Ouch this gun hurts! Opinions??

My Tikka altrelite in 30-06 was bought with elk in mind. Problem was it kickt like a mule and actually knocked me out doing load workup for it.
My solutions to make it work include the following.
#1 recoil pad, it helped a little but not enough!
#2 longer eye relief scope, never knockt me out after that but recoil was not fun!
#3 muzzle break adapter and a Gemtec suppressor, now its fun to shoot!!!
The down side is its no longer altralite with the suppressor and bipod on it. It also carries a little front heavy.
Having said all that my last three elk have been taken with a 7mag, a borrowed Sako 300Winmag and a Tikka lite in 6.5x55 but the 06 has taken a few coyotes, antalope and deer.

MachV, I killed my first elk and many after that with a 30-06 180 gr Partitions.I changed the stock as it kicked pretty hard even for a fit young man.
Got a Browns precision stock and bedded the stock with pillars and it shot much better.
A quality fitting stock can make a HUGE difference.

This is how I tame recoil in LIGHT WEIGHT rifles…
Get yourself a Pachmeyer Decelerator recoil pad fitted. My 375 Weatherby has lightweight HS-Precision Sporter stock, the rifle not only recoils hard and fast, but also twists to the left from torque of the bullet. Weighs just under 10lbs. The Pachmeyer made a huge difference over the hard original pad, so this has been done to quite a few of my rifles. My 300RUM SPS still has the original Limbsaver from Remington, it does a good job too.

Cheers.

This is how I tame recoil in LIGHT WEIGHT rifles…
Get yourself a Pachmeyer Decelerator recoil pad fitted. My 375 Weatherby has lightweight HS-Precision Sporter stock, the rifle not only recoils hard and fast, but also twists to the left from torque of the bullet. Weighs just under 10lbs. The Pachmeyer made a huge difference over the hard original pad, so this has been done to quite a few of my rifles. My 300RUM SPS still has the original Limbsaver from Remington, it does a good job too.

Cheers.

That description of recoil sounds oddly familiar! memtb

That description of recoil sounds oddly familiar! memtb
Funny thing, my CZ550 Safari Magnum in 416 Rigby came with a Decellerator as standard, the 375 Weatherby still feels faster in recoil…
Don't really notice the recoil until I step up into true big bores, 500 Nitro has a good push in a 16lb double…

Cheers.

No way i'd want a 300 wby in a lightweight rifle.

How light is too light……assuming it's not breaked? 8.5 to 9 pounds "all up" should be very tolerable for most rifleman. Though, that in a hunting rifle, not a rifle for lots of bench shooting! More than 20 or 30 rounds in an afternoon may be more than enjoyable! memtb

300 Ultra…no brake on that one. I'm just a little guy...just saying

IMG_3035.jpeg
IMG_3036.jpeg

So I have a Vanguard in .300 WBY. Took it to the range today to get it ready for an elk hunt next year and let me tell you what. She HURTS!! 5 shots and I said that's enough. So looking for options. What can I do to this gun to make the recoil less? Should I just sell and buy an easier on the shoulder elk gun? What do you guys think?
Muzzle brake and a limb saver recoil pad.