What rifle would you build?

How fast you run

Then I'd vote for a 338 RCM...I use one of those too...I'd still vote 22 creed with shooting heavies as I've almost exclusively shot a 6 ARC and 22 creed the last 2 years --both have impressed me with what they do and we shoot a lot of critters the size he is talking about. Would I take it on a international hunt for ibex or Tur...no..I packed my 7 SAUM or RCM for that will I take my 22 creed on my place 15 min from my house to take my son hunting with all our gear and we can choose our shots and come back almost any time we want...yes too everyone's mileage varies. Again the fun part is picking.
I do like the 338 RCM. Intrigued. Can you get brass?

For the intended animals and ranges you mentioned I’d put something together using the 6mm calibers…lots to choose from….243, 6XC, or 6CM would be the easy button.

For the intended animals and ranges you mentioned I’d put something together using the 6mm calibers…lots to choose from….243, 6XC, or 6CM would be the easy button.
May have a hard time getting appropriate energy at 600 yards and a 18" barrel with those cartridges. Not trying to be a butt but I was curious and ran the numbers. A 105grain hybrid at 3000fps will do it. But the 18" barrel handicaps you.

Since guys are throwing in bigger calibers why not a 270 WSM 7.5 twist and run 175gr Sierra TGK it knocks the crap out of an elk at 400 yds
Such a great cartridge. I just finished one with a 7twist. Still working through break in but it’s very promising.

IMG_2020.jpeg

6.5 RPM, Weatherby’s new offering in the 6.5 game. Offers +3000 fps velocity, readily available, stamped brass, and high quality commercially available ammo. I was in the process of having 6.5-06AI built when Weatherby introduced the 6.5 RPM. I’m old. My son’s won’t want any more wildcats. So, this round is a perfect addition to my 6.5 collection. Great long range, medium sized game getter. I’ll still carry my 300 Win Mag for elk and moose. Although, this 6.5 offers the 1500 ft-lb energy at impact distance for bigger game too.

I do like the 338 RCM. Intrigued. Can you get brass?
I don't know any more--I bought 500 peices when I built 2 a few years ago--I almost exclusively hand load but like head stamped brass. The RCM works well out of 16-20 inch barrels. We shoot it with 225-250 grain bullets.

The RCM is a real sleeper--

May have a hard time getting appropriate energy at 600 yards and a 18" barrel with those cartridges. Not trying to be a butt but I was curious and ran the numbers. A 105grain hybrid at 3000fps will do it. But the 18" barrel handicaps you.
Yeah, you’re likely right. I overlooked the 18” barrel. Likely could get 3000fps but with a 20-22” min.

That 27 Sherman looks mighty interesting for sure. If you want off the shelf ammo probably stick with a PRC. I know a guy with a prc and a guy with a SAUM, and the PRC shoots faster. The SAUM ran into pressure signs way too early.
Sounds like a barrel or brass issue. SAUM should outrun a PRC by 100-150+fps.

Recent Posts