Ouch this gun hurts! Opinions??

The worst recoiling rifle I ever had was a Weatherby Vangaurd in 7 mag, this was over 10 years ago (maybe 15-20, I cannot recall) before they pulled out the accurate ones and charged more for them. It had no muzzle brake and needed one but it was under 1 moa.

Consider sending it off to Magna Port - it would make a world of difference.

Put a good recoil pad on it if it doesn't have one. I have had a couple of limbsavers that made a big difference. Adding a brake is an option too - but they are loud! I was shooting my braked 300 prc today and 2 gents from the next range came to ask me what I was shooting because it was so loud…

I double ear protection at the range and use hearing protection while hunting. Consider a suppressor if legal where you are, but a 300 Wby is a heavy recoiling cartridge.
My brother has the same gun and we have him set up with a Silencer Co Harvester and kept the length at 24"

He says it helped the recoil. It's a devastating cartridge and IMO one of the best big 30 cals you can have.

Personally I like my 28 Nosler for long range power and flat shooting without nearly the recoil of a 30 cal.

I wear electronic hearing protection while hunting unless I'm shooting suppressed, I use either Walkers Razor Muffs or ISOtunes Sport ear buds. I hunt a lot with specialty pistols and they are loud to begin with, add a brake and they are really loud! Sometimes I use the muffs and earbuds both. At the range I wear the muffs and foam plugs, even shooting suppressed. You only get 2 ears, I only have one left, I wish I had known about hearing protection in my youth.
This^^. Shooting a braked rifle without ear protection may not bother you but when you get my age and have constant tinnitus and hearing loss you will regret it. They make awesome in ear hearing protection that allows you to hear and cuts out at 85 DB. I use the axil brand but there are plenty others.

So I have a Vanguard in .300 WBY. Took it to the range today to get it ready for an elk hunt next year and let me tell you what. She HURTS!! 5 shots and I said that's enough. So looking for options. What can I do to this gun to make the recoil less? Should I just sell and buy an easier on the shoulder elk gun? What do you guys think?
I have bought 3 for my son's and currently own two for myself...put a limbsaver AIRTECH pad on it and never worry about it again!

Absolutely never shoot a braked gun without hearing protection. One shot will damage your hearing, no joke.

I wear the ones with the foam plugs on a plastic band around my neck. I can toss them on super quick. And they work well.
In a similar vein, give a thought to the other folks who might be shooting with you at the range. Personally, it's not so much the noise that ended some of my range sessions earlier than I'd planned due to a braked gun being shot close by, it was the concussion.

That Weatherby Vanguard rifle is just a beast to shoot. I had a 7 RM and it would slide me back on the seat and I am a pretty big ol boy. I didn't own it long. Didn't shoot too bad though.
I can't imagine a 300 WBY!!!!!!!

A note, that the 300 Wby has ~20% more recoil energy and a faster recoil velocity than the 300 win mag, which has stout recoil itself. I shot a 7 RM for years before deciding to get a 6.5 PRC for deer and smaller and a 300 PRC for elk/moose and larger. The 7 RM has ~ 40% less recoil than a 300 Wby and is plenty for elk. A 7 PRC may have been a better choice for me, but I do believe 30 cal magnums are better for elk if you can learn to shoot them well.

A 300 Wby has more recoil than a lot of shooters can handle. If you hand load, you may be able to work up an accurate load with less recoil if a muzzle brake, recoil pad and/or adding weight to the rifle doesn't help. You WILL have to rezero when you take the muzzlebrake off before hunting season.

Check out https://chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm for some quantified recoil amounts. The Backfire table is also good.
Chuck's tables don't make much sense.
The 150gr bullet in the 300 Wby is nominally more recoil than in the 300 Win, yet the 180 is much more, despite the alleged same weight rifle.

Again, with a brake or suppressor you won't care.

Consider sending it off to Magna Port - it would make a world of difference.
I have two MagNaPorted rifles, one being a 340 Wby. They were purchased this way, not done by me.
In my experience, they get rid of muzzle rise, but the recoil goes straight back.
I'd much rather have a brake or suppressor.

Ok last response from me as you got a lot of advice to go over.
I have my 6.5x300 weatherby and it's an incredible rifle I put a SRS TiPro4 on her and it's a 6cm at worst.
I just recently purchased a 338-378 weatherby and put a SRS TiPro5 on her and it's maybe a 7-08 with lite loads of 200 sp at 3100 fps. I can't believe there is that much power in my hands and recoil is not even a concern.

SRS TiPro5 or 4 weighs nothing but incredibly effective.

Best of luck

Just to give you one experienced shooter's view point….maybe others can agree or disagree.

I find cartridges table rated at ___
10 - 15lbs of energy to have little recoil
15-20 …I'd like a good recoil pad
20-25 ….id like a good brake
25-30 ….need both and a little heavier rifle
Over 30….do I even need this

….and yes, I'm not a whimp. I own a 458 lott. I shoot it. It is never shot from the bench. It is a 0-50 yd stopper, shot standing up. It kicks hard, even with reduced recoil 350gr or 400gr loads. That said, for its purpose, the recoil is required!

Just to give you one experienced shooter's view point….maybe others can agree or disagree.

I find cartridges table rated at ___
10 - 15lbs of energy to have little recoil
15-20 …I'd like a good recoil pad
20-25 ….id like a good brake
25-30 ….need both and a little heavier rifle
Over 30….do I even need this

….and yes, I'm not a whimp. I own a 458 lott. I shoot it. It is never shot from the bench. It is a 0-50 yd stopper, shot standing up. It kicks hard, even with reduced recoil 350gr or 400gr loads. That said, for its purpose, the recoil is required!

😁 Most folks would shy away from my little hunt'n rifle then……57 ft/lbs! 😉 Though I'll readily admit, 20 rounds at one sitt'n from the bench is plenty. When younger, it was a bit easier!

Something I failed to mention, and maybe I'm full of it, but I really believe that good muscle tone also helps the shooter tolerate recoil better! That's my story and I'm stick'n to it! 😉 memtb