What is the most hated deer rifle you owned ?

My first rifle, a hand-me-down from Dad...300 Savage on an Arisaka WW2 sporter from the 50's. What a lump! It was my Dad's first hunting rifle and donated by the friend that got him into hunting. Don't remember what happened to it but, thankfully, it's long gone!

I wonder if the hard plastic butt pads and the thin ones where replaced how the felt recoil would change
I might have to try it. I loaded 90 grain hollow points for it to shoot prairie dogs and those weren't too bad. I've got a couple slip on ones I will have to take it out again.

A Magna-Ported Marlin Lever Action in .450 Marlin. Though beautiful to look it was extremely loud, kicked like a mule, hard to find ammo for and would struggle to hold 2 M.O.A. at 100 Yards. It gave me a new level of appreciation for the Model 700 😁

While not a deer rifle, the biggest chunk of excrement I have ever owned was a Henry 22 Mag lever gun I won at an SCI dinner.. I tried every brand of ammo i could find and three different scopes... I couldn't hit a barn door from the inside. It went to Gunbroker.. Hope you didn't get it..:cool:
Same here. Could not hit a paper plate at 30 yards. No kidding! I tried every .22 mag ammo brand made at the time.

Not mine, but my uncle's 7mm Weatherby Mag. Heavy-assed trigger, kicks like a mule, and the Z6 scope on it is super parallax-sensitive. Really difficult to shoot all-around, but he keeps on using it (and missing frequently).

My most hated rifle was a Brown Precision 350 rem mag AI. 250gr partitions at 2850fps. Sub moa shooter. I could get 3,000fps with a 225gr partition. The rifle was sub 6 pounds scoped and loaded. Beat he'll out of me. I actually beat a Swarovski scope in to pieces working loads up from the bench. Of course, they fixed it for free. Recoil had peened the adjustment screws flat. They came out with their PH series.
They Had hardened screws which cured the problem. Ended up rebarreling it.

Last edited:

Recent Posts