Bullet for mule deer hunt

Would you have any concern using a 245 Berger Elite Hunter bullet out of a 300 Norma on Mulies? What I'm worried is failure to expand as it's a pretty heavy for caliber bullet hitting a not too bulky animal. Appreciate the input.

Obviously, impact velocity must be considered…..but, I've very successfully used bullets much tougher than your stated bullet on Mule Deer and Pronghorns!

I know nothing about your chosen bullet…..but, placed where it needs to go, it should work just fine! My only concern, and this is with most cup and core bullets …… how will it perform on a near "point blank" impact? memtb

One of my guys shot a bedded mule deer buck last year at 600 yards with a 245 EOL. Estimated impact velocity was around 2140 fps. Bullet went about a foot too far back, about middle point in the buck. It entered below the spine, in between the ribs, and when it exited, it barely nicked the spine. It expanded enough to cause significant damage for the animal to die quickly even with the poor shot. I shot mine at 300 yards behind the shoulder and it expanded beautifully. These are great bullets for deer with perfect shots, and even the poor shots. Lets be honest, bad shots happen and all around performance/expansion of the bullet is what matters.

Sounds like an elk cartridge. Just pick out a giant mule. I have seen two giant ones over the years.
One jumped from center of the road and over a ditch and fence....seemed like he flew 30 feet. His antlers were a nest and if I was told 6x6 plus I would believe it.
The other mulie I walked up on and thought I was looking at the backside of a cow. He raised his head and his rack looked like a manora ( the you see holding candles around Christmas ). 5x5?
He totally ignored me and went back to munching. It was 90 and August and I was wading through cheat grass ( stupidly ) with a pack of boy scouts...
Sounds like a good trip coming up.
Enjoy,
Lee

Sounds like an elk cartridge. Just pick out a giant mule. I have seen two giant ones over the years.
One jumped from center of the road and over a ditch and fence....seemed like he flew 30 feet. His antlers were a nest and if I was told 6x6 plus I would believe it.
The other mulie I walked up on and thought I was looking at the backside of a cow. He raised his head and his rack looked like a manora ( the you see holding candles around Christmas ). 5x5?
He totally ignored me and went back to munching. It was 90 and August and I was wading through cheat grass ( stupidly ) with a pack of boy scouts...
Sounds like a good trip coming up.
Enjoy,
Lee
I'll try 🤣. I'd be happy having a good time and getting a mature deer. Not many of those where I hunt in TX.

MSSMITH, The mountain bucks are gray ghost and if they glimpse you in the timber at 500 yrds there gone over the next ridge to never be seen again.They are living with grizzly and cats and are wary. I remember one of my first trips east.I did 4 mile loop, to get on ridge above these 5 bucks, last day.Got within 600 and got in a confusion with my son spotting, which one I was shooting.Piled him with the 338NM.Then I walked down to within 100 yrds before the other deer ran off. I was like what the ...

I have had great results with the Berger 195 EOL. 20-780 yards, all performed great. I am hoping to use the 245 EOL in my 300 NMI project thats getting done soon.

Honestly, it would be shocking to hear of anything but good performance from an EOL. I have not experienced "over expansion" or "failure to expand" an any game using an EOL. At least in my 28 Nosler/195 EOL, they either leave a baseball sized exit or end up as a huge lead mushroom just under the skin on the off side.

I have had great results with the Berger 195 EOL. 20-780 yards, all performed great. I am hoping to use the 245 EOL in my 300 NMI project thats getting done soon.

Honestly, it would be shocking to hear of anything but good performance from an EOL. I have not experienced "over expansion" or "failure to expand" an any game using an EOL. At least in my 28 Nosler/195 EOL, they either leave a baseball sized exit or end up as a huge lead mushroom just under the skin on the off side.
300 NMI that's my next project!