Ouch this gun hurts! Opinions??

So I have a Vanguard in .300 WBY. Took it to the range today to get it ready for an elk hunt next year and let me tell you what. She HURTS!! 5 shots and I said that's enough. So looking for options. What can I do to this gun to make the recoil less? Should I just sell and buy an easier on the shoulder elk gun? What do you guys think?
Sell it trade it or give it away. If it has enough recoil to make it hurt it will have an effect on your ability to shoot it accurately. (flinching)

Muzzle brake and Limbsaver recoil pad... or purchase a 7mm PRC. If you only hunt elk and larger then maybe a 300 PRC. You'd still want a good brake and recoil pad, or if allowed definitely go for a suppressor. Aside from harsh recoil, nice to minimize muzzle jump for spotting hits and fast follow-up shots if needed. Many other good options as well...
Word of caution about limb saver recoiled pads, they haven't held up well for me, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the 2 I had began to break down after 5 or 6 years, just a few weeks ago I dug out my 416, been sitting in a house safe untouched for about 4 years, it was stuck to the carpet and is sticky gooey to the touch, I believe if I were to shoot it that ***** going to ruin whatever shirt im wearing.

When hunting with a brake do you all use hearing protection?
My style I'd never have time.
Once you lose your hearing it is lost forever. 9 yrs Navy & 26 yrs a LEO. I destroyed mine at the shooting range. I strongly suggest a set of ear plugs. Buy something that you can hear game but has 15 to 25 db reduction of a rifle firing near your ears.

Recoil pads, weight and brakes help a lot if the issue is truely recoil. If the issue is noise and concussion, then I think a suppressor might offer more help.

Honestly, I feel like most people are better to chase a quarter mile elk capability. …with minimal recoil…this mindset makes 270 win, 280ai, 308, with mono's look a lot better. Yes, put a brake and a Kickeeze on it! Yes, don't buy it as a 6lb gun! A 7lb 270 with a decent mild brake and a 2lb scope would be a real pussycat.

When hunting with a brake do you all use hearing protection?
My style I'd never have time.
IF, you don't have Time for, Ear Plugs get, a SMALLER Cartridge Rifle, like,. a 6.5 PRC or, .270 WSM, Tikka, ** 24 inch Barrel **, launching 140 grain, Bergers or, 143 gr. ELD-X's at, 3,100 to 3,200 FPS that, ARE,. "Plenty" For, Elk to,. 600-750 Yards WITHOUT, the "Horrible" Recoil And,..
Muzzle,.. "Blast" ! One or, Two shots without, ear Plugs "Probably" won't hurt your Hearing too,. "Bad" ( Yup,. I've Done,. It ).
2 Elk w/ .270 WSM Dropped like,. PoleAxed,. those .338's and .300 Mag's, are NOT necessary, to Kill Elk at,.. REASONABLE,. Ranges !

Last edited:
Everybody that I know that has a WBY Vanguard wants to sell them.
I am not knocking the WBY Vanguard - -Just what other owner told me. Especially the 7mm WBY Mag. They take it to the range and put it up after a few shots.
Then you must not know many people with Vanguards. I have at least a dozen, shot 3 today. They're great rifles.

You can go with a 300 win mag
shoot once and you never feel recoil when shooting at a 6X6 Bull.
This is true of any cartridge.
The difference in recoil between a 300 Win and 300 Wby is minimal.

Like the OP, I have a 300 Weatherby Vanguard that I put a brake on to help mitigate the recoil. My question is: do suppressors reduce the recoil as much as a good brake? My other rifles are all suppressed but for this one, I would need a different suppressor. I am asking because in all the posts I have not really seen an answer before.
No, suppressors are not as effective at recoil reduction as muzzle brakes. However, the muzzle blast can contribute to flinching too and certainly distracts/alarms game. I was shooting my 300 prc with and without my muzzle brake yesterday and it certainly felt like a 40% reduction or more. It wasn't painful to shoot, but certainly no chance that I could spot my own impacts inside 500 yds.

Suppressors are not legal in my area, but I have used them on a hunt and on several shooting courses. If I had the choice, I wouldn't shoot my rifles or hunt without one even with hearing protection.

Once you lose your hearing it is lost forever. 9 yrs Navy & 26 yrs a LEO. I destroyed mine at the shooting range. I strongly suggest a set of ear plugs. Buy something that you can hear game but has 15 to 25 db reduction of a rifle firing near your ears.
Absolutely this. I am getting older now as I just turned 55 couple months ago. But a few years ago I started to take my hearing more serious. Be it my john deer ride on lawn mower, leave blower, tri.mers edgers etc. And especially around my guns be it hunting or shooting.
While hunting a few years ago I decided to look into hearing protection in the field. I was also worried about that dreaded " I didn't have time to put my ears on issue. So I looked and looked and looked some more and found my answer. This is easily the best purchase item for hunting I just about ever bought. It's flat out amazing.
Just get a great muzzlebrake on your rifle and recoil is a non issue anymore. Wear these or something else like it for ear protection.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240831_122314_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240831_122314_Chrome.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 40
IF, you Do decide on, a Muzzle Brake For Hunting, I'd Look at, the PVA, Jet Blast, "Back Country" Model as they have, Designed them to, DIVERT the Muzzle, "Blast" AWAY from, the Shooter,. But, I'd STILL, Wear Plugs, just to,.. Be SAFE !
My Family of, 4 Hunters, All HAVE, these Brakes, on Our,.. Hunting Rifles, Now.
We Hunt SLOW and TRY hard, NOT to,.. "Jump",. the Elk so that, we HAVE TIME to,.. Use, Plugs !

Last edited:
A note, that the 300 Wby has ~20% more recoil energy and a faster recoil velocity than the 300 win mag, which has stout recoil itself. I shot a 7 RM for years before deciding to get a 6.5 PRC for deer and smaller and a 300 PRC for elk/moose and larger. The 7 RM has ~ 40% less recoil than a 300 Wby and is plenty for elk. A 7 PRC may have been a better choice for me, but I do believe 30 cal magnums are better for elk if you can learn to shoot them well.

A 300 Wby has more recoil than a lot of shooters can handle. If you hand load, you may be able to work up an accurate load with less recoil if a muzzle brake, recoil pad and/or adding weight to the rifle doesn't help. You WILL have to rezero when you take the muzzlebrake off before hunting season.

Check out https://chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm for some quantified recoil amounts. The Backfire table is also good.

My brother has a Vanguard 300 WBY and it does have some punch. But, all it needs is a good slip on recoil pad. Get one of the limbsavers like the one below and give it a try, really takes the thump out of it. It's quick inexpensive and easy try. Brakes work, but are expensive and time consuming to have installed and good hearing protection with them is mandatory (you really need it without a brake too...).
Get some of the good electronic ear protection mentioned above, even if you shoot without a brake. Good hearing protection is a GOOD investment. Spend the money on the electronic hearing protection and a good slip on recoil pad and go get your elk.

https://limbsaver.com/products/airtech-slip-on-recoil-pad

Big magnums are not fun to shoot at the range to me. They are rifles for a purpose. As long as you can avoid developing a flinch and get it dialed in, it will be bad medicine on your quarry. The .300 WBY wouldn't be my first choice for elk, but it will get the job done as long as you do your job.
While I agree with your statement that big magnums are no fun to shoot at the range, I shoot my 338 Lapua Magnum at my local range. It does hav a muzzle brake, but in the interest of my fellow shooters, I always ask for a position at the far end of the range, away from other shooters. Interestingly, I attract others who seem fascinated by "big thunder," some asking to try it out. At my advanced age, 80 plus, I shoot from a sled. My only sport at this time is chasing the mythical .000' group. In a typical session, I will shoot 100 minimum rounds. I shoot only ten at a time, then retire to the seating area behind the line to rest the old back. By the way, "Big Thunder is in the profile pic.

Thanks for the info. Intuitively, I thought suppressors reduced recoil less but wasn't sure. For years I lived where suppressors were not legal and then three years ago moved to Oregon. Suppressors are great for noise friendly shooting and hearing protection but my current suppressors only handle up to 7 mag. I have been contemplating replacing the brakes on my Weatherby and Rum with a can but sounds like I will pass on that one.

Recent Posts