Bullet for mule deer hunt

Thanks! I'm traumatized by the mesquite and Cedar I deal with where I hunt in West Texas 🤣. If you don't drop them a whole world of pain begins
I know the feeling. Hunting the open country can be awesome. There are plenty of places in east Montana where a deer could run a mile after your shot and you might still watch him fall.

Here's one for you to dream about.My pup shot it w/my 338NM,300 otm, 500+.Isaw it stand up out of its bed at top off mtn after long hike in dark. He had a hard lie down hill for shot.Few years back
IMG_1239.JPG

Here's one for you to dream about.My pup shot it w/my 338NM,300 otm, 500+.Isaw it stand up out of its bed at top off mtn after long hike in dark. He had a hard lie down hill for shot.Few years backView attachment 475574
Amazing! I'd love to shoot a deer like that! Congratulations!!

It'll freight train a deer and your shoulder I bet. 😉
Not bad on recoil with a good brake, I've gone through phases with rifles, I'm back at the " I need a Magnum" phase 🤣, pretty sure I'll move to my 30-06 is just fine again, It's just a very fun process to learn all about a new chambering.

Lots of Love for the Rum's In my Family !
This should be a exciting hunt ! Expect a slight breeze in Eastern Montana...like 30 to 40 mph plus at times .
I truly believe that 300 Rum is a Perfect choice !
I should be out there with my Kids this fall so looking forward to your pictures !

I will bring a few pew pew's !

300 Rum & 245 gr bergers
338 Rum & 300 gr bergers
375 Rum & 350 gr cutting edge lazers
My Son will have a choice for his hunt !

Rum Man

Lots of Love for the Rum's In my Family !
This should be a exciting hunt ! Expect a slight breeze in Eastern Montana...like 30 to 40 mph plus at times .
I truly believe that 300 Rum is a Perfect choice !
I should be out there with my Kids this fall so looking forward to your pictures !

I will bring a few pew pew's !

300 Rum & 245 gr bergers
338 Rum & 300 gr bergers
375 Rum & 350 gr cutting edge lazers
My Son will have a choice for his hunt !

Rum Man
Best of luck to you as well!

I've hunted eastern MT since 2004. Shots have averaged 300 yds or so, with a couple approaching 500. I've never felt I needed more than 165s out of 300wby for those ranges. In fact, the last couple years I've stepped down to a 270wsm. The primary reason for stepping down is even in a lighter rifle, I can always recover from recoil to see impact. For these ranges, I wonder if the heavies are really needed. Of course, need is a four letter word…

Would you have any concern using a 245 Berger Elite Hunter bullet out of a 300 Norma on Mulies? What I'm worried is failure to expand as it's a pretty heavy for caliber bullet hitting a not too bulky animal. Appreciate the input.
dumbest animal on the planet next to sheep and cows. they will stop and look at you and usually turn sideways. a 30-30 is overkill, I live in E. Montana and have killed them with everything from 22-250, M1 Carbine, 30-30, 270, 30-06, 357 pistol the only challenge to hunting Mule dear is dragging their *** out of the bottom of the Ravine they run and drop into,

I think a 7 prc pushing a 195 EH at 2900 fps is plenty good enough. Or a 300 wsm pushing a 195 BD2 or a 205 EH at 2900.
Any combo of a g1 bc bullet of .65+ going 2900+ fps that can put 1200+ #'s of energy on target is a winner. At 7000 ft of altitude even a 7mag 8T will do it.