Handgun bullet for Deer

300 gr. Nosler JHP on top of 20 grs. of H110 powder. Deer or Bear it'll knock em over within reasonable handgun distance.

Have killed scores of deer with a 44 and 41 mag. Find the widest meplat you can. Before i was commercially casting i used the 300 xtp with tremendous success. I now use a wfn or my 250 keith hollowpoint. All these plant em where they stand. It works nothing like rifle. Those wide nose bullets hit like a sledge hammer. I have never had to track a deer hit with a handgn.

I've shot quite a few deer with the the 44 mag round from both the lever gun and the revolver. It's one of my favorite rounds. XTP bullets are very accurate, but I'm not a fan of using them on game. Ive had to many bad experiences with them. The nosler 240 gr JHP is my go to bullet for deer. Very accurate, nice mushroom, great penetration, and affordable. It's expansion rate seems to be very consistent at various speeds and ranges. IMO, it's a very nice deer bullet. My freezer, my grill, my skillet, and my stomach agree.

I've shot quite a few deer with the the 44 mag round from both the lever gun and the revolver. It's one of my favorite rounds. XTP bullets are very accurate, but I'm not a fan of using them on game. Ive had to many bad experiences with them. The nosler 240 gr JHP is my go to bullet for deer. Very accurate, nice mushroom, great penetration, and affordable. It's expansion rate seems to be very consistent at various speeds and ranges. IMO, it's a very nice deer bullet. My freezer, my grill, my skillet, and my stomach agree.

Yep, I like the Nosler JHP bullet too. I've shot both deer and bear with that 300 grain bullet in a Ruger Super Redhawk.

I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect the Hornady XTP has killed more deer than any other HG bullet out there. I've used them in my 44 Dan Wesson and my Encore 209x50 and they have performed superbly on every deer I have taken and two elk. MV with my 44 was IIRC 1300fps and the Encore ML was 2018fps (killed two elk with this load) so the standard XTP is capable of handling a wide variation of velocities and still perform superbly.
IN a 44 magnum, you can likely do as good as an XTP but not likely better.

240 gr XTP. All I shoot. shot a few dozen deer with them. I find them a little hard for whitetail so I open them up a little on a drill press. 1350 fps 231 grains. Hollow point opens to 0.125" diameter and .200" depth.
This seems to knock them over fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.