25-06 Load Development Problem

KayakJack

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post. I'm military stationed in Tacoma, WA. Been shooting and handloading for the last 17 years. I recently picked up a Rem 700 Long Range in 25-06.

I have a sweet spot, sub-MOA with 75gr Vmax with 55 grains H4350, 3440fps
I have equal results with 100gr Match Kings over 51.5 grains IMR 4831, 3200fps.

Here is my problem. I want a heavier bullet for mid-size to big game so I loaded a set of 115gr Nosler Partitions in accordance with Nosler's recommended loads I loaded four 5-round sets at 48, 49, 50, & 51 grains IMR 4831. All of these resulted in 3-4" groups that are impacting 3 inches to the left of where my other rounds are grouping at. I went back to the range today and cleaned the bore between the 5 shot groups. I had the same result horrible groups hitting 3" left of aim. I immediately put in my 75gr VMax loads...back on target sub-MOA.

I've tried to figure out what the problem could be...powder, bullet seating depth, remington's quality issues affecting my rifle? Could it be my rifle just doesn't like the partitions? I've read the 1:10 twist rate isn't sufficient enough to stabilize the heavier bullets in 25-06. Could that be why they're being thrown loose and left?

Where to go from here? Try a different powder? Different 115 or 117 bullets? Perhaps a boat tail versus a flat based bullet? Otherwise, it's a tack driver with boat tails under 100gr and under.

IMO the 25-06 can be somewhat picky with heavy bullets. And the Nosler Partition has never been supper accurate in any rifle I've had. They are a hunting bullet first and foremost.
I would try the 115 Nosler Ballistic tips with the same load data and see if it shoots better. LOTS of people shoot the 110 Accubond and 110 Ballistic tip with the Retumbo load on Nosler's site. I used to shoot it too. Heart shot an antelope at 375 yards with it.

If you want to try some more economical bullets with good accuracy. I suggest the Sierra 117 Pro Hunter or SBT. They shoot less than 1/2 MOA in my 25-06 with the standard Sierra accuracy load in their manual. I have taken more game with it in my 25-06 than anything else. LOTS of 25-06 shooters use these bullets too!
Here's the Sierra accuracy load:
Brass: Federal
primer: Federal 210
Powder RL-22 @ 50.5 Grains
Bullet: Sierra 117
COAL: 3.130

Welcome to LRH KJ. My 25-06 likes the Speer 120G BTSP #1410. It's a boat-tail but sub MOA at 200 yds and has taken plenty of hogs and deer out to 237 so far. I load w/ RL 26, but it's hard to find sometimes. Should not be a twist problem. Speer site has load info too. Mine also shoots well w/ RL 16 so either one may help. Seems like different powders like different bullets out of the same rifle. Mine is a BDL w/ Bartlien 24" 8 twist. Doesn't like light bullets. 115G up. The Speer 1410 has a SG of 1.57 at 50' elev. and goes up w/ more elev.. Hope this helps.

Rhett

Jack, like Barrelnut stated many 25-06 reloaders have seen great performance with Retumbo. A friend (Savage 111) and my son (Ruger 77 II) have both been shooting the 115 Bergers with it and couldn't be happier. Good luck

Thanks for the friendly welcome and advice. I'm having fun with the 25-06 so far. I chose it just because I don't like following the crowd and I believe the saying that "It is a handloader's dream."

I have been shooting the 25-06 the past 25 years. It all depends on the rifle but like has been said the Nosler Partition is not the most accurate bullet on the planet and sounds like your rifle just does not like it. I have a custom Rem 700 Shilen barrel 25-06 that does not really like boat tail bullets but shoots like a bench rest rifle with most any flat base bullet. My go to bullet for deer size game is the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter. I shoot 49 grs IMR or AA 4350, Rem case, CCI 250 primer and it averages 3000 fps from the 26" barrel and 1/4 MOA ona windless day. I self impose limit my shots on deer to around 500 yards due to energy loss but I have never needed more velocity to kill everything I have squeezed the trigger on with this rifle because I know where it shoots at what ever yardage out to my 500 yards self imposed limit. I have killed in excess of 100 white tail with this rifle and never had to shoot one twice. The 25-06 is one caliber that with most any 100 to 120 gr bullet seems to just drop game in their tracks. When shooting ground hogs with the Sierra 87 SP with 52.2 grs IMR 4350 even with marginal hits you never have a crawler because it scatters pieces. Solid hits red mist them. I know there are plenty of new powders and bullets but at this stage of the game I am not going to try to fix what ain't broken. Good luck and have fun smoking stuff with the 25-06.

The 1:10" twist is sufficient for 120gr bullets, so your 115's will be stable.
No barrel shoots to the same POI when changing bullet weight/load, barrels oscillate in an oblong. Where the bullet exits in this oblong vibration dictates where the bullet strikes.
I would suggest a slower powder, H1000, Retumbo, RE25/26 or 7828 all work best with heavy bullets in the 25-06.

Cheers.

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post. I'm military stationed in Tacoma, WA. Been shooting and handloading for the last 17 years. I recently picked up a Rem 700 Long Range in 25-06.

Here is my problem. I want a heavier bullet for mid-size to big game so I loaded a set of 115gr Nosler Partitions in accordance with Nosler's recommended loads I loaded four 5-round sets at 48, 49, 50, & 51 grains IMR 4831. All of these resulted in 3-4" groups that are impacting 3 inches to the left of where my other rounds are grouping at. I went back to the range today and cleaned the bore between the 5 shot groups. I had the same result horrible groups hitting 3" left of aim. I immediately put in my 75gr VMax loads...back on target sub-MOA.

I've tried to figure out what the problem could be...powder, bullet seating depth, remington's quality issues affecting my rifle? Could it be my rifle just doesn't like the partitions? I've read the 1:10 twist rate isn't sufficient enough to stabilize the heavier bullets in 25-06. Could that be why they're being thrown loose and left?

Where to go from here? Try a different powder? Different 115 or 117 bullets? Perhaps a boat tail versus a flat based bullet? Otherwise, it's a tack driver with boat tails under 100gr and under.
I have been shooting 115 gr Nosler partitions in my x bolt ever since I got it several years ago. Using IMR 4831 I never have a group over 1" and 52 or 52.5 gr is always at 1/2 in. or less. Love the performance of the partitions. They have never failed me on Muleys, Whitetail, or Elk.

When i bought my Tikka (1 in10") it came with roughly 500 120 gr federal fusions. Wanted like heck to make these work, but no measure of powder (including retumbo) would get me better than 1.5-2". After beating my head on that wall for a bit, i decided to go a little lighter and tried the 110gr Accubonds. Rain stopped, clouds parted, and angels sang. That bullet with IMR 4831 shoots small holes quite easily.
Im old enough to know that there are other factors or combinations of them that may have made the 120gr Fusions work acceptably in that gun, but for me it was just easier to try the bullet i actually wanted to be shooting in the first place.
YMMV

Hello Everyone,

I shoot my 25:06 with 120gr Hornady hollow points , a great hunting bullet which does not deform the tip in the mag. I use 7828 IMR and get over 3000fps and have had great sub moa accuracy in every 25:06 I've owned. I've shot everything from antelope to elk with that combo.

I was going to give recommendations for bullets and loads but others have said everything I was going to add.

You should be very happy with your 25-06 for deer sized game. I personally believe it's one of the most useful cartridges ever. It will reach out 400-500 yards and drop a deer in its tracks yet not shred a deer if you get a close shot. I switched from a 7 MM Rem Mag to a .25-06 for deer hunting 25 years ago after I shot a deer in the head at almost point-blank range with my 7 mag and the bullet ended up under the skin at the back of the hind quarter. Along the way that 7 mag shredded most of the deer. I have always been happy with the change. You will be too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.