26 Nosler Wildcats - 28 Nosler (284)

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Blaser made a nice 6.5mm case and put a 7mm bullet in it.

Nosler made a nice 7mm case and put a 6.5mm bullet in it.

Remington made a nice 338 case and put a 30 cal bullet in it. Then they made a nice 30 cal case and put a 338 bullet in it.
Better said than I could.

Blaser made a nice 6.5mm case and put a 7mm bullet in it.

Nosler made a nice 7mm case and put a 6.5mm bullet in it.

Remington made a nice 338 case and put a 30 cal bullet in it. Then they made a nice 30 cal case and put a 338 bullet in it.

What does the Geico commercial say?

Oh yeah.... "NAILED IT!" :D

With Wildcatting, I have designed some crazy combos. And often times when you draw out something crazy, you get a "Eurika!" moment. Those often seem to be the best designed calibers you can imagine.

I wish I had the money to invent them all, and if someone wants to throw me a "bone", I'll share some crazy ones that would blow your mind. But that's the beautiful thing about wildcatting. You can call me the "Mad Hatter" of wildcats, because some of them even shock me. But the more you ponder them, the less crazy they sound, and the more sense they make.

Hey Chris, you supply me with barrels, and if Berger supplies me with bullets, we'll take the LR world by storm. Seriously.

Oh, and Fred here needs to be part of it, too. He's also an "evil genious" with wildcats. I can tell just from his threads.

Testing day but...

I forgot my Pressure Trace II. Oh well, I'll have to go shooting again. Darn, I love when that happens.

24" barrel

Load data
Bullet: JLK VLD 180
COAL: 3.56
Powder: H1000
78 grains, 91% case capacity, 2790fps
79 grains, 92% case capacity, 2842fps
80 grains, 93% case capacity, 2873fps
81 grains, 94% case capacity, 2939ps
82 grains, 95% case capacity, 2972fps
83 grains, 96% case capacity, 2995fps
84 grains, 98% case capacity, 3022fps

I don't think this is max. No ejector marks rounded primer.

This seems ~100fps slower than QuickLoad predicts.

That seems a little slow to me as well...

I can hit over 3,000 fps with a 180 Hybrid in my STW with 72gr of 7828 SSC, and it's not a max load either... I'm hitting right at 3,000 fps with 71gr. I would try a different powder, to see if that helped anything.

Remember 7828 SSC is only 1 spot above RL25 on the burn scale, so it is a nice intermediate powder giving good velocities and positive characteristics with the heavy-for-caliber bullets.

That seems a little slow to me as well...

I can hit over 3,000 fps with a 180 Hybrid in my STW with 72gr of 7828 SSC, and it's not a max load either... I'm hitting right at 3,000 fps with 71gr. I would try a different powder, to see if that helped anything.

Remember 7828 SSC is only 1 spot above RL25 on the burn scale, so it is a nice intermediate powder giving good velocities and positive characteristics with the heavy-for-caliber bullets.
Darn, I have to shoot more. Cry, cry cry....:D

I'm perplexed a little because the 277/26-Nosler is 100fps fast and the 284/26-Nosler is 100fps slow. Barrel to barrel difference? I'll throw some copper remover down the 284 barrel to see if it's coppered up.

Darn, I have to shoot more. Cry, cry cry....:D

I'm perplexed a little because the 277/26-Nosler is 100fps fast and the 284/26-Nosler is 100fps slow. Barrel to barrel difference? I'll throw some copper remover down the 284 barrel to see if it's coppered up.

Could be a slow barrel. Also, shooting some of those David Tubbs bullets down the bore might polish out any imperfections and speed things up a bit. I have read lots of reviews where people said it not only helped with copper fouling, but it increased velocity, as well.

Could be a slow barrel. Also, shooting some of those David Tubbs bullets down the bore might polish out any imperfections and speed things up a bit. I have read lots of reviews where people said it not only helped with copper fouling, but it increased velocity, as well.
I've used the Tubbs system. Yes on both counts.

The other thing is to run the series of test and see if it breaks in a little better.

Got to agree with MudRunner, on the slow barrel. Seen it happen before, same caliber, barrel, action, etc. one barrel was right at 75 to 100 fps faster.

DT

So what is this gonna do that my 7stw

I would expect velocities to be similar, but like Fred said, I will actually fit in the mag box with long heavy bullets.

As soon as I get the cash, I will be sending off to Kiff for my custom carbide reamer set. I would normally get them from Fred, but I kind of put a little Mud in my design, and hot rodded it. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.