Zeiss Do’s & Don’ts Memo

Long before any military organizations existed.

Stealth fieldcraft was taken by the military from hunters and frontiersmen, not the other way around.
How does that apply in this situation? The exact words used were no "Military Coloring/Camo". Do you really think they were referring to all military uniforms going back to the beginning of time? For instance, they can't post pictures that have red in them because the British soldiers used to wear red coats. Red was a military coloring up until 1885 after all. Also, in 11 countries many of which are in Africa, its illegal for non-military personnel to wear camo. Does that include hides and skins?

How does that apply in this situation? The exact words used were no "Military Coloring/Camo". Do you really think they were referring to all military uniforms going back to the beginning of time? For instance, they can't post pictures that have red in them because the British soldiers used to wear red coats. Red was a military coloring up until 1885 after all. Also, in 11 countries many of which are in Africa, its illegal for non-military personnel to wear camo. Does that include hides and skins?
Until fairly recently in history camo was not used as part of military uniforms. Widespread use of military camo didn't begin until the 1940's. When it did, they borrowed designs from hunters.

There's a whole lot of things worth getting upset over and frankly this isn't one of them. Hunting optics are a very small part of their business and they are just trying not to offend the majority of their customers who don't hunt or maybe even have a strong distaste for hunting and guns in general.

All we have to go on here to begin with is an unverified internet rumor making it's way around the forums, the company itself hasn't made any public pronouncements as to the veracity of the claim either way as far as I can tell.

Remember we're talking about a worldwide billion dollar company doing business on every continent on the planet. The world is much bigger than the small fraction of us who still hunt or even participate in sport shooting.

Until fairly recently in history camo was not used as part of military uniforms. Widespread use of military camo didn't begin until the 1940's. When it did, they borrowed designs from hunters.

There's a whole lot of things worth getting upset over and frankly this isn't one of them. Hunting optics are a very small part of their business and they are just trying not to offend the majority of their customers who don't hunt or maybe even have a strong distaste for hunting and guns in general.

All we have to go on here to begin with is an unverified internet rumor making it's way around the forums, the company itself hasn't made any public pronouncements as to the veracity of the claim either way as far as I can tell.

Remember we're talking about a worldwide billion dollar company doing business on every continent on the planet. The world is much bigger than the small fraction of us who still hunt or even participate in sport shooting.
I am aware that camo really was not widely used until WWII. It was used in WWI. As I pointed out before, its not just camo but coloring as well which if based on the history of military uniforms would ban most colors. We would be relegated to hunting in pastels. Point being is that I would highly suspect if the memo is true, they are talking about modern military coloring/camo patterns which would explain the camo which is being used in their current advertisements.

As for the rest of your statement, I agree completely. This will have no effect of whether I purchase their products or not.

I am aware that camo really was not widely used until WWII. It was used in WWI. As I pointed out before, its not just camo but coloring as well which if based on the history of military uniforms would ban most colors. We would be relegated to hunting in pastels. Point being is that I would highly suspect if the memo is true, they are talking about modern military coloring/camo patterns which would explain the camo which is being used in their current advertisements.

As for the rest of your statement, I agree completely. This will have no effect of whether I purchase their products or not.
You do realize that in much of the world it is unlawful to even possess military uniforms unless you are either active or a reservist don't you?

Even if I really wanted to this simply isn't something I could get upset over as I understand they have a much bigger customer base to worry about than hunters and especially hunters in the US.

They are not of course proposing that anything be banned in the US with respect to our industry/sport, if they were we'd have a whole lot to get upset over.

If they want to limit themselves to using camo produced specifically for hunting in their advertisements I not only don't fault them for that choice I applaud it since it also promotes those people producing camo for hunters and outdoorsman.

Seriously to me this is jut a big nothing even if the claims being made are 100% true of which I remain unconvinced.

You do realize that in much of the world it is unlawful to even possess military uniforms unless you are either active or a reservist don't you?

Even if I really wanted to this simply isn't something I could get upset over as I understand they have a much bigger customer base to worry about than hunters and especially hunters in the US.

They are not of course proposing that anything be banned in the US with respect to our industry/sport, if they were we'd have a whole lot to get upset over.

If they want to limit themselves to using camo produced specifically for hunting in their advertisements I not only don't fault them for that choice I applaud it since it also promotes those people producing camo for hunters and outdoorsman.

Seriously to me this is jut a big nothing even if the claims being made are 100% true of which I remain unconvinced.
I did mention above that in 11 countries, it is illegal for non military personal to have camo. I think we agree on pretty much everything in regards to the memo. There just seems to be a miscommunication on camo.

In the time it took me to shoot exactly 12 bullets at a range the other day, not one but 2 different groups for Tacticool Terrys showed up in Gravy Seal gear. I asked both groups if they'd like to go put up a target and the answer both times was "no". They each wasted $40 in ammo shooting at well I am not sure what and left. I could almost hear them looking down their noses at Fudd like me. I don't know where I'm going with all of this.

In the time it took me to shoot exactly 12 bullets at a range the other day, not one but 2 different groups for Tacticool Terrys showed up in Gravy Seal gear. I asked both groups if they'd like to go put up a target and the answer both times was "no". They each wasted $40 in ammo shooting at well I am not sure what and left. I could almost hear them looking down their noses at Fudd like me. I don't know where I'm going with all of this.

I hope your post gets 1000 likes…especially the part i put in bold.

I have helped a few guys get into shooting from work. Started them off with a bolt gun, now they all just shoot to shoot like you're talking about. I don't know where I went wrong smh lol. My buddy told me shooting 20 rounds in an hour is just too boring.

I have helped a few guys get into shooting from work. Started them off with a bolt gun, now they all just shoot to shoot like you're talking about. I don't know where I went wrong smh lol. My buddy told me shooting 20 rounds in an hour is just too boring.
20 rounds an hour can be exhilarating or make you mad enough to punch puppies if you are doing cold bore work at long range. Especially if your burning 134 grains of Retumbo each shot.

$40 worth of ammo? With today prices that's like 5 rounds each I'm not sure why that is an issue.