What is a typical mountain rifle build?

I think 8 lbs. and down loaded is a good place to be.
scope and all? I like about a 10 lb rig loaded....somewhere in there...my savage 708 comes in at 9 lbs....scope and scope level...stock bag and bummer...I forgot the bipod and sling....so perhaps it is a 10-11 pounder....it carries well in my back pack...lighter than my Remington 700 in the 7 mag....has the bushnell dmrii scope and a boyds laminated stock....the action is bedded with a couple pounds of devcon 10110...maybe only a pound...but she is pretty heavy

Yes, scope and all. 8 lb. is about as light as I can shoot well though. Doesn't count the bipod though. Think I would just shoot off my pack for a longer shot.
yeah...I hate my sons tikka 270...that thing has a vortex viper and it boots the hell out of ya....I am a fan of a little heavier rifle. my 243 is the lrp….it is HEAVY....and has little recoil....I like it....

So after all your suggestions I've modified my 280 A.I. build. I am curious to know what the opinions on it are.

• Remington 700 BDL LA trued by NSS (39oz)
  • Sin Arms R700 bolt fluting (-1oz*)
  • McGowen #3 Remage 24" fluted barrel (48oz*)
  • NSS squared and trued barrel nut (1oz*)
  • NSS squared and trued .250" recoil lug (2oz*)
  • APA Micro Bastard gen 2 (1.8oz)
  • Manners MCS-EH1 carbon fiber stock (28oz)
  • Manners sling studs (x3) and 9/16" pillars (2oz*)
  • Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm Impact-29 scope (19oz)
  • Iota Outdoors Triad 30mm Med scope rings (3oz)
  • Butler Creek scope covers (2oz*)
Total estimated weight is 144.8 oz (9.05lbs)

I was always originally shooting for under 9.5lbs and this looks like I'm definitely under it. Anything in this new build sticking out like a sore thumb that I'm not seeing? I really have to thank you all for the help.

20181209_073239.jpg 20181209_073249.jpg rem 700 trued 30 nosler rock magnum spotter McMillan hunters edge vx6 3-18 aluminum bottom metal harrels brake that's as light as I can enjoy shooting, but i pack it all day and at end wish it was about 4 pounds. I have a manners on my other rifle and dont care for the feel of it pick up and handle them both 1st.280ai at 7 pounds and no break would be a good choice. My 2cents worth

Ruby76 said watch I was going to say...the accent Kimber in a AI is pretty light. But if your a lefty I have a basner it weighs about 20 oz and is inletted for a stiller tac 300..I'd take $150 for the stock with was inletted for a #2 contour..and BDL style bottom metal

I have a Kimber 84m and loaded out is under 7.5lbs. It shoots lights out with factory and handloads. Oh ya 6.5 creed

Well my 6.5slr remington is 7.14 oz. For now it will have to do but I wish I could get a creed at about 6 pounds it's just a bunch of money I guess.

Yea it might lately I take a lot more pics through my spotting scope than shooting animals that's why I would like to get a light as is reasonable. More packing them than shooting them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.