What rifle would you build?

What I really like about the Sherman Shorts (pick your caliber (6mm, .25, 6.5mm, 7mm) is they fit properly in a short action with bullets bt junc above neck/shd junc, yet still get the vel of standard SAUM. You get tough ADG brass as well.

Manf almost killed a number of great cases trying to force them into Short actions, SAUM, WSM, 284Win, 6mm Rem, etc)

That 27 Sherman looks mighty interesting for sure. If you want off the shelf ammo probably stick with a PRC. I know a guy with a prc and a guy with a SAUM, and the PRC shoots faster. The SAUM ran into pressure signs way too early.

6 mm Creedmoor or a 243 with a 7.5 twist with 115gr Berger Hunter. 6.5 Creedmoor with a 7.5 or 8 twist with 130 or 140 gr Accubonds. I also like the 25 caliber but heavy high ballistic bullets are in good supply. All of these are light recoil easy loading and great ballistics out to 600-800 yards. My two pennies worth. Cheers and good luck on your decision.

Interested in getting ideas from the crowd for a rifle build for the 2025 hunting season.
Intended use is mostly Whitetails in TX and pronghorn if the gods of the draw allow it.
Distance: 600 and in.
Desired Barrel length: 18 inches to shoot suppressed
Desired muzzle velocity: 2800-2900 or faster.
Desired bullets: any heavy x caliber cup&core bullet, Berger, ELDs and the like. I’d leave monometal bullets out of the equation here.
Thanks
I'll try to stay on track haisardao. Assuming you are a handloader and you are going with a short action, the 6.5x47L is my all time favorite. I've built in in many configurations from hunting to tactical and f-class. It's a little hot-rod. I also hunt in texas and maneuvering a long rifle in a deer blind can be a pita. My deer blind rifle last year was a 16" barreled 6.5x47 on a krg stock/cassis. I call it the PUG. It's good to about 500 yds with a 130 hybrid otm. With a 18" barrel you'd be fine at 600 yards, sea level. Very versatile cartridge.

Attachments

• 20231024_174112.jpg
    20231024_174112.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20231024_174305.jpg
    20231024_174305.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 25
I'll try to stay on track haisardao. Assuming you are a handloader and you are going with a short action, the 6.5x47L is my all time favorite. I've built in in many configurations from hunting to tactical and f-class. It's a little hot-rod. I also hunt in texas and maneuvering a long rifle in a deer blind can be a pita. My deer blind rifle last year was a 16" barreled 6.5x47 on a krg stock/cassis. I call it the PUG. It's good to about 500 yds with a 130 hybrid otm. With a 18" barrel you'd be fine at 600 yards, sea level. Very versatile cartridge.
How fast you run it with that barrel?

I’d hate to know I accidentally shoulder shot a deer or pig in heavy brush with a 22 cal bullet. Or a 6mm.
Or hate to know the only angle I had was long raking.

Use enough bullet, use enough gun, put it in the right spot and hopefully avoid all the potential drama. It’s too easy to avoid it on the front end.

2650. Medium load. You can horse it with a VLD because they like touching the lands, or there about. Less bullet in powder column and you can compress H4350. Might get it to 2700_2750. Of course, work up to it. I had a 24" Shilen barrel that I could squeak 2950 out of with a 130 vld. 42g of h4350. Hot but very accurate. Again, be careful. Getting 3050 easily in a 30" batrel...

So many bullet and powder choices. 139 scenar and 140 hybrids like N550

I’d hate to know I accidentally shoulder shot a deer or pig in heavy brush with a 22 cal bullet. Or a 6mm.
Or hate to know the only angle I had was long raking.

Use enough bullet, use enough gun, put it in the right spot and hopefully avoid all the potential drama. It’s too easy to avoid it on the front end.
Then I'd vote for a 338 RCM...I use one of those too...I'd still vote 22 creed with shooting heavies as I've almost exclusively shot a 6 ARC and 22 creed the last 2 years --both have impressed me with what they do and we shoot a lot of critters the size he is talking about. Would I take it on a international hunt for ibex or Tur...no..I packed my 7 SAUM or RCM for that will I take my 22 creed on my place 15 min from my house to take my son hunting with all our gear and we can choose our shots and come back almost any time we want...yes too everyone's mileage varies. Again the fun part is picking.

You can also do it with the man-bun series cartridges and have off the shelf ammo available. But, if you are a handloader and want a little more range and still keep barrel short I would consider the sherman short series cartridges. 6.5ss is a pussycat but can also be loaded for elk. My son has it in 24" suppressed. We both have the 7ss in 18", 7max in 28" and 300mega, that I'm working on now. It will be 18" in a christensen mpr chassis, ultradyne brake. All of these are great for short rifles. The 300 mega is on a long action so there's a little more weight and length...