338win mag brown bear

For brown costal bear the 338 Win would be smallest........most experienced hunters like the 375 HH or Ruger and the 416 Rem.

Mauser type action........Ruger or Win 70 CRF are very popular along with the Rem 700 or Sako

These are big bear and sometimes at close range

Last edited:
Just curious, Cold Fingers said he would rechamber a .338 WM into a 340 Weatherby Mag in a Model 70. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 340 is only 100-150 fps faster then the .338 WM?

I booked a hunt with Mike Munseys and I'll be shooting a .378 Weatherby Magnum (no muzzle break) with .270 gr TSX or 270 gr SAF or the 300 gr Nosler Partition. Depending which one groups the best. My back up rifle will be a .338 WM SS Model 70 CRF with 225 TSX.

Scratch

GO get 'em scratch. there is no such thing as a bear that is "too" dead, especially if they are trying to eat you. Shot placement is key, aim to break down the shoulders to prevent charge. The idea is to knock out all the shoulder bones to immobilize them. then if necessary put another shout or two through the engine room and collect the trophy.

GO get 'em scratch. there is no such thing as a bear that is "too" dead, especially if they are trying to eat you. Shot placement is key, aim to break down the shoulders to prevent charge. The idea is to knock out all the shoulder bones to immobilize them. then if necessary put another shout or two through the engine room and collect the trophy.

Great advise!

86alaska

Thanks for the tips, and suggestions. I agree 100% with you break down both shoulders and then a extra insurance shot or two won't hurt. :)

Capt. Academy

Where are you in NM? I grew up 30 miles south of Albuquerque and bought my first .378 Weatherby Mag from Charlie's Sporting Goods many moons ago. gun)

Thanks
Scratch

The older Sako finnbear were a top notch rifle especially in the Carbine Manlicher in 375 HH

Weatherby not very popular here ammo is kinda hard to come by.

Tika......not
Win 70 very good pick with the CRF action
Ruger Alaskan 375 Ruger very good

86alaska

Thanks for the tips, and suggestions. I agree 100% with you break down both shoulders and then a extra insurance shot or two won't hurt. :)

Capt. Academy

Where are you in NM? I grew up 30 miles south of Albuquerque and bought my first .378 Weatherby Mag from Charlie's Sporting Goods many moons ago. gun)

Thanks
Scratch

I am in ABQ, the far south Valley about 4 miles South of Rio Bravo. You must have grown up in the Belen area, which I know well. Do you still have family out this way?

I bought several Weatherbys from Charlies, from 270, 300, 30-378 and 338-378's, I really liked them, but have now switched to all custom builds.

I have a model 70 Winchester Safari chambered in .375 Wby. 300 gr, Swift A Frames at 2800+ It wears a Leopold 1x6.

The Winchester Safari is my favorite off the shelf rifle. I have a couple of pre-64's and the Safari is a much nicer rifle.

Ruger stainless with laminted stock with 250 gr nosler partitions is just fine .I lived in Alaska 12 years more rugers 77 stainless than any other gun .Mine shoots 3/4 inch at 200 yards with factory ammo !

If you are on a limited budget the ruger guide guns are great value. They just feel cheap and clunky to me. See if you can find a good used Dakota 97 Stainless Hunter or Outfitter. Or a Remington AWR

May I enquire where you get the load data to push 400gr pills to 2800fps in the 416 Ruger?
It's a 416-375 Rem Ultra Mag. I settled on a 400 A-frame at 2650 as it shoots 1/2 MOA when I do my part. For long range I load a 340 cutting edge bullet (bc of .780) to 3025. I can load the 400 grainier to over 2700 but the brass doesn't last as long as I'd like it to and with Rem brass non existent I need to preserve my stock.

Reuben

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.