Ouch this gun hurts! Opinions??

MachV, I killed my first elk and many after that with a 30-06 180 gr Partitions.I changed the stock as it kicked pretty hard even for a fit young man.
Got a Browns precision stock and bedded the stock with pillars and it shot much better.
A quality fitting stock can make a HUGE difference.
Mark makes a great stock, I have a few of them on my rifles!!!

How light is too light……assuming it's not breaked? 8.5 to 9 pounds "all up" should be very tolerable for most rifleman. Though, that in a hunting rifle, not a rifle for lots of bench shooting! More than 20 or 30 rounds in an afternoon may be more than enjoyable! memtb

Any rifle I'd carry around the mountains is too light for me to want it chambered in a 300 wby style cartridge. I have a 300 WM havak with an area 419 brake that is plenty manageable but about as heavy as id like to carry and the brake is obnoxious. I just don't see the utility in it when I believe anything i'm after can be effectively killed with half the recoil and without a brake.

I put 6 or 7 stout 200 ELDx loads down my bare muzzle factory 8# 300 wsm as fast as I could accurately shoot a couple months ago to validate the "pencil barrels walk when hot" is not a thing with that rifle like many others where people like to blame that for their groups getting bigger with more shots. It quickly reminded me how violent magnum 30s are in lightweight rifles because I don't shoot my magnums much anymore. Its relegated to backup duty now.

I don't know anything about the Vanguard series of rifles, but what type of recoil pad, what does the rifle weigh, and if shooting from the bench….are you sitting straight up or nearly so. A good deal of lean into the rifle can/will increase "felt" recoil.

And, does the rifle fit you properly? The length of pull can affect "felt" recoil. If the stock has been cut to better fit you…..was the stock angle at the butt altered? If so, that can affect felt recoil……usually, not for the better.

The 300 Weatherby while having a bit of recoil……shouldn't be as bad as you describe!

Addendum: A properly fitting rifle with a good recoil pad will help a lot. Also, when shooting from the bench, a PAST Recoil Shield or similar will help a great deal.

Personally speaking, I'd avoid the brake on a hunting rifle……but, that's just me!

So I have a Vanguard in .300 WBY. Took it to the range today to get it ready for an elk hunt next year and let me tell you what. She HURTS!! 5 shots and I said that's enough. So looking for options. What can I do to this gun to make the recoil less? Should I just sell and buy an easier on the shoulder elk gun? What do you guys think?
I agree with what others have stated, as I have gotten older with neck, shoulder injuries along the way. Have found rifle fitment, a good brake, good recoil pad, cheek riser etc really make a difference. Was a one caliber, one rifle guy for years, now older have multiple caliber rifles. For elk 280 AI if you will shoot brake less. I believe Weatherby has that caliber in the vanguard. For elk, I Let my daughter use one of my 6.5 creedmoors, but will let her use the 7mm PRC this year if she feels comfortable shooting it. Good luck and have fun.

Mark makes a great stock, I have a few of them on my rifles!!!
Mine was bought in the 1980s's I think and it don't have the aluminum shaft in the stock.
The only one I shot with the aluminum shaft in the stock kicked like a mule!It seemed to be worse than the stock I was taking off so I sold it.
Dose your stocks have the aluminum shaft built into the stock?

Any rifle I'd carry around the mountains is too light for me to want it chambered in a 300 wby style cartridge. I have a 300 WM havak with an area 419 brake that is plenty manageable but about as heavy as id like to carry and the brake is obnoxious. I just don't see the utility in it when I believe anything i'm after can be effectively killed with half the recoil and without a brake.

I put 6 or 7 stout 200 ELDx loads down my bare muzzle factory 8# 300 wsm as fast as I could accurately shoot a couple months ago to validate the "pencil barrels walk when hot" is not a thing with that rifle like many others where people like to blame that for their groups getting bigger with more shots. It quickly reminded me how violent magnum 30s are in lightweight rifles because I don't shoot my magnums much anymore. Its relegated to backup duty now.

OK, so the question remains…..what do you consider "light"? Inquiring minds!🙂

I absolutely agree with the "pencil" barrels, they're not designed for rapid fire……but, they are nice for carry! 😉 memtb

OK, so the question remains…..what do you consider "light"? Inquiring minds!🙂
Any reasonable sporter config. 9# or so and under scoped i 'spose.

I absolutely agree with the "pencil" barrels, they're not designed for rapid fire……but, they are nice for carry! 😉 memtb

My point was I disagree that good sporter barrels walk or significantly open up just because they get a little hot. IMO a lot of the cases of sporter barrels "needing to be cool" is a farce and is an excuse for groups growing in size with more rounds.

No way i'd want a 300 wby in a lightweight rifle.
Weatherby Backcountry Ti in 300 Weatherby
5.6 pounds before scope

With their 3D recoil pad and the included brake that rifle is easy to shoot.
I've spent a lot of time with my Dad's and he shot it again 3d ago.

Weight isn't the only factor in recoil perception.

No way i'd want a 300 wby in a lightweight rifle.
How 'bout 8 3/4lb 416 Rigby, 458WM, 458Lott, 450 Rigby or 404 Jeffrey? All the CZ550 Safari Magnums weigh this much unloaded, even the 505 Gibbs was only a 1/4lb heavier, and yes, I had them all.
Recoil is relative to me, shoot enough true big bores and all these others seem like nothing. The fastest recoil I have ever experienced is the above 505 Gibbs running 600g bullets at 2500fps, foolishly I upped the anti trying to see if the magical 2600fps I had heard was doable. I'm sure it was as I could easily fit more powder, but that 9lb rifle was just too light to handle that recoil.

Cheers.

300 Ultra…no brake on that one. I'm just a little guy...just saying

View attachment 599159View attachment 599160

I have an yet "unproven" theory about felt recoil and body size. 🙂

My thought is…….a smaller framed, lighter person "will not" absorb as much recoil energy before his/her body starts to move with the recoil. A much larger person will absorb much more energy before his body starts to move.

I'm probably wrong about that theory, but it gives me a certain comfort to believe that! 😜 memtb

I have an yet "unproven" theory about felt recoil and body size. 🙂

My thought is…….a smaller framed, lighter person "will not" absorb as much recoil energy before his/her body starts to move with the recoil. A much larger person will absorb much more energy before his body starts to move.

I'm probably wrong about that theory, but it gives me a certain comfort to believe that! 😜 memtb
I truly believe this too, have seen a petite lady that would weigh 100lbs wringing wet shoot my 458 Lott with nary a concern and said "don't know what all the fuss is about with you gentlemen?"

Cheers.

Yeah it's all relative. 100# child/female may not have the same peak force on their shoulder as a 300# man whose body resists the sharp movement more but the rest of them is being jerked back faster. My point is there is no reason for it. None of the big magnums are required to cleanly kill anything and nobody shoots them better than a lesser recoiling rifle of equal precision.

I really don't understand why anyone would fire any firearm without hearing protection. When hunting the rifle is just as loud and damage can happen.

Why not use modern electric hearing protection to enhance hearing and protection?

If you know a good gunsmith, consider this. It is amazing. I have it in a 300 Norm Mag, and it works.

Attachments

• IMG_5513.jpeg
    IMG_5513.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 16
Everything has its pros and cons lighter rifle easier to pack around but harder to shoot accurately at distance and the bigger the cartridge the more difficult. Heavy rifle harder it will be to pack but the easier it will be to shoot accurately at distance with bigger cartridges. I think most people choose too large of a caliber for hunting elk especially if they have never been elk hunting. Most factory magnum rifles will have 26" barrels and weight 8 - 9 lbs with out scope,rings , sling, ammo.
For some one hunting out of the truck or atv. This really won't be that big of a deal.
For some one coming out west that lives at sea level and planning a Backcountry elk hunt it's going to cause nothing but pain.
The old saying goes oz=lbs and lbs= pain.
I don't care how strong and tuff someone is weight will determine how far and fast they can go.