X-Caliber Barrels

GPR23

Anyone with recent experience on X-caliber barrels? I am looking for a 6.5 prc Remage barrel. I noticed their having a sale for 25% off right now. I looked for reviews and a lot were good, but did see some negative reviews about the bores not being centered etc... Kinda of surprising they only offer a 1 MOA guarantee on a custom barrel, as i can get that from a factory Tikka!

I was also looking at Ragged Holes which does a remage with Wilson Arms barrels. They are basically the same price, so debating on which way to go.

i have two right now that are tack drivers. one in 6.5 creedmoor, and 6.5 rsaum gap4s. check out crown ridge barrel works, i have built 5 rifles now with there xcaliber barrels, all have shot great. .170 to .325

Xcaliber is still a newer manufaturer in a field of very long lasting and great companies. I wouldn't put them down. As of late quite a few prs shooters have been giving them a go and the result has been great so far. Im sure itll only get better

You get what you pay for with barrels, any quality barrel manufacture has such a long wait list they will never run a sale!!
I have Wilson barrels that shoot just as good as my Kriegers... sometimes there are good deals out there when companies are just getting going. Machining equipment has advanced leaps and bounds in the last 10 years. What use to be tight tolerances are now very easily achieved

I've been through a lot of them, won't use them until I see consistent bores and twist rates. PRS is hardly a measure of quality!!

I have Wilson barrels that shoot just as good as my Kriegers... sometimes there are good deals out there when companies are just getting going. Machining equipment has advanced leaps and bounds in the last 10 years. What use to be tight tolerances are now very easily achieved

You won't leave their shop impressed by the machines!!

I like how they machine. They dial in fine on the lathe. They shoot very well. They aren't $350 for a blank :)
To each their own. I've built and shot most brands and love Krieger for business dealings in the past. They will always have my respect and thanks due to a charity event we did together. Long story.

PRS is hardly a measure of quality!!

This might be the next shirt I design! LOL

I've had good and bad barrels from them. They seem to have their 6 and 6.5mm barrels dialed in pretty well but some of the other bores are a bit more erratic.

I'd think of them like a premium factory barrel. They can shoot extremely well (I have a 7 SAUM which does) but they foul up pretty bad.

Yorke,
When you say erratic, did you do measurements?
When you say they foul up pretty bad, what round count are you referring to? Carbon, copper or both?
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.