Ouch this gun hurts! Opinions??

There is a reason the 7 mag ,300 win mag and now the 7 prc have been so popular. Excellent ballistics and manageable recoil. If you look at the F class nationals 8 of the top ten were shooting 180 7mm berger. Excellent ballistics and manageable recoil.

When hunting with a brake do you all use hearing protection?
My style I'd never have time.
My ears are bad enough now I almost refuse to shoot without hearing protection. I'm trying my best to save it for when I'm older. I will shoot at ducks and geese occasionally without anything, but shotguns aren't nearly as loud.

Totally disagree with your opinion.
If a person is completely accustomed to shooting big recoiling rifles, then they shoot them just as accurately as their smaller counterparts.
Making broad assumptions helps nobody. I shoot the same size groups with my 25-06 as I do with my 300RUM, 375 Weatherby & 416 Rigby, and I don't have brakes on any of them but my wildcats on 416 Rigby Improved to tame muzzle jump, not necessarily recoil…
More folklore bandied about because someone said it once…

Cheers.

No broad assumptions, basic physics.

When you say you shoot a 375 weatherby as well as a modest cartridge, is that prone? From bench?

I'd love you see you do a Kraft drill or Carl Ross's positional hunting drill https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../printthread/Board/29/main/643918/type/thread with a 375 Weatherby and shoot it as well as you would with a 6mm of similar precision potential.

When you say you shoot a 375 weatherby as well as a modest cartridge, is that prone? From bench?

I'd love you see you do a Kraft drill or Carl Ross's positional hunting drill https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../printthread/Board/29/main/643918/type/thread with a 375 Weatherby and shoot it as well as you would with a 6mm of similar precision potential.

I think that could shoot that with my 9 pound .375 AI, but…..I may not stay within the required moa. Shooting from sitting would be my downfall…..just was too stiff to get into a comfortable, locked-in position. The second round would also be a pretty tough round!

What was the average score?

I completed in a few of the original "poatal" (I think that's the way it was spelled back then)……I did OK. They were a lot of fun! memtb

Last edited:

My simple question to you is, do you hunt off a bench? Do you shoot and practice off-hand shooting on moving targets?
Apart from F-class, I also compete in Big Game Rifle Club comp, rules state 375 is minimum, MUST HAVE 5,000ft/lbs at muzzle to qualify, big bore starts at 45 cal, but we changed the rules to accommodate smaller calibres.
A 6mm doesn't even come into the picture, and yes, I shoot prone, off-hand, from a bi-pod and even prone from my truck or standing in the tray…anything else you want to know.
You can quote physics all you like, experience trumps physics in regard to recoil, the bigger the recoil you are accustomed to, like 500 Nitro, 505 Gibbs or 600OK make most magnums, including the 375 Weatherby, feel like your 6mm…

Cheers.

My simple question to you is, do you hunt off a bench? Do you shoot and practice off-hand shooting on moving targets?
No and that's my point. Fundamentals get compromised in actual field shooting conditions. More recoil exploits them.
Apart from F-class, I also compete in Big Game Rifle Club comp, rules state 375 is minimum, MUST HAVE 5,000ft/lbs at muzzle to qualify, big bore starts at 45 cal, but we changed the rules to accommodate smaller calibres.
A 6mm doesn't even come into the picture, and yes, I shoot prone, off-hand, from a bi-pod and even prone from my truck or standing in the tray…anything else you want to know.
You can quote physics all you like, experience trumps physics in regard to recoil, the bigger the recoil you are accustomed to, like 500 Nitro, 505 Gibbs or 600OK make most magnums, including the 375 Weatherby, feel like your 6mm…

Cheers.
Cool, you're so good that you're immune to physics. I compliment your exemplary marksmanship skills.
I think that could shoot that with my 9 pound .375 AI, but…..I may not stay within the required moa. Shooting from sitting would be my downfall…..just was too stiff to get into a comfortable, locked-in position. The second round would also be a pretty tough round!

What was the average score?

I completed in a few of the original "poatal" (I think that's the way it was spelled back then)……I did OK. They were a lot of fun! memtb
I'm not sure what "average" is. I've seen the Kraft Drill avg report as being 3+ MOA but haven't tracked down actual. Just know that I'm not shooting as tight with a magnum hunting rifle on it. I've done more of the modified Carl Ross drill with 20 Second par times vs 15 as outlined in the rokslide thread "equipment vs Practice posts". 10-15 seems like a pretty common score from people who actually report their score on the internet. I'd venture to guess actual avg for hunters score would be much lower.