Ouch this gun hurts! Opinions??

Muzzle brake and Limbsaver recoil pad... or purchase a 7mm PRC. If you only hunt elk and larger then maybe a 300 PRC. You'd still want a good brake and recoil pad, or if allowed definitely go for a suppressor. Aside from harsh recoil, nice to minimize muzzle jump for spotting hits and fast follow-up shots if needed. Many other good options as well...

I say load/shoot waaaay lighter bullets. You won't feel it when you put the cross hairs on the animal.

Shoot with a smaller caliber rifle and practice the fundatmentals. Then come season, bang...dead meat sausage.

I have a 300 ultra that had a carbon fiber barrel and a lightweight stock on it when I got it. My man card made me load and shoot it without a brake. It was like being in a fight, but you know going in you may get punched in the face. It now wears a brake, but if you are not shooting long range, a brake can be challenging as you need time to set up and get ear pro in.

Most of the things were suggested above,lighter weight bullet or better recoil pad or brake or add more weight to the rifle. A suppressor will pull triple duty!! It will do what a break can do and more because it also adds weight to the rifle protecting your hearing is another plus and not spook game as much yet another plus !

Quote from Shane: It now wears a brake, but if you are not shooting long range, a brake can be challenging as you need time to set up and get ear pro in

Prexactly! Hunting in mixed terrain, on foot……things can and do happen rather quickly.

Long range hunting from a stationary position in open country, is a good example of when ear protection is a very practical component when hunting. 😉 memtb

Last edited:
When hunting with a brake do you all use hearing protection?
My style I'd never have time.
100% wear ear pro. I have the orange ones that just hang on your neck. Pop them in real quick before the shot. Taking a few shots with a brake with no ear pro with absolutely wreck your ears.

100% wear ear pro. I have the orange ones that just hang on your neck. Pop them in real quick before the shot. Taking a few shots with a brake with no ear pro with absolutely wreck your ears.

And……a few shots "without" a brake, as in hunting conditions, will likely "not" permanently damage your shoulder! 😉 memtb