Kodiak brown bear rifle

:)
Pink Floyd Rules, I AGREE!

Here's another amazing tune that reminds me of when I hunt elk and moose before daybreak in the morning as I walk through wet grass. It's called "Morning Dew" enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJTe_VYH-24

Life ain't nothing but a boogie woogie riddle. Thank God I hunt, do it while you can!

Finding it hard to understand that you guys have not responded to my last message. If that song does not remind you of hunting big game, makes me wonder???

Anyways I will keep hunting my way, unguided in Grizz country :) gun)

I was going too but thought twice.
This thread was started for a informational gathering by me about alaskan brown bears and those experiences.
While I understand your passion and appreciate your input. Music preferances take this thread off the intended course.

I was going too but thought twice.
This thread was started for a informational gathering by me about alaskan brown bears and those experiences.
While I understand your passion and appreciate your input. Music preferances take this thread off the intended course.

How many bears have you killed, I ask that respectfully?

I lost count. But even if I knew, I wouldn't tell. I'm not competing in a contest.

lol, nice!

Just curious, what is the smallest caliber you have used to kill a bear? Personally the smallest caliber weapon I have used is a 100 grain Thunderhead. :eek:)

Sdb6lM2l.jpg

The biggest caliber I have used it this

PVYePd0l.jpg

Last edited:
I have never shot a Kodiak bear myself, but to add to the conversation, I fondled a 470 Nitro Express last week and was drooling. Those double barrel rifles are just works of art man. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to take one out in the brush hunting though.

I guess it was only $14,500 though...

Munit01.jpg

Found this today, which is why I use them for bears. I call them Big Bad Medicine! gun)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrhpAZoiqxE

Hmmm a 12 Gauge slug that's over 3,500ft lbs of energy... and made from an alloy so hard it can penetrate engines (per their website). Thanks for posting.

12 GA 2 ¾'' SPECIAL FORCES MAX. BARRIER PENETR. MAG.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...-1650-fps-5-rounds-sl122mbpm-4030128121420.do

(It's amazing to me though it drops almost 1000ft lbs of energy within the first 25 yards).

All I know is that when I am bow hunting in Grizz country I always have my Mossy 88 on my back. Slugs are devastating and gets any man eater's attention, right quick! lightbulb

Opps sorry Mr. or Mrs. Bear I am not dying today, Bang!!!!! you are LMAO

Just so everyone here knows, I am an APEX PREDETOR and frankly I don't sweat the small S--t because it isn't worth the time. Bears that I have met me in full attack mode have all met their maker. I am sure they can't wait to chase me again in heaven, I look forward to that. Amen!

Last edited:
All I know is that when I am bow hunting in Grizz country I always have my Mossy 88 on my back. Slugs are devastating and gets any man eater's attention, right quick! lightbulb

Opps sorry Mr. or Mrs. Bear I am not dying today, Bang!!!!! you are LMAO

Just so everyone here knows, I am an APEX PREDETOR and frankly I don't sweat the small S--t because it isn't worth the time. Bears that I have met me in full attack mode have all met their maker. I am sure they can't wait to chase me again in heaven, I look forward to that. Amen!

"Slugs are devastating and gets any man eater's attention, right quick!"
How many bears have you shot with these? Sounds like you have a lot of experience.

"Bears that I have met me in full attack mode have all met their maker."
How many time have you been charged by a Kodiak bear? I'm assuming you kept your **** together and killed all those bears because you're still around. In my experience, when a bear charges, one of you is going to die. Kodiak brown bears are one of the most tenacious and formidable bears in the world. What were the circumstances with your bear charges?

I live in one of the most densely populated Kodiak brown bear areas and I'm interested in your experiences with them.

"Slugs are devastating and gets any man eater's attention, right quick!"
How many bears have you shot with these? Sounds like you have a lot of experience.

"Bears that I have met me in full attack mode have all met their maker."
How many time have you been charged by a Kodiak bear? I'm assuming you kept your **** together and killed all those bears because you're still around. In my experience, when a bear charges, one of you is going to die. Kodiak brown bears are one of the most tenacious and formidable bears in the world. What were the circumstances with your bear charges?

I live in one of the most densely populated Kodiak brown bear areas and I'm interested in your experiences with them.

Firstly I have ZERO experience hunting Kodiaks!

After bow hunting black bears for many years (and never on a guided hunt every hunt was a do it myself without a guide) and hunting in Grizzly country for many years, my belief is that ALL BEARS ARE DANGEROUS! Only stupid or foolhardy people believe otherwise. The two bears I have killed in charge mode were killed with my defender with 3" 1 oz. slugs. One charge was at a bait site, the other was over a moose that I was dressing in the field.

The point I have been trying to make is that you do not need a CANON to kill a Kodiak. Like the guide said in his earlier post, a lady client killed her Kodiak with her 300 WSM. Personally I would have no issues using my 300 Win Mag with the Accubond ABLR's in 190 Gr.

If I ever went on a Kodiak bear hunt, this is how I would do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJLISMIPjg

With any luck, we would not get charged after my shot and the guide would not have to finish the job with his rifle, so I could take the credit for the kill. I see no point on going on a hunt to have a guide kill your animal. With that said would I have my guide standing over my back with a rifle just like this bow hunter did, you bet your a-- I would lol!

Hope that helps you?

Last edited:
I have absolutely no experience with bears, so I gotta ask a few questions:
1. Are you comparing some experience shooting a charging bear that may top out about 500 pounds to one like the 1400 plus pounder in the video?
2. You would feel comfortable shooting an animal larger than, could cover ground quicker than and do more damage to you than a small car...with a rapid expansion bullet made for long range?
3. In the scenario of the video you posted; you would have been fine with the guide standing next to you defending against a wounded charging 1400 pound monster...with a .300 WinMag loaded with said LR quick expansion bullet?

With something like this I would be a plan for the worst kinda person.

I have absolutely no experience with bears, so I gotta ask a few questions:
1. Are you comparing some experience shooting a charging bear that may top out about 500 pounds to one like the 1400 plus pounder in the video?
2. You would feel comfortable shooting an animal larger than, could cover ground quicker than and do more damage to you than a small car...with a rapid expansion bullet made for long range?
3. In the scenario of the video you posted; you would have been fine with the guide standing next to you defending against a wounded charging 1400 pound monster...with a .300 WinMag loaded with said LR quick expansion bullet?

With something like this I would be a plan for the worst kinda person.

Here is one black bear I killed with my bow @ 18 yards stalked on the ground. He weighted 750 lbs. with a skull measurement of 22 1/4", I was by myself without a guide backing me up. Some people live in fear and others don't.

To respond to your 3rd question, I would choose slugs for that type of situation. Unlike you, I base my opinions on experience, not hypothetic reasoning without any bear hunting experience.

I would have no issues bow hunting with a guide backing me up with a rifle, or hunting with my 300 Win Mag.

Kudq0aPl.jpg