Ouch this gun hurts! Opinions??

The first time I shot a 300 Wby I had just shot a 30/378 so it didn't seem bad lol. A buddy had drug out some of his dads guns and was trying them out getting ready for an elk hunt. He wound up taking the 300 and a Kimber in 7 wsm. After packing the 300 one day he wound up using the Kimber.

The first time I shot a 300 Wby I had just shot a 30/378 so it didn't seem bad lol. A buddy had drug out some of his dads guns and was trying them out getting ready for an elk hunt. He wound up taking the 300 and a Kimber in 7 wsm. After packing the 300 one day he wound up using the Kimber.

I'm assuming that the 300 was heavy……heavy rifles are not fun to elk hunt with, unless you are very physically fit. memtb

So I have a Vanguard in .300 WBY. Took it to the range today to get it ready for an elk hunt next year and let me tell you what. She HURTS!! 5 shots and I said that's enough. So looking for options. What can I do to this gun to make the recoil less? Should I just sell and buy an easier on the shoulder elk gun? What do you guys think?
I went through the exact same problem.Folks here on our site mentioned getting the recoil pad replaced with a Limb Saver recoil pad.
Got one and it made a world of difference.No mkore sore shoulder.

Word of caution about limb saver recoiled pads, they haven't held up well for me, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the 2 I had began to break down after 5 or 6 years, just a few weeks ago I dug out my 416, been sitting in a house safe untouched for about 4 years, it was stuck to the carpet and is sticky gooey to the touch, I believe if I were to shoot it that ***** going to ruin whatever shirt im wearing.

I've had the same experience. I now put a piece of wax paper between the Limbsaver and the carpeted safe floor.
Limbsavers work great but they do degrade with time and/or use. They need to be replaced at some point.

I've had the same experience. I now put a piece of wax paper between the Limbsaver and the carpeted safe floor.
Limbsavers work great but they do degrade with time and/or use. They need to be replaced at some point.
Have used Limbsaver for many years and have seen the material degrading issue, but that was years ago. I have others that are now pretty old and have not degraded at all. Believe they have had a new formulation for a long time now.

So I have a Vanguard in .300 WBY. Took it to the range today to get it ready for an elk hunt next year and let me tell you what. She HURTS!! 5 shots and I said that's enough. So looking for options. What can I do to this gun to make the recoil less? Should I just sell and buy an easier on the shoulder elk gun? What do you guys think?
Thread it and add a good muzzle brake. My dad's 300 weatherby Vanguard was a beast too. Axisworks threaded it and put a nice 3 port directional brake on it and it is very tame now.

Have used Limbsaver for many years and have seen the material degrading issue, but that was years ago. I have others that are now pretty old and have not degraded at all. Believe they have had a new formulation for a long time now.

You could be right about that. It takes a long time for them to degrade, and I have replaced a number of them. I have more that don't look great but still do the job. I can't say how the newer ones are yet.

I have heard about guys who actually returned their old Limbsavers and gotten new ones for free. I haven't tried that yet. I took the good with the bad on the Limbsavers.

Many years ago (I was a young teenager) while shooting at a shooting range two guys came in to sight in their rifles, they were headed to Africa a weeks later…
Anyways both rifles/scopes were identical in every way only one was a 300 win mag and the other a 338 win mag.
They asked if we were interested in shooting them and of course we said yes.
Let me tell ya, I'd much rather shoot the 338 win mag over the 300 any day, it was more of a giant push rather than a snappy slap on the shoulder.
Totally same rifle different recoil.

Thanks for all the responses. Y I like this forum so much. I have a suppressor. Just need to get the barrel threaded
Brake and a Pachmayer or Limbsaver recoil pad will help. I've used E.S.P. ear protection since my first braked rifle (Wby Accumark in 300 Wby). Put em in, forget about them.
You won't lose your man card if you wear ear protection. Your ears will thank you.

I am shooting the Barnes TTSX 180g bullets. Guns not liking them too much at 200yards. What's a recommended for factory bullet for the guys with vanguards? Elk hunting

I am shooting the Barnes TTSX 180g bullets. Guns not liking them too much at 200yards. What's a recommended for factory bullet for the guys with vanguards? Elk hunting
I have had great luck with Nosler Accubond bullets.
They shoot well in my rifles, vanguards as well as others and they have killed very well.

Try a box of 168 TTSX before giving up on Barnes bullets. they work well out of my 300 WSM at about 3150 FPS. You will get well over 3250 from your Weatherby.