Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Which brand of shooting chronograph do you use?

• Shooting Chrony

Votes: 512 36.2%
  • Oehler

Votes: 235 16.6%
  • CED M2

Votes: 189 13.3%
  • Pact

Votes: 127 9.0%
  • PVM-22

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Pro Chrony

Votes: 343 24.2%

• Total voters
I use a Pact Chrony. I've used three different Chronys and they all are weather temparate. Direct sun or too overcast both have a influence on performance. Must learn to work around conditions. I give the Pact professional a 10 out 10 for function and price. Gives a new dimention in rolling your own.

I use a Pact Chrony.

Did you mean PACT Professional? Or PACT chronograph? The confusion here is that some brand models of chronographs are commonly referred to as 'Chrony'. Like the Shooting Chrony model chronograph. My interest is that I also have a PACT chronograph so I'm always interested in how the PACT models are performing.

Besides that bit of confusion, I think you're saying you're having good success with a PACT brand of chronograph. How old is your PACT and what specific PACT model is it? Mine is an older PACT PC2. I bought it used several years ago. It's been a solid performer when run in triplicate and comparing the data with my Oehler 33s and Oehler 35P. Primary difference - as mentioned prior - my PACT does poop out in fading light prior to the Oehlers. But in decent light, it's performed very consistently with the two Oehlers.

Oehler 35 now after hearing the good reports from members here. And having a proof screen to me is like haveing two chronographs to compare each shot.

Jeff

I use a Pact Chrony. I've used three different Chronys and they all are weather temparate. Direct sun or too overcast both have a influence on performance. Must learn to work around conditions. I give the Pact professional a 10 out 10 for function and price. Gives a new dimention in rolling your own.

do you have the newest verson? Reason I ask is that I'm thinking about getting one to replace my PC2. As for light problems, try putting tin foil over the top of the light screen (the curved piece that holds the two vertical pieces together). Never had much of a problem with the late afternoon sun, but the noon time sun can be a pain with any of them.
gary

Did you mean PACT Professional? Or PACT chronograph? The confusion here is that some brand models of chronographs are commonly referred to as 'Chrony'. Like the Shooting Chrony model chronograph. My interest is that I also have a PACT chronograph so I'm always interested in how the PACT models are performing.

Besides that bit of confusion, I think you're saying you're having good success with a PACT brand of chronograph. How old is your PACT and what specific PACT model is it? Mine is an older PACT PC2. I bought it used several years ago. It's been a solid performer when run in triplicate and comparing the data with my Oehler 33s and Oehler 35P. Primary difference - as mentioned prior - my PACT does poop out in fading light prior to the Oehlers. But in decent light, it's performed very consistently with the two Oehlers.

I've had problems with chronographs in extreme bright light with most all brands. I learned from a well known shooter that you can cut the light back by using tinfoil tape. They even sell it with a sticky side at hobby shops. I simply take two strips with me in my range box in case I have a problem. Had to use this four or five times over the years. I do have one friend that is using the transparent grey film used in shipping envelopes for computer boards. Have never see it in use, but he says it works well.
gary

I've had problems with chronographs in extreme bright light with most all brands. I learned from a well known shooter that you can cut the light back by using tinfoil tape. They even sell it with a sticky side at hobby shops. I simply take two strips with me in my range box in case I have a problem. Had to use this four or five times over the years. I do have one friend that is using the transparent grey film used in shipping envelopes for computer boards. Have never see it in use, but he says it works well.
gary

Gary,
I haven't experienced any problems with the PACT PC2 in bright lighting yet, with the use of the sunshades over the skyscreens. Only that in dimming lighting conditions in the evening, the PACT unit fails to provide recorded velocities first, and then the Oehlers will fail later as the available light continues to decrease.

I've had problems with both brands in bluebird, full sunlight conditions when I've forgotten the skyscreen sunshades and tried to record bullet velocity under blue sky conditions.

Len,

How do I start a new post?

I posted my Allen 7STW for sale in the Guns for Sale forum, and it hasn't shown up on the New Threads forum.

Please advise.

thanks,

LewisH

I don't know when I got my old pro chrono sometime in the early 90s. I have had it so long the plastic diffugers have disintegrated and I had to by replacements 2 years ago. I also had to repace the battery conector. How accurate it is, I don't know, but it works pretty good for all these years.

I have a CED M2… I like the features but unless there is a cloudless sky I wont bother taking it to the range. It requires bright sun light to work reliably, and I have had many frustrated days with just a few readings out of 30 rounds fired. If I had a do over. I would have spent the extra $ and bought an Oehler

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a PACT PC2 that I've been using since they first came out. Kinda thinking about getting a new one (PACT) this spring.
gary

Gary,
I'm sure you know I also own and use a PACT PC2 as one of the three chronographs in my triplicate chronograph setup. As long as there's sufficient light, it seems to function just as well as the Oehler 33 and the Oehler 35P. I purchased my PACT PC2 used. I have also purchased and used two Oehler 33s that were both purchased used. My Oehler 35P was purchased new this past summer.

Gary,
I'm sure you know I also own and use a PACT PC2 as one of the three chronographs in my triplicate chronograph setup. As long as there's sufficient light, it seems to function just as well as the Oehler 33 and the Oehler 35P. I purchased my PACT PC2 used. I have also purchased and used two Oehler 33s that were both purchased used. My Oehler 35P was purchased new this past summer.

when I buy the new chronograph, I'm going to do some experimenting with the PC2. First thing I'm going to do is to build a 36" and a 48" light bar.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.