X-Caliber Barrels

Anyone with recent experience on X-caliber barrels? I am looking for a 6.5 prc Remage barrel. I noticed their having a sale for 25% off right now. I looked for reviews and a lot were good, but did see some negative reviews about the bores not being centered etc... Kinda of surprising they only offer a 1 MOA guarantee on a custom barrel, as i can get that from a factory Tikka!

I was also looking at Ragged Holes which does a remage with Wilson Arms barrels. They are basically the same price, so debating on which way to go.

FWIW-
I recently had one X-Caliber 30 cal 1-10" twist 6 groove "forced" on me from my former gunsmith. (search the forum for that mess)

Honestly after break in and very little load development its turned out to be a very good shooter.

However, break in was rough until I ran JB bore paste and 100+ strokes through it.

Now it has very consistent single digit SD on velocity and 1/2" groups no matter who shoots it. It also cleans very easily.

I am happy with my Bartline thinking of ordering another so I have it on hand when needed
Just ordered my second replacement BART line for my 338 from bug holes granted it was in stock but I got it in 24 hours absolutely unbelievable

Anyone with recent experience on X-caliber barrels? I am looking for a 6.5 prc Remage barrel. I noticed their having a sale for 25% off right now. I looked for reviews and a lot were good, but did see some negative reviews about the bores not being centered etc... Kinda of surprising they only offer a 1 MOA guarantee on a custom barrel, as i can get that from a factory Tikka!

I was also looking at Ragged Holes which does a remage with Wilson Arms barrels. They are basically the same price, so debating on which way to go.
I got an excaliber barrel blank sent to apache gunwerks for finishing. I have not taken the gun past 400 yards but it is a consistant sub .5MOA and typically .2MOA if im doing my part and using my reloads. The thing shoots .5MOA with every factory load ive tried so far. I could have been lucky but im a believer right now.

I have installed 2 X Caliber barrels on the AR10 platform so far,and they are extremely accurate,1/2 moa with all factory ammo thus far. Will be hand loading this winter.Both are in 260 Rem,1in8,5R. Both broke in,and stabilized velocity in 25 rounds.Both clean extremely easy. IMO, Patch Out is hands down the best bore cleaner out there. Another key to easy cleaning is to shoot your fouler on a oiled bore. Try it,it works!All my cleaning is backed up by a Hawkeye Bore Scope.

I ordered a 6BR barrel from them. Went back to order a 6.5CM barrel and it was about 4 hours before the sale was supposed to end but the prices had already changed back up on the site. I emailed them at that time to ask what happened. no response from them at all. tried again yesterday morning and nothing. will see if they do reply and guess I'll find out in a couple weeks if the barrel is any good.

I have these in X caliber

6 BRA-8T-30"
6 BRX-10T-28"
2-6 Dashers-8T-28"
6 XC-8T-31"
280 AI-#5 contour, 27", 9T

All of these barrels shoot very tiny groups, all clean up very easily, I have other barrels in Bartline, Krieger, Shilen, Hart, lilja, and Brux

I thought i would update this thread. I ended up getting an X-caliber barrel.

After many suggestions to talk with Crown Ridge Barrel Works I emailed asking many questions, then called on the phone to ask even more questions. I have had several very bad experiences with gun smiths in the past and it makes me leery. After talking with Anthony on the phone i decided to order up one of his barrels.

He didn't have exactly what i wanted in stock but had a blank, and spun it up to my specs in a couple days. Once i received it i had issues getting it on my action. Turns out the last gun smith that was suppose to true/chase the threads did not.... Talked with Anthony and he was more than happy to bend over backwards and help me out. I shipped him my action and he completely worked it over, trued it up, and fixed some nagging issues on it. He turned it around in less than a day for me!

I have been very excited to get the barrel on and shoot the gun. It all went on smoothly and this time everything fit like it should! I went out and shot it this morning siting in the scope. I only put a box of 20 threw the gun, and here is the result so far. The top right target is the last 3 rounds of the box. This is with factory Hornady ammo. I hope this trend continues. (the other groups i was just trying to see where i was at as i zero it. A couple random shots in there were the first shots I got on paper)

I owe Anthony at Crown Ridge Barrel Works huge thank you!!!! Not only did he fix an action I thought was going to be trashed, but he did so very quickly. Also I am very particular about quality work. His gun smithing and barrel work is second to none, and his customer service is even better!!!! I have seen barrels and gun smiths work from many different places. I would rank his with the best out there, truly impressive!

Attachments

• 20191119_091959_resized.jpg
    20191119_091959_resized.jpg
    987 KB · Views: 282
Washington, search crown ridge barrel works and his site will come up.

Only the in stock barrels are listed on his site. In my case he had blanks and spun up what i wanted, so if you don't see it shoot him a message.

I am having one of the 20 Caliber 3 groove X-Caliber barrels chambered currently. When it arrived at the Smith's shop last week he said it looked good. I am looking forward to getting the barrel back and installed on one of my Savage LRPV actions. I will report back with more details as soon as i can.

As with anything, you will get mixed reviews. I have 1:7" 5R on my 264 WM but have yet to shoot it.

Update: I finally had a chance for some range time a month or so ago.
.264 WM barrel break-in 1 of 3.jpg

Went through a couple of boxes of factory ammo during the barrel break-in process. Below is the @ 200 yards. I think it has potential.

.264 WM barrel break-in 3 of 3.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.