CA deer bullet

I used to shoot Barnes exclusively. I love the way Copper mono bullets penetrate.
But I like the Hammer bullets even more than Barnes, so I've switched to them. They also come in production cartidges so you don't have to reload. I'd second contacting Steve at Hammer Bullets! He's a great guy and he will communicate with you directly.

My thoughts are the 150 and 165 grain are too heavy to get the long range velocity you'd need for expansion in blacktail. You will need to handload, as nobody I'm aware of, loads 110-130 grain lead free bullets in their ammo for the 308. I shot a hog with my AR10 last spring with a handloads using 110 grain GSX. I brain shot it from 125 yards and it was. DRT. Didn't recover the bullet. It's fast and accurate, though over gassed, in my AR10. You could try a custom reloading company to make up your loads if you don't reload. Remember, lighter than normal bullet selection, for lead free.

Totally agree. Most wardens that hunt (that I've talked to) don't like the law or the bullets/material we have to use but with my luck I would get caught by that one that does. I'll play it safe and abide by the law. Once I get farmilar with loading my own I plan on playing with the Hammer bullets but I am just beginning down the rabbit hole of reloading so this year I'll probably shoot factory ammo with Barnes or GMX.
We sound like 2 peas in a pod. 😎

When I start "rolling" my own ammo I absolutely will but I am still collecting parts and knowledge on reloading
You tube will start you learning and take you a long way....and you are right...when you are ready......but DON'T CALL STEVE AT HAMMER...until he figures out how to sell his bullets in Canada....he's too busy!

Totally agree. Most wardens that hunt (that I've talked to) don't like the law or the bullets/material we have to use but with my luck I would get caught by that one that does. I'll play it safe and abide by the law. Once I get farmilar with loading my own I plan on playing with the Hammer bullets but I am just beginning down the rabbit hole of reloading so this year I'll probably shoot factory ammo with Barnes or GMX.
Just keep Two coppers bullets in a holder on the gun.....you see a stranger....load em in! Otherwise...shoot and shut-up 🤣 it's a lot simpler than trying to hide a 50 bmg from prying eyes!

If your shots are 300ish and in, I'd consider going relatively light for caliber and push them fast for good expansion and flatter trajectory. I have never shot GMX but I've read they don't expand well at velocities under 2200 FPS. I've shot Barnes TSX, TTSX and LRX with great results at 300 yds and in. I think that you'd still have good expansion out to 400 yards (maybe farther) depending on which bullet (Barnes) you run. Check your velocity to double check.
I have also read a lot of good things about Hammer bullets and would consider using those as well.
Double check your barrel twist if you go heavy. Copper bullets run long.
Personally I'd go with the .270 over the .308 assuming it shoots as well.

Just keep Two coppers bullets in a holder on the gun.....you see a stranger....load em in! Otherwise...shoot and shut-up 🤣 it's a lot simpler than trying to hide a 50 bmg from prying eyes!
How is the book coming? I have been waiting for someone to write a book about all the different ways to fool a game warden in the field and back home. So far I like the chapter about hiding black bears in a Ketsup bottle. But you do know, not everyone hunts black bears with a .50 BMG. Your chapter on saying "This Gorgeous Girl right here Did it" is a great chapter for guys that like descriptive stories about beautiful women, but I doubt that a female warden is gonna cut you much slack. But my favorite chapter is where you share your rum with that pair of rooky wardens and get them to shoot ground squirrels with the .50 BMG and make sausage out of them. Only a swell fellow like you could write a book about fooling game wardens, and become a millionaire because the game wardens bought every copy you could print.

And I'll have a talk with Steve at Hammer and get him to sell his bullets in Canada as soon as True-doe stops playing dress up as the Prime Minister. The little weirdo!

How is the book coming? I have been waiting for someone to write a book about all the different ways to fool a game warden in the field and back home. So far I like the chapter about hiding black bears in a Ketsup bottle. But you do know, not everyone hunts black bears with a .50 BMG. Your chapter on saying "This Gorgeous Girl right here Did it" is a great chapter for guys that like descriptive stories about beautiful women, but I doubt that a female warden is gonna cut you much slack. But my favorite chapter is where you share your rum with that pair of rooky wardens and get them to shoot ground squirrels with the .50 BMG and make sausage out of them. Only a swell fellow like you could write a book about fooling game wardens, and become a millionaire because the game wardens bought every copy you could print.

And I'll have a talk with Steve at Hammer and get him to sell his bullets in Canada as soon as True-doe stops playing dress up as the Prime Minister. The little weirdo!
10 years an outfitter with 26' Jet Boats on the Athabasca River....you know I could write that book! Great campfire reading....and it's a bear hide in a Jerry Can....not a ketchup bottle....Rum fogs your memory!

10 years an outfitter with 26' Jet Boats on the Athabasca River....you know I could write that book! Great campfire reading....and it's a bear hide in a Jerry Can....not a ketchup bottle....Rum fogs your memory!
My memory is definitely foggy. I am quite sure you could write that book. It would be a best seller with all of your cute little sayings. And I'd love to see the pictures, too.