25-06 Load Development Problem

I have been shooting 115 gr Nosler partitions in my x bolt ever since I got it several years ago. Using IMR 4831 I never have a group over 1" and 52 or 52.5 gr is always at 1/2 in. or less. Love the performance of the partitions. They have never failed me on Muleys, Whitetail, or Elk.
Right on the Partitions! I've always shot the 100 gr Partition over IMR4350 in tuned case's formed from government '06 brass, approaching 3,300 FPS and getting well under MOA...excellent open field load to 300+ yds on PA whitetails. Blueprint your assembled ammo to your gun's chambering, especially at loaded round's case neck's outside diameter...don't get any bigger than the OD of a fired, unsized case neck from the same specific rifle's chamber (check several fired cases). Also, redevelop your loads in a cautious manner, and closely watch case length as well as headspace. Keep your custom blueprinted ammo and your rifle's chamber very clean and corrosion free. When hunting dangerous game (brown bears, mountain lion, etc.) stick to factory loads of an appropriate caliber using your favorite Bullet type.

Last edited:
I will add, regardless of it's temp instability, RE25 has outperformed every powder I have put through all 3 of my 25-06's.
It's no where as unstable as RE22, which I work up loads in hot temps with these 2 due to a nasty surprise some years ago with a locked up bolt and a pitted boltface that almost ruined an 18 hour drive trip after pigs. I always take a backup gun or 2. Lucky I had my CDL with me too.
Velocity, and great accuracy, I get with RE25 is quite impressive, 100gr Partitions/Speer Hor Cor @ 3400fps, 110gr Accubond @ 3336fps, 115gr Partition @ 3226fps and 115gr Berger @ 3198fps. All in 24" barrels. My Sendero is faster, but it is longer too. My M77 prints 3/8-1/2 MoA with the above and my CDL a little larger.
The Sendero is just lights out, grouping in the .1's often and never over .3's.

Cheers.

In the three 25/06's I've owned either of the 117"s offered by Sierra with IMR 4831 have shot very well. The CCI 250 primer has also worked for me. In my heavy barreled 25/06 the Sierra 100gr matchking shoots light's out with Norma MRP.

Slight side note... are any of the other tipped bullets a little more resilient to recoil abuse in the magazine? I love the accubonds on game and ive never noticed any ill affect on performance, but the bent over tips do annoy me. All that being said, i cant actually remember if i see tip deformation on the 25-06 or if its just the more abusive cartridges i use them in.

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post. I'm military stationed in Tacoma, WA. Been shooting and handloading for the last 17 years. I recently picked up a Rem 700 Long Range in 25-06.

I have a sweet spot, sub-MOA with 75gr Vmax with 55 grains H4350, 3440fps
I have equal results with 100gr Match Kings over 51.5 grains IMR 4831, 3200fps.

Here is my problem. I want a heavier bullet for mid-size to big game so I loaded a set of 115gr Nosler Partitions in accordance with Nosler's recommended loads I loaded four 5-round sets at 48, 49, 50, & 51 grains IMR 4831. All of these resulted in 3-4" groups that are impacting 3 inches to the left of where my other rounds are grouping at. I went back to the range today and cleaned the bore between the 5 shot groups. I had the same result horrible groups hitting 3" left of aim. I immediately put in my 75gr VMax loads...back on target sub-MOA.

I've tried to figure out what the problem could be...powder, bullet seating depth, remington's quality issues affecting my rifle? Could it be my rifle just doesn't like the partitions? I've read the 1:10 twist rate isn't sufficient enough to stabilize the heavier bullets in 25-06. Could that be why they're being thrown loose and left?

Where to go from here? Try a different powder? Different 115 or 117 bullets? Perhaps a boat tail versus a flat based bullet? Otherwise, it's a tack driver with boat tails under 100gr and under.
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post. I'm military stationed in Tacoma, WA. Been shooting and handloading for the last 17 years. I recently picked up a Rem 700 Long Range in 25-06.

Here is my problem. I want a heavier bullet for mid-size to big game so I loaded a set of 115gr Nosler Partitions in accordance with Nosler's recommended loads I loaded four 5-round sets at 48, 49, 50, & 51 grains IMR 4831. All of these resulted in 3-4" groups that are impacting 3 inches to the left of where my other rounds are grouping at. I went back to the range today and cleaned the bore between the 5 shot groups. I had the same result horrible groups hitting 3" left of aim. I immediately put in my 75gr VMax loads...back on target sub-MOA.

I've tried to figure out what the problem could be...powder, bullet seating depth, remington's quality issues affecting my rifle? Could it be my rifle just doesn't like the partitions? I've read the 1:10 twist rate isn't sufficient enough to stabilize the heavier bullets in 25-06. Could that be why they're being thrown loose and left?

Where to go from here? Try a different powder? Different 115 or 117 bullets? Perhaps a boat tail versus a flat based bullet? Otherwise, it's a tack driver with boat tails under 100gr and under.

Hello Everyone,

I have been reloading for 20+ years 120 gr. Nosler partitions with 55 grs. of H-4831. Very accurate in my rifle.

My Browning 25-06 10 twist really likes 100 Gr. Partitions! It does not like any of the 115-120 Gr. bullets at all? It doesn't seem like much but there is a noticeable difference!

I was an early convert to the 25-06. One is a first-year production BDL w/ pretty walnut that has over 3000 rounds down the pipe. I'm chasing the lands but for years my go to bullet/powder combination was IMR4831 and the 120 BTSP Speer bullet. When it started going south on me, I switched to the 110 Nosler AB. I tried several powders including: IMR & H 4831, IMR & H 4350, 7828 SSC, H1000 and RL19. The one I found that works for both of my 25's is IMR7977. .75" or better loads.
As for the partitions, I wouldn't give up on them just yet. They may just need a different powder. Try a couple of different one's that have been mention above, one just may be the cat's meow in your rifle.

H4831sc is the best powder I have loaded for the .25-06, running 117's and 120's. 4350 works well too.
I haven't tried the slower powders mentioned, but after having joined this forum and studying others comments would try that kool aid.
In the 75 gr. Vmax I run Varget and 4064 with almost identical results.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.