistentcy, and accuracy. I have gone shooting in the morning while it is cool, and literally while I have been there, and the temps rising, groups go all over the place. And if you are using non temp stable powder, it is even worse.
On another note, I may be considering a Jewel replacement for one of my Remys, which model did you go with, or are there no options. Thanks again, and congrats on all the goodies. You conditions will come, and when they do, you will know it. Good shooting pal.

Thanks for the complement. And yes, the temps do affect overall consistentcy, and accuracy. I have gone shooting in the morning while it is cool, and literally while I have been there, and the temps rising, groups go all over the place. And if you are using non temp stable powder, it is even worse.
On another note, I may be considering a Jewel replacement for one of my Remys, which model did you go with, or are there no options. Thanks again, and congrats on all the goodies. You conditions will come, and when they do, you will know it. Good shooting pal.

I got the Hunter Varmint Rifle w/Top Right Safety and Bolt Release Model - "HVRTSBR-A". This is Jewell's most popular trigger and is a direct replacement for the 700 Remington factory trigger. Pull weight of 1.5 oz to 3.5 lbs.
The Factory set at 1 lb. That's what my trigger's on all three of my rifles are set at.

I ordered my triggers directly from Jewell Trigger for $195 plus shipping.

Jewell Trigger, Inc.
3620 N State Highway 123
San Marcos, TX 78666-9786
512-353-2999

I have always talked to Aaron, nice person. They are usually backed up and it will be 3-4 weeks but maybe sooner if they can make it.

Also, the Company below I think is a sponsor of this website and he may have them in stock:

Jewell Triggers at GreatScottShooters.com

Great Scott's website is a wealth of information about Jewell Triggers too.

Last edited:
I being to think that Hodgdon H1000 will be my to go to powder for my 7mm STW.

Has anyone used Hodgdon Retumbo for 140 or 160 Accubonds?

If you are having good luck with the H1000, I would stick to it. I too think that it is a excellent powder. I tried the Retumbo, and I was getting inconsistent and wide velocity spread. You may have better luck, that's just my take. I too like , H1000, but have been on a roll with my old faithful RL22, and 7828. I do have a few repeatable loads with the H1000. I truly think that what you are dealing with, is that the ambient temps are rising, and really is not the best time to get a optimal load, unless these are you hunting conditions, which we know are not! When I try to do any load development this time of year, it is hit or miss. When you get a cool day, that is when the guns shoot there best, and most of all, CONSISTENT. Chances are, that if you do get a load that shoot now, it may not shoot that well, when the frost is on the
pumpkin. And when the frost is on the pumpkin, it time for, well you know the rest!! Take care.