What is the most hated deer rifle you owned ?

Ruger m77 .308 rsi tang safety, the most inaccurate rifle I ever owned, it was beyond description how bad it was.
This triggers me. My ruger m77 Hawkeye compact with 16.5" barrel shoots 140 grain hammers at 2900fps under an inch if I can pull that heavy a** trigger correctly. Love that gun. Of course 0% of the barrel is free floated so that maybe a contributing factor to some people's accuracy issues

Bergara wilderness terrain in 6.5 creedmoor. Warm barrel it would shoot under half. Next day same load cold barrel was 3", I wasted so many components on that gun. It's the gun that started me building custom rifles, I'll never buy another production rifle. I know a lot of people love them, not me. Lol

I was gonna do load development for a buddies Browning stainless stalker, plastic stock, pencil barrel, think it weighed 7-7.5 pounds fully dressed. Shot it 3 times and told him to just by some factory Berger ammo. He was pleased with the grouping and I didn't have to shoot that donkey kicking sumbeach any more. So I guess there was 2 hunting rifles I hated😆

Pa. white tail gun! Rem 760 pump in 30-06. Think it had a 16 inch barrel. That thing kicked so hard it rattled my teeth!! Blackened my eye more than once! Had to wait for my Sis & BIL to pass before I could sell it since they gave it to me. Never forget that one!!

If I had a rifle I did not like, it was not owned long. Thinking on it, I can't think of a single rifle I have ever owned that I did not truly like or love. I have never bought a rifle sight unseen, and you can tell by looking at most if you will like them. All have been good shooters, so I guess I have been lucky.

I bought an 80's Push Feed Mod 70- Featherweight in 7x57 off Gunbroker once. When I took it apart for a much needed cleaning (even the scope bases had rust oozing out from under) a bunch of shims fell out/scattered. That was my first clue. Upon reassembling (with no shims, just to see) I couldn't get on paper at 50yards! Upon close examination, the scope holes were drilled way off Center. I sold it, as I hate shims and there was no guarantee it even shot right when shimmed. My "first" deer rifle as a 13yr old was an H&R Topper in 30-30. One kicking little snot! I could barely manage a 5" group at 75yds. Never killed a deer with it, sold it. Then traded a saddle for a Universal M1 Carbine with about a 10# trigger pull. Jammomatic. I could go on about other junk guns, thats why I ended up a Looney, buying/trying, selling/trading for the last 60 years, ha! BTW, I have "zero tolerance" for unreliable junk! Zero! lol

Last edited:
Q: What is the most hated deer rifle you owned?

A: None.
I started out with a 7.65 Argentine Mauser that was "sporterized" at age 12-13. It was not very accurate, nor was I at that age, but I have never had a gun that I hated. Some are better shooters than others but I enjoyed them all and learned things along the way.

Remington (what were they called 760 or something like that)30-06 4 " group at 100 yards
Got it horse trading and soon traded it in on a new 700 30-06 with which I killed many elk & deer!
You certainly traded up. My Dad had a Winchester mod. 100 that neither shot well but also was the devil to load for. I have a Remington 740 that shoots much better but I keep it because it shoots reloads without fail without small base dies. My expectations of how I could tighten up my groups changed when I got my first Remington model 700. It was amazing!

I bought my Uncle's Mod 742 , back in '75 when he was in a financial Bind ($85) I used it that deer season while he was saving to buy it back. Jammomatic 30-06, about a 6" group with Remington 150sl but found some Red Box Federal ammo loaded with the Sierra 165 BT. I shrunk the groups to 4", but I killed all my game that year ( deer/hogs) from 15 to 40 yds! ha Big Thicket, SE, Texas. You racked in/chambered good that first round, and you could count on it, but it jammed or failed to load after that. Basically a single shot. Only saving grace those Mod 742's had were they were fine handling rifles! ha I also noticed that the short rounds, i.e. 308 and 6mm Remington worked swell.