338win mag brown bear

A good friend of mine has a model 71 in 450 Alaskan. I developed a load for it with a 350 gr flat nose Kodiak Bonded Core bullet going 2400 fps. It is one sweet, smooth bear rifle.
I'm not as crazy about lever bear rifles as some are but that is one I would really like to kill a bear with.

You're correct I typoed my last post should be 2600 for the 400 grainer. I will also try the 350 tsx as I am also a fan of Barnes bullets. I hope to have it all completed by October so I can bring it into the field with me. A 350 at 2900 shouldn't be too hard to get going and should dump them point blank and at long range. I am having trouble picking a stock for this cannon as I am partial to my mcmillan a-5 but it's a little bulky to be carrying in the field.

Reuben

The A5, is that the Sako Hunter style? I really like that stock design. I hope you are getting a 2 nd recoil lug under the barrel. It will seriously need it. Another good friend has a 416 Rem Mag that broke its McMillan stock because it only had the 1 action lug. Every 416 I've had that did not have a 2 nd recoil lug busted its stock. Taylor's and Rem Mags . Those that had a 2 nd lug did not. My last Rem mag was a sub 1" rifle built on a CZ550 action with a McGowan stainless custom contoured barrel. The 2 nd lug and rear sight island were integral. Even my 9.3x64 split its stock. Then I had the gunsmith fit a 2 nd recoil lug and bed it in, add cross bolts and its great now. Still a sub 1" rifle.

What action and barrel are u using? What break. The NF 1-4 is pretty long from the front of the power ring to the rear of the eye piece. . On bear rifles I like short lengths of pull and I always try to scope them so the back of the eye piece is no further back than the end of the cocking piece/ back of the fireing pin. That's the beauty of the fixed 2 1/2 x Leupold. .

The A-5 is a fully adjustable tactical stock great for riding bags, wearing a bipod and long range work. The action is a Montana 1999 LA with mag bolt face, ultra mag mag box and .377" recoil lug. Barrel will be either a target weight pacnor or #7 contour pacnor with a timed break and thread protector for the field. I will deffinately ask to see if I need another recoil lug installed.

Reuben

OK. Are u going with a quick twist or the standard 14" ?
I like the 10" twist.
Most gunsmiths ime don't like under barrel recoil lugs but all the manufacturers of heavy and dangerous game rifles do. The manufacturers don't want broke stocks especially where someone is depending on their rifle in a remote area.

I hunt mostly Moose, Deer and Black Bear, but I've had no problem taking down large Grizzly's in BC Canada and the Yukon Territory with my Browning A Bolt 2 Hunter in a .300 WSM! To me its the all round rifle, which I am confident in taking down any game in North America. Shot placement is much more important than using a canon in my opinion.

At 20' and 40 miles an hour, precise shot placement is a myth.

The 338 is a great hunters rifle. but for a guides rifle the needs are different
A 300 works as good as an 06 only 150 yards further away. The 338 with its wider generally heavier bullet tends to hold a bear down longer than any of the 30 s.

I have to agree with cold trigger, a large dangerous animal heading at u fast with bad intentions is hard to deal with. In fact the close shoot out I was in on was in a alder thicket at 13 yards. There were 3 bullets that went thru a tree as thick as my forearm then into the bear. That bear was NOT charging. We shot it before it could get under way at us.
When shooting said beast at close quarters, do you want a 25-06 or a 375+ gun???? A 25-06 will kill the bear with a good bullet in the nose, but the honest truth is, I don't shoot that well under pressure
At a distance a 300 is fine with good bullets. A guide usually is trying to manage a bad situation so needs a heavy rifle with good penetration so he can kill a bear coming or going.
This thread started about 338 win, I think they are a great overall hunting rifle and an adequate or better backup bear rifle. I have one and use it. (Not for brown bears) But I never look at those big boars on the ground and wish I had used a smaller rifle.

I never thot about it that way. But that's a real good point.

I wouldn't have any trouble killing a trophy bear with a 223 with a 53 gr. TSX. But. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone else. If I could only have 1 rifle for all hunting in Alaska, it would be a 416 .
But I've shot 416's a lot and I shoot them well.
First time I got charged by a brown bear I dumped it with a 416 Taylor 325 gr X bullet @2600 fps 1 shot at around 20 yards, chest shot = instant on the ground dead bear. No fancy spine shot needed like would have been necessary with a 30 Cal. Killed a bunch more since with 416s and the 458 .shooting bears with them is like being a sniper in a way. 1 shot, 1 kill.

I should avoid these bear threads. I always get riled up.

416 Taylor is a fine cartridge. A nice balance of power and shootability.
I know what u mean about the bear threads. ;)

As far as rifles are concerned take a look at Winchesters Extreme Weather Stainless. That Model 70 action is as slick as anything made and it comes in the calibers that you're interested in. I've never shot a brown bear but did use the 338 in Africa on large antelope around 800 pounds. It hits hard, definitely gets their attention.

I hunt mostly Moose, Deer and Black Bear, but I've had no problem taking down large Grizzly's in BC Canada and the Yukon Territory with my Browning A Bolt 2 Hunter in a .300 WSM! To me its the all round rifle, which I am confident in taking down any game in North America. Shot placement is much more important than using a canon in my opinion.
Concur! But I'd add that very good bullet is also a prime requisite. Nosler PT is my preference. I'ven't shot many browns, just one 8'3" in the peninsular with a 30-06, griz in Yukon that got my guide Rick Furniss his silver buckle with a 270, and a Russian griz 8'10"with a 300win plus a NWT polar just over 9' with 300win. BTW I always hunt bear with guide. He can carry the cannon.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.