338 RUM, 33 Nosler, 338 Edge, 338 Win, 338 Allen Express, or 338 Norma with 300 gr. Sierras???

Please answer, with regards to brass availability, and the highest accuracy potential; WHICH 338?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think David has broken into the Top 5 yet at the Ko2M...not that he isn't capable, I know a couple times he had horrible wind to deal with.
I was talking to Gary Scneider some time ago and he told me David was using an 8 twist 375. Maybe I misunderstood him.

Really there is no wrong or right answer here unless you narrow down your scope a little (hunting weight, magazine fed, distance, velocity, etc) because they are all good options and all have their limitations. Here is why:
-338 Edge is amazing but with 300 gr bullets if you have to magazine feed you are hurting your top velocity and might not get the best accuracy depending on chamber deminesions
-338 RUM really wasn't designed for 300 gr bullets so it ends up being a lot like the Edge but you can buy factory ammo
-33 Nosler is a good option for factory options and using a hunting rig. I don't see a lot of factory ammo support so you are stuck with Nosler
-338 WM best factory support and track record but hurting for case capacity
-338 AM gives you the best performance but no factory support and limited availability
-338 NM was designed to work with 300gr bullets and has factory ammo/brass options even if limited. Also fits in magazine fed options.

If you can accept all the compromises, the 338 NM is your best option. If you don't mind handloading and having limited brass options the 338 AM gives you the best performance. Everything else lays somewhere in between.

The 338 NM has an excellent reputation for accuracy and brass availability is good but not excellent. The 338 AM is going to be a custom rifle so accuracy should be top notch, brass not easy to find.

You left out the 338 LM but with 300 gr bullets the 338 NM performs better.

338 Excalibur Stillar Predator Lillja No 5 28'' Mcmillan game hunter carbon,Night force NXS Terminator T2 300 Bergers at 3050 fps mild , 9.5lb
IMG_3521.JPG
IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_9369 (2).JPG

To be honest, I can't measure it at the moment because I am going between a wheelchair and a walker (I had orthopedic surgery on my right leg); what I will say is that it is PLENTY LONG, as the .416 Rigby is much longer that a .338 Allen Express loaded with the 300s. ;)
Now I have buyers remorse that I didn't buy a used 550 I had a chance too

Last edited:
338 Allen Express is an improved 338 Lapua; you can fire factory 338 Lapua ammo in a pinch.

Great write-up, nevertheless. ;)

I must have confused it with another wildcat. Thanks for the education

Yes, I see I confused the Allen Magnum and the Allen Express. Too many to keep straight!

Very nice looking rifle, is that a standard 700 action with the bolt opened up?
I hear a lot about needing a .750 bolt and larger tenon size for Lapua sized cases.
I'm having a 338 NM put together in the next few weeks on a Mesa Precision Crux Ti action.
It's a 1.0625x18 pitch and uses a .700 bolt, they assured me it's all you need
Yes, it is. I did a lot of research prior to building it, and funds are very tight at the moment. You should be fine on a standard rem action if you are careful, the issue is the tougher brass like Peterson and Lapua brass won't show your standard pressure signs when you are at the 63000 psi max for the cartridge, Peterson actually tested their 300 nm brass at 75,000 psi for multiple fireings without any failure, it says right in their site. Using a Stiller TAC 338 action and a 28" carbon six barrel, I got the 300's up to 2900 fps in Peterson brass, and the brass looked the same as loads shot at 2700 fps except for the primers being slightly more flattened out, but still not looking entirely excessive, but I know pressures were too high. So the tough brass will not show signs till much higher pressure is reached, which consistently running at high pressure, like 75,000+ psi where pressure signs may be observed, could cause lug set back and possibly other issues in the standard rem 700 type actions. You need to look at velocity using published load data or quick load or something similar, and not exceed velocities listed. With my 24", 2740 fps or so is right at max with VV N-570 and a 300 berger according to quick load, and I will also be HBN coating which usually gains 20-40 fps at the same pressure in my experience. So, I will aim for a load around 2675-2700 fps so I have some wiggle room and keep pressures safe for my action.

Optimally a larger custom action would be better, and eventually when I rebarrel I may upgrade the action as well, but this will work for now.

Last edited: