Who's tracking you?

After seeing several YouTube blips about gps trackers being installed on newer cars and trucks I thought I'd look under my dash on my ram and found a gps tracker . I've had issues with dead batteries on hunts from not starting the truck for several days and it explains it. But the dealership is saying there not installing them. So who is? It's definitely after the truck is built as it's tapped into the obd2 wires .
Your X Wife????

That "swat3e" tracking device is similar to a lojack recovery system-- it's definitely aftermarket/dealer installed--- it may have been an option you decided not to accept the subscription to or it may be due to financing company contract compliance terms you may not have read the fine print on--- but it's a "theft recovery tracking device/company"--- you can Google their tracking systems and read about them --- they supposedly are "government grade"

Some dealerships put them on all their vehicles "free of charge "-- ( yea right)--- to prevent new car sales lot thefts and also to decrease insurance fees for theft and lease/loan non-payment

It's a 18 ram mega cab possibility maybe . But I don't think so it's got a ton of add on stuff that fleet or rental stuff wouldn't usually . It's very well optioned and they usually are not.
Aftermarket for sure -- manufacture of the swat3e is 179th day of 2019 -- which was after the truck was made and after it was sold at a dealer. My guess is prior owner installed it for some reason ( it's similar to a lojack device/subscription)

Last edited:
New technology is allowing the car insurance companies to keep an eye on how you speed. YIKES!

According to my cousin who is an Allstate rep, virtually all auto insurance companies are moving in the direction of basing rates on digital info provided by your car. If you allow this monitoring, you can save or lose money depending upon how you drive. In addition to your milage, it will monitor if you exceed the speed limits, accelerate rapidly, slam on the brakes or do anything else that indicates that you are not driving like a nun.

According to my cousin who is an Allstate rep, virtually all auto insurance companies are moving in the direction of basing rates on digital info provided by your car. If you allow this monitoring, you can save or lose money depending upon how you drive. In addition to your milage, it will monitor if you exceed the speed limits, accelerate rapidly, slam on the brakes or do anything else that indicates that you are not driving like a nun.
There is a part of me that likes the idea of people that regularly break traffic laws paying more than me for insurance. I have to admit, having gotten multiple tickets and outrunning LE twice in my younger years, I now drive like a nun. I haven't had a speeding ticket in nearly 20 years and never been in an accident. There's something about being a first responder and cleaning up the carnage that makes me lose the desire to drive aggressively.

Then I'm screwed!!! I drive my truck like I stole it . Don't use turn signals as once there on people usually just block you so you can't .

There is a part of me that likes the idea of people that regularly break traffic laws paying more than me for insurance. I have to admit, having gotten multiple tickets and outrunning LE twice in my younger years, I now drive like a nun. I haven't had a speeding ticket in nearly 20 years and never been in an accident. There's something about being a first responder and cleaning up the carnage that makes me lose the desire to drive aggressively.

I'm on major highways every week. I find that it is actually dangerous to drive the speed limit when virtually everyone, in every lane, is blasting past/around you. I haven't gotten a ticket in 40years and have had no accidents since I was a teenager, but I do exceed the speed limit occasionally. Hard starts and stops are just part of driving, but they will be used against you by the insurance companies if it's documented.

My cousin told me to NOT accept the monitored driving plan unless I drive like a "nun".

I do not have a contract with "All Star" but the equipment is in my Tahoe. Every month I get a full diagnostic report on the vehicle, including the tire pressure in each wheel. I'm guessing that they know a lot more about how I drive than they'll ever let on to. It's true, "Big Brother Is Watching You".

Our company fleet has them installed, I watched the Verizon guy install it thru a little panel by the drivers door AC vent and put a zip tie around it. Just like yours it taps in to the OBD plug and it kills the battery if you let it sit for a week.