25-06 Load Development with H4831sc

I've shot more game with 25:06 than all my other calibers combined, I use a Hornady 120 gr. HP bullet and imr7828 for impressive speed and accuracy. Don't understand why that bullet isn't more popular as it performs!
Used this bullet in my 25/06 and 257 Wea mag also. Great bullet too bad Hornady has discontinued them.

Right off the Hodgdon bottle:

4BEF7C73-666C-44CE-B5B2-2D8FDCEC4F7E.jpeg

I've shot more game with 25:06 than all my other calibers combined, I use a Hornady 120 gr. HP bullet and imr7828 for impressive speed and accuracy. Don't understand why that bullet isn't more popular as it performs!
I have been using that bullet, but with H4831, and it has dropped a few mulies and whitetail. Sure destroys the boiler room. I will try 7828 when I can find it. Thanks, Red

I picked up a bunch of the 120 Hornady HP's (flat base) from an estate sale. The guy was apparently a die-hard 257 Roberts fan. Haven't loaded them yet, but it will be my go to whitetail load.

H4831 is an Aussie powder called AR2213 which I have used since it was developed in the early -mid 1980's.

The max loads in the manuals may be maximum in their test barrels, which are usually tighter chambered than most factory rifles which tend to take a little more.

Allthough we know that "excess" pressure signs on the cases show up around the 70k mark, they are still in fact, excess pressure signs, meaning if you find no changes in your brass and brass still reloads more than a half dozen times with the same results, then you are not over pressure in "your" rifle.

This is why many saavy reloaders use the same few cases when reloading new test rounds, so they can monitor wear and tear on the cases.

My point is that I have gone several grains more than current listed maximums, for over 25 years with my current model 70 with 26" Hart SS barrel with enviable accuracy and long case life hsing the same Wincheater cases all those years.

Using the 117gn Hornady, my rifle likes 57gn for 3173fps which is about the right (realistic) velocity for that weight. The same charge with 120gn Partitions generates 3148fps over my Oehler 35P.

The chronograph is the arbiter, not a printed manual. That, and watching the brass and counting the reloads per case.
Remember this, it may be well and good to promote ballistic labs and pressure testing equipment used on a barrel that is NOT yours, but the real world has millions of handloaders out there that has to use common sence when reloading. The Max in that Nosler book would turn my .25/06 into something far less than what Remington standardized for public consumption.

Last edited:

Recent Posts