New Mountain Rifle

KamoAggie

Thank everyone for the input a number of months ago on this site. I got my rifle done and thought I would share some pics and real time info.

I had it built at by Alamo Precision Rifles
6.5PRC
McMillan Hunter Edge-Tech stock in Woodland Carbon Ambush
Lone Peak Razor TI action (short)
24" Proof Carbon Lite Sendero barrel
Jewel Trigger
Harrells Gill direction brake (not pictured)
APR bottom metal and extended wyatts box
Hawkins rings
Leupold VX-6HD 4x18x44

Rifle only = 5 pounds 15 onces
Rifle with scope and rings = 7 pounds 8 ounces

Target pictured is using Hornady factory ammo with 147 grain ELD-M. Those were shots #4-8 out of the barrel. Really happy with the whole set up!

IMG_0820.jpg
IMG_0843.jpg

The saying "happy trails" really applies here, wether your seeing any game or not you got a pretty picture to look at while your eating your Sammich!

PS. If you need a cheek riser, just order some thick kydex and some industrial Velcro. Witha heat gun, sandpaper and a little ingenuity you can have yourself an adjustable cheek riser. (And not have to drill your purdy carbon fiber stock) :D

80082ECE-BB3A-4673-BD55-778027A3743A.jpeg
3E4D360E-53F3-43D4-8590-3DC32F2B7F26.jpeg

Thank everyone for the input a number of months ago on this site. I got my rifle done and thought I would share some pics and real time info.

6.5PRC
Jewel Trigger
Hawkins rings
Leupold VX-6HD 4x18x44

Very good looking rifle however there is one thing that I do not understand. This may be relation to my age (I am 75) and have been hunting and shooting for a long - long time ! I have had several occasions where due to a variety of accidents and incidents my rifle was damaged, typically the optics was made inoperable ! If it had not been for the back up iron sights the hunt or shooting session would have been over and a lot of time and expense spent for nothing. I have become quite paranoid on this subject to the point that I will not own a rifle that does not have backup iron sights and I cannot understand the number of people I see with weapons that do not have any sighting backup. I noticed that your rifle does not have iron sights and was wondering if you could tell me why, surely not to save a couple of ounces ? Think of your self off in the mountains in the middle of a wild paradise and the unthinkable happens. You have just dropped you rifle or and horse stumbles and knocks your rifle against a rock out cropping and your scope has been damaged. You test shoot the rifle and find that your aim point wonders and you do not have any confidence in your rifles ability to hit a target that is more than fifty feet away. Now is your hunt over and is it time to pack up and head for home or are you able to simple remove your scope and double check the accuracy of your iron sights ?

6.5PRC
Jewel Trigger
Hawkins rings
Leupold VX-6HD 4x18x44

Rifle with scope and rings = 7 pounds 8 ounces

Target pictured is using Hornady factory ammo with 147 grain ELD-M. Those were shots #4-8 out of the barrel. Really happy with the whole set up!

View attachment 143807 View attachment 143808
very nice sir

Mark L:

I like the looks of that Kydex cheek piece. Could you tell us what thickness you got, what it took to bend and shape it, and maybe even suggest a source?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.