Set and Forget Scope Recommendation

Bominiscious

I've been hunting with a bigger scopes the last few years. My last "simple" scope set up was an older VX-III 3.5-10x40 and it served me well for my eastern white to a hunting. Hi bought a VX5, 5 years ago and have added a Leica since then. Last year I killed two bucks during rifle season one was 80 yards and the other 70. The Leica (Amplus 6) , and VX5 and both are bigger with dialing capability.

I have a lightweight 308 that I want to scope. I'd like to set a max point blank range and be able to hunt from the tree stand to about 250 yards. I'm wondering what is the best glass for good resolution in deep timber and hardwood bottoms, with lowlight capability.

The market seems to be so big and flooded right now. Should I go with a Leupold VX3hd? Swarovski Z5? Something else?

I've been hunting with a bigger scopes the last few years. My last "simple" scope set up was an older VX-III 3.5-10x40 and it served me well for my eastern white to a hunting. Hi bought a VX5, 5 years ago and have added a Leica since then. Last year I killed two bucks during rifle season one was 80 yards and the other 70. The Leica (Amplus 6) , and VX5 and both are bigger with dialing capability.

I have a lightweight 308 that I want to scope. I'd like to set a max point blank range and be able to hunt from the tree stand to about 250 yards. I'm wondering what is the best glass for good resolution in deep timber and hardwood bottoms, with lowlight capability.

The market seems to be so big and flooded right now. Should I go with a Leupold VX3hd? Swarovski Z5? Something else?
I prefer a scope with illumination for dark timber hunting.

Feenix, appreciate that. Makes sense for sure. do you have one you'd recommend in this category? Definitely makes sense to go with an illuminated dot or center crosshair.
SFP or FFP? What magnification range? Reticle, weight, preference, etc.? You have plenty of choices depending on your budget. If you like the Leica Amplus, IIRC, they have an illuminated version.

I have a trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 with a triangle post reticle that provides about the brightest, easiest aiming point of any scope I've looked through. Illuminated by fiber optics and tritium so no need to worry about batteries, forgetting to turn it on or off. Check them out if you haven't seen them before. Rock solid dependable scopes too.

Zeiss victory V6 1.1x6 x24 IR, I use the much earlier Diavari 1.5x6 but were I to change it's what I'd buy. Field of view at lower powers is enormous and light gathering ability in woods, forests etc is great.
Obviously this is a subjective assessment but what isn't?
Over 5 years it's not expensive.
BTW I've never had a Leupold so I can't compare it.
FWIW mine is mounted on a Browning BLR 81 in 308 with 20" barrel.

Last edited:
I think a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 with a firedot reticle could suit you well. Capped turrets, lightweight, mid size objective, good glass and magnification for viewing details inside 250 yds in dark timber. Reasonably priced.
If Leupold has served you well in the past this will fit the bill nicely.

And I just so happen to have one I'm about to list for sale. 😁

I'll register another vote for the Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44. Like the OP, I've had excellent results with the Leupold 3.5-10 x 40 scopes. They are my current favorite on several rifles for eastern deer hunting. Size and light weight are not critical for tree stand hunting, and the Leupold line works very well in a set it and forget it situation. I always run the box test on mine to be sure that I can dial with confidence if needed .

Go to the Nightforce web site. After you find what meets your needs, then come back here to the "for sale" scopes. I have found several here. You just can't beat a Nightforce scope. If not found, put a "wanted" ad in it. Here, you can get an almost new one for a lot less than a new one.

You didn't state a budget, so...

Then give some us some feedback, because I have been foaming at the mouth for one of these...
I have the 4-16 version. The clarity and low light are awesome. In bright light it sometimes seems to wash out. But that's not the times of day that I've usually killed game. I would highly recommend. I like ffp scopes for everything and it was the only ffp with the clarity I was looking for. I have the p4f reticle in mine.

Recent Posts