Ouch this gun hurts! Opinions??

If everyone could shoot a large magnum as well as a smaller caliber cartridge I highly doubt we would see so many competition shooters develop cartridges in the 6 mm and 7mm. I'm not seeing prs shooters using 458 lotts and 460 weatherby rifles. Might just be a reason for that?

So I have a Vanguard in .300 WBY. Took it to the range today to get it ready for an elk hunt next year and let me tell you what. She HURTS!! 5 shots and I said that's enough. So looking for options. What can I do to this gun to make the recoil less? Should I just sell and buy an easier on the shoulder elk gun? What do you guys think?
I have recommended this to others. I have a 300 win mag. I upgraded paddle stock to a Boyd's At-one stock. Very well made and has a great adjustable chin rest. You can also get a thicker pad for shoulder.

If everyone could shoot a large magnum as well as a smaller caliber cartridge I highly doubt we would see so many competition shooters develop cartridges in the 6 mm and 7mm. I'm not seeing prs shooters using 458 lotts and 460 weatherby rifles. Might just be a reason for that?

Well…….obviously, not everyone can! 😉 But, enough people can shoot,in a hunting scenario, quite well. Comparing one one or two shots in a hunting situation is far different than many rounds fired from a bench.

"Apples and Oranges"! memtb

Last edited:
Very true. That was my point I was trying to make I guess.
Just because you can shoot a magnum accurately with 3 shots doesn't mean you are going to be just as accurate after 15 rounds compared to a 6.5 creedmoor. Everything has its intended purpose.
For some body to state the fact I'm just as accurate with a 416 Rigby as a 25-06 maybe true up to a certain point but recoil effects everyone unless their supernatural.

Very true. That was my point I was trying to make I guess.
Just because you can shoot a magnum accurately with 3 shots doesn't mean you are going to be just as accurate after 15 rounds compared to a 6.5 creedmoor. Everything has its intended purpose.
For some body to state the fact I'm just as accurate with a 416 Rigby as a 25-06 maybe true up to a certain point but recoil effects everyone unless their supernatural.

"IF" we're only talking 15 rounds, I think that I'm still "golden"…..even from a bench. Though, as I'm gett'n soft in my old age…..15 rounds would be pushing my comfort level now!

Of course, I'm not certain as to the recoil of a .416 Rigby as compared to my rifle. My rifle recoil tops-out at a "piddly" 58/59 ft.lbs. memtb

HAVE HUNTED WITH A 300 WBY, also have used my 280 Rem, 30-378 Wby, 338 Win & Lapua along with 300 Win. I practice with a brake but hunt without the brake, difference between hunting and practice, hunting one only needs ONE round- BULLER PLACEMENT is the name of the game.

That's way too much gun for practical hunting. Get a 30-06 or a 308 if you gotta have a .30. For 500 and in I'd just use my 6.5 creedmoor. I know, I know 😆. Ultralight weight at under 8 lbs suppressed, manageable recoil. Plenty of umphh to kill and elk at 500 yards easily. Remember, shot placement is key along with bullet design to get good reliable expansion. Less recoils never hurts accuracy.

A few years ago I watched two cops shoot 19 times to fill the 3 elk tags they carried and the distance was 225 yds. All the elk were standing still and hunters were using the hood of their jeep as rests. Both carried weatherby caliber rifles - one I know was a 300. Terrible example of shooting skills.

I've observed this comment, "too much gun", several (OK many) times. Often closely associated with the statement……"overkill"!

I'd really like to see an articulate, unemotional, fact based definition of….."too much gun"! If the firearm/cartridge described as such, can be relatively comfortably carried and can be fired from the hunter's shoulder without debilitating injuries to the hunter/shooter and the said game animal can be recovered and be considered as consumable "table fare"……I respectfully contend that it wasn't "too much gun"! 😂 😉memtb

"Too little gun" or "under-kill"…..could likely be a more accurate comment/statement in many hunting scenarios!

A few years ago I watched two cops shoot 19 times to fill the 3 elk tags they carried and the distance was 225 yds. All the elk were standing still and hunters were using the hood of their jeep as rests. Both carried weatherby caliber rifles - one I know was a 300. Terrible example of shooting skills.

Undoubtedly……terrible shooting skills! But, their skills would likely not be any better with a rifle/cartridge (though it was a Weatherby 😂) of any other make or cartridge. Many people get emotionally destabilized when shooting at game…..especially elk! memtb

Would a Carl Gustaf 20mm recoilless rifle be considered too much gun if I just haul it around with the ATV? 😀 I believe it has a muzzle brake also

Would a Carl Gustaf 20mm recoilless rifle be considered too much gun if I just haul it around with the ATV? 😀 I believe it has a muzzle brake also

Close but "no ceegar"! 😜 Hauling it around in a vehicle is cheating , plus the muzzle brake alone "should" automatically disqualify it as a hunting rifle! 😂 😉 memtb