What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Do you use MOA or MIL

• MIL

Votes: 277 27.2%
  • MOA

Votes: 741 72.8%

• Total voters
Voted for the MIL system.

I have used both on leupold scopes. My vx3 has the moa with the varmint recticle. Which is fine and has its place.
My mark 4 has the tmr. the clincher for me is having the ability to range, if, for some reason, my range finder and I decide not to get along (which happened in september) Knowing the estimated size of my target, the mil system allows me to accurately range and shoot by either using a particular hash mark or dial into the yardage.

Last edited:
For clarification, I just want to reiterate that a shooter can use either MIL or MOA to range or estimate target size. They both are angular measurement so they both work equally well, it's just that MIL requires a different formula than MOA.

Just clarifying this as there have been a number of posts here stating they selected a certain option because of its ability to range or measure.

Scot E.

For clarification, I just want to reiterate that a shooter can use either MIL or MOA to range or estimate target size. They both are angular measurement so they both work equally well, it's just that MIL requires a different formula than MOA.

Correct, but which one is easier:

x / 1000

or

tan(x/60)

Not everyone is a math genius and can solve the latter on the fly... :D

Correct, but which one is easier:

x / 1000

or

tan(x/60)

Not everyone is a math genius and can solve the latter on the fly... :D

What is interesting is some will find MIL easier to do in their head than MOA and vise versa. Hence the reason I stated what I did. Find the system you like best, make sure the math is doable for you and then go with it. The reality is though that the math on either system is plenty doable with a little practice.

There are 2 formulas for ranging that are both pretty simple and very similar.

MOA- target size in inches / MOA reading x 100 = distance to target in yards
MIL- target size in inches x 27.8 / MIL reading= distance to target in yards.

One can also use target size in yards x 1000 / MIL reading = distance in yards

No trig needed! :)

I still think guys get too wrapped up in the math of it all. Unless you are ranging you shouldn't be using any math at all, just measure with the reticle and make the appropriate adjustments. If ranging is needed then there are simple basic math formulas that will get the job done.

Scot E.

Last edited:

Just clarifying this as there have been a number of posts here stating they selected a certain option because of its ability to range or measure.

Scot E.

Then I'll reiterate...
Easier with MIL. I've used it as it is meant, and a plex reticle/MOA or anything you wanna call it isn't as forgiving on the go. Thank God for MIL in the sandbox, and equally as much in my hardwoods.

Need to list both in the poll. I have a Vortex Viper and even though it has a Mil Dot reticle (which I prefer), it has MOA dials (which I prefer). I found that it is easier for me to range using the Mils, but when I need to dial for drop it's easier for me to use MOA dials. Not sure I would care much for a MOA/MOA scope or even a Mil/Mil.

Then I'll reiterate...
Easier with MIL. I've used it as it is meant, and a plex reticle/MOA or anything you wanna call it isn't as forgiving on the go. Thank God for MIL in the sandbox, and equally as much in my hardwoods.

Umm, not sure what your point is friend. If you go back and look I voted for MIL. I also don't shoot with a plex but prefer MIL hash.

I was simply trying to help newer shooters understand that MIL isn't the only system that can be used to range or determine target size. Both MOA and MIL can do that.

Scot E.

Umm, not sure what your point is friend. If you go back and look I voted for MIL. I also don't shoot with a plex but prefer MIL hash.

I was simply trying to help newer shooters understand that MIL isn't the only system that can be used to range or determine target size. Both MOA and MIL can do that.

Scot E.

I apologize if I came across as argumentative. I am aware of the truth in your statement, and I do agree.

My vote: MIL

With turrets, we have

MOA turrets (f.e. 1/4, 1/8)
IPHY (f.e. 1/4" / 100y)
MRAD

Then what's the system the Euro scopes are using (1cm / 100m) called?

:cool:

With turrets, we have

MOA turrets (f.e. 1/4, 1/8)
IPHY (f.e. 1/4" / 100y)
MRAD

Then what's the system the Euro scopes are using (1cm / 100m) called?

:cool:

Most MIL turrets are 1/10 clicks, meaning 10 clicks needed on the turret for each MIL of adjustment. So they are one in the same.

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.