338 RUM, 33 Nosler, 338 Edge, 338 Win, 338 Allen Express, or 338 Norma with 300 gr. Sierras???

Please answer, with regards to brass availability, and the highest accuracy potential; WHICH 338?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is good to know. I was thinking of adding one to the collection, but heard the recoil was pretty stout. I am not recoil shy.....just bad shoulder for now.
Keep in mind that I was firing a MAX load from the Barnes manual; the .416 Rigby loaded to the standard 2400 fps with a 400 gr. bullet is completely controllable and to me it's comfortable, especially when shooting offhand.

The thing with the .416 Rigby is that it's more like a good SHOVE, than a punching pain. I've fired .300 Wins that HURT WORSE. ;) I love the .416 Rigby enough that I had to get a Ruger RSM to replace the CZ. :D
Load a 400 with 103 gr of 4350 for 2700 and get back to me on that;)

I'm calling this my Edge Shot !
20200112_164459.jpg

1. 14.6 pds
2.18.6 pds
3. 10.6 pds
Rum Man

Let me get back on my two feet, and I will.:D:D:D
David Emerson, you think that I was joking but look at what just a little RUST in the barrel and nipple did to my JP MURRAY artillery carbine.........yeah, it kinda sucked........I'm very blessed that it didn't fire at the RANGE........I stepped it the back yard to discharge the .69 caliber Minie Ball into the ground and KABOOM. :rolleyes:
19740.jpeg

In all honesty, it didn't hurt much either, our Heavenly Father definitely had me under his wings of protection, because if it had of blew at the range two weeks earlier, it would have killed me AND my dad who was sitting to the left of my bench. :)

I've played it over and over in my head, and both my dad and I KNOW what an absolute FLUKE this was. I even have safety training once a year with the National Civil War Artillery Association, and was raised firing firearms. It was just one crazy accident that shouldn't have ever happened. "Just A LITTLE rust is all that it took." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
wow,Like alot of things .Guess it could have been worse,looks like it would have took your head off.
Exactly! If I had fired that at the range, with my cheek against the stock, it certainly would have.......plus a piece of barrel most likely would have injured or killed my Dad as well. I'm just truly THANKFUL that it wasn't any worse. :)