338win mag brown bear

The thing with the 338 RUM is you don't HAVE to use all the speed that it can make. But, if you need it its available. You can load it down or load it hot. .
I've shot quite a few 300 gr bullets out of the Win mag. 2550 is the absolute MAXIMUM that I could get and I had around 100 fps variation shot to shot. Not good for long range trajectory.

Concur! But I'd add that very good bullet is also a prime requisite. Nosler PT is my preference. I'ven't shot many browns, just one 8'3" in the peninsular with a 30-06, griz in Yukon that got my guide Rick Furniss his silver buckle with a 270, and a Russian griz 8'10"with a 300win plus a NWT polar just over 9' with 300win. BTW I always hunt bear with guide. He can carry the cannon.:D
Sportmuaythai knows what he is talking about, I was there when he shot the huge book Yukon Grizzly with .270 130 grain Nosler Partition, 58 grains 4831. Sleeping, 150 yards, quartering to us, one shot in the base of the neck, bear never moved. As Sport says, it is all about bullet placement. He was backed up with .338 Win Mag, 210 gr. Nosler Partition 75 gr. 4831, but when you back up a man of Sport's caliber, no need to back-up. I only use Nosler Partitions, have for over 40 years, shot everything in North America with them, never had one fail, always perfect results. Still using bullet stock I bought when I was in University! The only thing that has changed is the price. I only use the 2 calibers & loads above. Keep it simple, know your rifle and load, shoot accurately, place it where it will kill or don't shoot. And I did get the silver belt buckle for the bear!

Sportmuaythai knows what he is talking about, I was there when he shot the huge book Yukon Grizzly with .270 130 grain Nosler Partition, 58 grains 4831. Sleeping, 150 yards, quartering to us, one shot in the base of the neck, bear never moved. As Sport says, it is all about bullet placement. He was backed up with .338 Win Mag, 210 gr. Nosler Partition 75 gr. 4831, but when you back up a man of Sport's caliber, no need to back-up. I only use Nosler Partitions, have for over 40 years, shot everything in North America with them, never had one fail, always perfect results. Still using bullet stock I bought when I was in University! The only thing that has changed is the price. I only use the 2 calibers & loads above. Keep it simple, know your rifle and load, shoot accurately, place it where it will kill or don't shoot. And I did get the silver belt buckle for the bear!
Hello Rick, how do you do?:)

Dad shot an 8.5' Grizz one shot, same one shot placement as SMT. Although it was at 30 yards from a canoe going for meat (moose that is), go figure. Shot placement is key, and as a guide; I will take marksmanship over caliber any day.

Reuben

Thanks for all the great info guys. You mentioned the 375 and 416. I was thinking about the 375 so I may get that and start practicing. Again thanks

BTW I hunted with Outfitter three times. First was a good moose with his guide. Then a very fine dall and the griz with the Outfitter himself. Highly recommended.

Thanks for all the great info guys. You mentioned the 375 and 416. I was thinking about the 375 so I may get that and start practicing. Again thanks

The 375 H&H is also a great caliber for the large bears! The 416 really has a kick to it, but may be more than you need. I shoot them both and like the 375 for the low recoil, it allows me to be more accurate. Just my two cents.

The 375 H&H is also a great caliber for the large bears! The 416 really has a kick to it, but may be more than you need. I shoot them both and like the 375 for the low recoil, it allows me to be more accurate. Just my two cents.

It is always interesting to read a post where a poster says " I like the 375 H and H for the low recoil". :) I know what you mean, but it was just kind of amusing.

It is always interesting to read a post where a poster says " I like the 375 H and H for the low recoil". :) I know what you mean, but it was just kind of amusing.

With the lower recoil, I can shoot the 375 much more accurately and the rifle still has plenty of punch to get the job done! Don't know if you have ever shot a 416 Rem mag, but it does have a sharp recoil. I don't use breaks on my dangerous game rifles, as it will trash the guides ears! They really appreciate it!

I am sure you are right about the 375 being lower recoil than the 416, I just have not worked up the confidence to use that large of caliber yet. (even though I would like to), but I am not so sure that it will happen with a rebuilt shoulder (from skiing, not shooting)

I am still down in the lower power rounds like 270 win in a stock from the box 700 ADL. I need to put a pad on it one of these days.

It is impressive to me that a 375 H and H can be fired by someone and considered "low recoil". That is what I meant. I have fired some larger rounds, but it was 35 years ago and I mostly remember being in awe as my buddy poured a ton of powder into the brass he had formed from some kind of straight wall pre-form. He said it was designed for elephant use, but he just used it to punch paper and collect. Wish he was still around.

The 375 is not low recoil, it's just a lot lower than my 416 mag. I am not recoil shy, but would rather shoot the rifle with the least recoil that has the punch needed for the game I am after at distance. If my 6mm Creedmoor or 260 would work for dangerous game, I would use those calibers. I really enjoy shooting them in tactical matches, they're just fun to shoot! However, when I hunt elk, it's the 7mm mag, or 338 Lapua, for ER. All my rifles except the DG rifles have muzzle breaks or suppressors, heavy recoil can make me sometimes develop flinching if I am not watching myself.

Dangerous game, cats it's the 375 H&H. The 416 mag I use for buffalo. No need for these unless you are going to Africa or Alaska.

I hope your shoulder heals up! The 270 is a great caliber, I hunted with a 280 for years and really liked it, was a good all around rifle for medium range.

I am thinking about buying a .338 win mag for a brown bear hunt and was wanting to see what you all thought about which brand of gun might be better?

Thanks

To the OP's question, I think the 338wm is an excellent cartridge for larger North American game. I've shot a lot of black bears with it and two grizzly. Good results, one shot kills, every time.

I would definitely use a premium bullet like a Barnes, Nosler Partition or Swift AFrame - I view as cheap insurance. I shoot 250grn and 275 grn Swift AFrames over 71 grns of H4831sc. I like the Swifts terminal performance although I've only recovered one bullet the wound channels have been large and consistent.

Now rifles are a subjective topic and with that caveat I'll offer my view. I think well of the Winchester Model 70 and the Ruger Hawkeye for new rifles. For second hand a Model 70 Classic would be excellent or one of the old Belgian FN Brownings if you could find one.

To the other discussion around stopping rifles... I've had good results with my 416 Rigby. While it has not yet taken a Grizzly it sure has leveled a couple of large black bears. I shoot 400grn Swift AFrames at about 2400fps in this rig. The recoil does take some getting used to but if you work past it the accuracy and terminal results are impressive.

I black bear hunt with at 35 whelen which I think is equal to a 338. I believe that my 35 whelen would do in a big brownie BUT if I had the chance to make a brownie trip I would purchase a 375 Ruger.

Its hard to make a bad choice with the middle 30's. 338 through 375 . .
I know this is the Long Range Hunting forum. But heavy and dangerous game should be taken up close. . The 338/06 will kill big brown bear but the 35 Whelan is a little better. The 338 Win mag has proven itself very well and the 375 H+H is the standard.
Find the rifle that you like the best in one of the mid cartridges and shoot the heck out of it. Get so you can run the gun without taking your eyes off the animal and spend lots of time walking uphill through the timber with your rifle in your hands.
Being a very good, reliable , quick shot with your bear rifle is what will put a good rug on your wall. And its fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.