What rifle would you build?

Interested in getting ideas from the crowd for a rifle build for the 2025 hunting season.
Intended use is mostly Whitetails in TX and pronghorn if the gods of the draw allow it.
Distance: 600 and in.
Desired Barrel length: 18 inches to shoot suppressed
Desired muzzle velocity: 2800-2900 or faster.
Desired bullets: any heavy x caliber cup&core bullet, Berger, ELDs and the like. I’d leave monometal bullets out of the equation here.
Thanks
Easy button - 6 Creed. Texas whitetail aren’t hard to kill at all.

If you just want more horsepower, 6 SAUM.

No need to get bougie with the parameters you laid out.

Easy button - 6 Creed. Texas whitetail aren’t hard to kill at all.

If you just want more horsepower, 6 SAUM.

No need to get bougie with the parameters you laid out.
I happen to have a 6 SAUM reamer right here, waiting for a Hart barrel to arrive, might just need to make it a shorty!

Looks amazing, I shoot a 25 SST but get nowhere near that speed from a 26 inch barrel. Are you using 6.5 PRC/SI dies? Thanks
I have a 26" 25SST. 133s @ 3240fps w. H1000 in a well broken in barrel.

This 25PRC/SI has 74 rounds down the barrel so far.

Using my 6.5PRC/SI bushing FL die, just swapped to a .285 bushing.

Interested in getting ideas from the crowd for a rifle build for the 2025 hunting season.
Intended use is mostly Whitetails in TX and pronghorn if the gods of the draw allow it.
Desired bullets: any heavy x caliber cup&core bullet, Berger, ELDs and the like. I’d leave monometal bullets out of the equation here.
Thanks
This depends on whether you are trying to fill a gap. I hesitated to respond when you first posted because I did not know what you had in your inventory.

I have a 26" 25SST. 133s @ 3240fps w. H1000 in a well broken in barrel.

This 25PRC/SI has 74 rounds down the barrel so far.

Using my 6.5PRC/SI bushing FL die, just swapped to a .285 bushing.
Mine is around 100 fps slower, I'm at 3110 with 135 LRHT and H1000(59), I am right at 102 rounds through my barrel so it might speed up a bit.

This depends on whether you are trying to fill a gap. I hesitated to respond when you first posted because I did not know what you had in your inventory.
Thanks, yes, Gap filling would be the rational approach, but I am past the point of salvation in that regard. Just looking for a new fun project>
H

Thanks, yes, Gap filling would be the rational approach, but I am past the point of salvation in that regard. Just looking for a new fun project>
H
I know what you mean. I never had a .25 cal or owned a Weatherby cartridge. I am not a fan of a proprietary cartridge, but I caved in and went with a .257 Weatherby. It is a 22" 1:7" suppressed. I am propelling the 163 Chinchaga at 2915 FPS out of it with still room to spare. So, a 133/135 Berger out of 18" would meet/exceed your FPS goal. Good luck and happy, safe shooting/hunting.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I never had a .25 cal or owned a Weatherby cartridge. I am not a fan of a proprietary cartridge, but I caved in and went with a .257 Weatherby. It is a 22" 1:7" suppressed. I am propelling the 163 Chinchaga out of it with still room to spare. So, a 133/135 Berger out of 18" would meet/exceed your FPS goal. Good luck and happy, safe shooting/hunting.
I have been a 257 wby Uber fan -- got my first one when I was 19 and 29 years latter still have two in the safe. I swore off wildcats about 15 years ago--I have been really watching hoping someone would commercialize a 25-6.8 western or a 25-7 PRC--I'd prefer the shorter so I could maximize a good burn in a short tube, and the fast twist and heavy bullets cases would work perfect. Love using suppressors--and for Texas 25s are the perfect do all...

Thanks
6 prcsi has got me chewing on a rechamber and new bolt! Thanks LanceK