What rifle would you build?

I just built and am having a blast shooting my 338 Mega. But I fully realize it isn't necessary for the type of hunting that I do. It doesn't make it less fun though. :) It also isn't the gun I am pulling out if I want to shoot a whitetail, pronghorn, or black bear.
I don't know I am having such a blast with my 338 Mega 21.5" ; I'd be tempted to pull it out for a squirrel hunt at this point let alone WT. It's my main rifle this deer/black bear season. It can just pre-tenderize some of the meat for me. Have it on the bench right now to put new scope rings on . If I get down to Tx it will stretch its legs on some hogs. There will be a couple more Sherman's added to the stable over the next yr or so.

I know the question was to build, but the 338 rpm backcounty line offering 18" rifles - 185 class bullets would most likely near your expectations as they are rated at 3100 out of 24"?

I have several backcountry rifles not yet in the rpm or shorter barrel but they are all LW and a pleasure to shoot plus very accurate. Just a thought;

I know the question was to build, but the 338 rpm backcounty line offering 18" rifles - 185 class bullets would most likely near your expectations as they are rated at 3100 out of 24"?

I have several backcountry rifles not yet in the rpm or shorter barrel but they are all LW and a pleasure to shoot plus very accurate. Just a thought;
Good point, I’ve been wanting to check those out for a bit, worth considering for sure.

I understand both the original ask and the post you responded to. In the post you responded to, the 6mm Creedmoor was referenced. Getting 2900 fps from an 18" barrel with 108 grain bullets is very achievable. I used the 108 grain ELD-M in my calculations at 2900 fps, which would result in over 1900 fps at 600 yards. That bullet at that speed would stone any whitetail or antelope walking this planet.
I concede. Based on what others are saying elsewhere, they are getting 2900ish with an 18" barrel in their 6mm creedmoors with heavies. Now I'm going to have to build one lol.

for a 22 cal bullet of questionable construction, I assume only perfect broadside shots should be attempted?
I’m asking because I have zero experience shooting big game with anything less than .257
And zero desire to tempt fate.
I’ve found nothing better at stopping bullets than wild pigs, and I have killed a bunch of them, to include several with the 88gr ELD-M from my .22GT. I have only done mild quartering and broadside shots on pigs with my .22GT. I don’t recall one running more than about 30 yards. Ranges have been from 175 to 469 yards, and weights from 100 to 200 pounds. I don’t recall any exit wounds, but all very quick or instant kills. Killed two Whitetails this fall, both at about 410 yards. The farthest made it about 50 yards. Good exits on both.

If an 88gr ELD launched at 3000 fps+ is any less effective than other rifles I have killed stuff with, I am unable to detect it. Those other cartridges include the .270, the 30/06, the .250AI, the 22-250, the .223, .243, 6mm Rem, 6.5x47, .260, 6.5 Creedmoor, and the .308.

But, with the .22GT, it is much easier to hit with. Low recoil makes it easy to manage and spot impacts. High velocity with a relatively high BC bullet is more forgiving of both range errors and bad wind calls. It is a very effective combination. The same could be said for most fast-twisted .22s. If doing it again I would go with the .22 Creedmoor simply because it is now a SAAMI spec factory loaded cartridge.

John

I’ve found nothing better at stopping bullets than wild pigs, and I have killed a bunch of them, to include several with the 88gr ELD-M from my .22GT. I have only done mild quartering and broadside shots on pigs with my .22GT. I don’t recall one running more than about 30 yards. Ranges have been from 175 to 469 yards, and weights from 100 to 200 pounds. I don’t recall any exit wounds, but all very quick or instant kills. Killed two Whitetails this fall, both at about 410 yards. The farthest made it about 50 yards. Good exits on both.

If an 88gr ELD launched at 3000 fps+ is any less effective than other rifles I have killed stuff with, I am unable to detect it. Those other cartridges include the .270, the 30/06, the .250AI, the 22-250, the .223, .243, 6mm Rem, 6.5x47, .260, 6.5 Creedmoor, and the .308.

But, with the .22GT, it is much easier to hit with. Low recoil makes it easy to manage and spot impacts. High velocity with a relatively high BC bullet is more forgiving of both range errors and bad wind calls. It is a very effective combination. The same could be said for most fast-twisted .22s. If doing it again I would go with the .22 Creedmoor simply because it is now a SAAMI spec factory loaded cartridge.

John
This has been what I've seen too. Not to beat the proverbial dead horse, but heavy 22 Cal bullets have killed very well for us. I orginally got the 22 creed for a coyote rifle. My son shot a couple raccoons and one feral cat with it then wanted to use it on big game as he like its size and report with a suppressor on it. We shot a big axis doe last year at 230 with a high shoulder shot dropped right there--2 Aoudad ewes one at 165 and one a bit over 400--the one at 400 walked 10 feet and laid down the other ran about 40 yards and did a flip. I shot one hog --about 150 lbs at 220 yards --head shot--didn't take a step. I kind of wish mine had a 1-7 to 1-6.5 twist to shoot some of the heavy copper stuff but I am tethered to 75 grain copper and 88 grain cup and core--which I guess is plenty. Are there better solutions for big game hunting..yes... but I have enjoyed it. That is what why I said--you wouldn't hate it. I find it in the truck pretty often --along with a 16 in suppressed 6 ARC bolt gun...both are...just pleasant.

I don't know I am having such a blast with my 338 Mega 21.5" ; I'd be tempted to pull it out for a squirrel hunt at this point let alone WT. It's my main rifle this deer/black bear season. It can just pre-tenderize some of the meat for me. Have it on the bench right now to put new scope rings on . If I get down to Tx it will stretch its legs on some hogs. There will be a couple more Sherman's added to the stable over the next yr or so.

Tim,

This is what it will do to hogs. Shot entered just in front of the rear ham of the red pig, exited just under the offside eye, entered the black pig behind the shoulder and exited at the middle of the neck (second picture you can see the exit).

That was with a 225 grain Nosler AB launched at 2920 fps. Shot was 122 yards.
20240220_181302.jpg
20240220_181327.jpg

Tim,

This is what it will do to hogs. Shot entered just in front of the rear ham of the red pig, exited just under the offside eye, entered the black pig behind the shoulder and exited at the middle of the neck (second picture you can see the exit).

That was with a 225 grain Nosler AB launched at 2920 fps. Shot was 122 yards.
View attachment 581277View attachment 581278
What reamer did you use on the 338 Mega, I know there are two different free bore options.
Thanks

What reamer did you use on the 338 Mega, I know there are two different free bore options.
Thanks
Just to add another option, that's the 300 mega on right, followed by 7max, 6.5ss and 6br, lol. Sent to my son yesterday as a guessing game. The 300 mega has the 215 hybrid seated long (long action reamer). Bullet .025 off lands. Base of bullet slightly above neck/shoulder junction. Finished rifle yesterday so I don't have any load data. Starting with 62gr h4350. Already fireformed; I have another barrel for that.

Attachments

• 20240623_134615.jpg
    20240623_134615.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 14