22-250 bullet for deer?

aaroncarp

I just got the T/C venture predator 22-250. I bought the gun mostly for coyotes and gophers. However, I thought I would also like to use the gun to fill whitetail B tags and such. My issue is that T/Cs website says it is a 1:12" twist barrel and every large (65-90) grain bullet I can find requires atleast 1:10" or 1:8".. Am i just **** outta luck, and take a shot with a 55 grain bullet? or do any of you know a good load for deer with a slower barrel twist?

Thanks in advance

I've shot a lot of whitetail with 50-55 gr soft points, Sierra makes a 55gr game king that is stellar in the slower twist rate rifles.

60 grain partition and 70 grain speer will work well in the slower twist 22 cal's. I'm a fan of moving up in caliber, but through the slats it'll get the job done.

Yes I am a fan of larger calibers as well, but I have been looking at a 22-250 for a while. I have a 300 RUM that I hunt big game with any time there is a chance to see an elk. But if I am hunting whitetail down in the flats the 300 RUM is just a tad overkill. My next gun will be a 280 Ackley Improved, which will bridge the gap well, but thats a few years out I think.

Easy answer as stated before 60 gr partitions. Only bullet to hand load for deer and pigs. Never a fan of 22 Cal for deer or pigs till I loaded these. Especially in the 22-250. Load those and feel confident in them.

The 50 or 53gr tsx from barnes. The sierra 63 gr sp or 65 gr sp , and the nosler 64 gr bonded will stabilize out of your rifle.

The 53gr. Barnes X-bullets in a 223 makes for a long tracking job. It does kill, but it takes a while with a double lung shot. I won't use it again. Might be better in a 22/250 if the ranges are kept short.

I've dropped alot of deer using Sierra Gamekings in 55grs and my Sako 75 in 22-250.

No problems at all. Concentrate on the bullet placement.

Perfect. This gun is very easy to load develop with as I havent had any load shoot over an inch at 100 which includes factory shells. I found a good varmit load that splits paper just set up on sandbags and I have had the gun for a week. I wont carry the gun as a primary deer gun but if I have a doe tag to fill out on the farm, I see no reason to carry the 300 RUM... From the little shooting I have done with it I dont feel like shot placement will be too difficult. Thanks everyone for your input.. Keep it coming.

I have the same rifle and it really likes the 53 gn Vmax, which I felt was likely the highest BC bullet I could shoot with the 1 in 12 twist rate. Ive only shot coyotes with it but I would be comfortable using it for whitetails within the reasonable limitations of the caliber.

Any of the lead free varieties in the 50-60 grain range will stabalize in a 1-12".
I used the Barnes X when they first came out in a 223 and killed hundreds of pigs and feral goats. If thats what you have, use it. Beware the man with one gun!

Nosler 60gr Par or Sierra 65gr Game King I've used both on Idaho Whitetails; they did a great job from my .223 Rem and 22.250 Ackley Improved.
Cheer's

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.